Author Topic: Saves to steam cloud  (Read 5648 times)

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
Saves to steam cloud
« on: May 06, 2012, 04:12:33 pm »
This not a suggestion at all, just a curiosity.
Some games, when you save, transparently saves the game with steam, so when you log in on another pc, you get the very same saves you had before. This works for some games that has both steam and non-steam version, so it's not all or nothing proposition.

This means that in theory AI War and AVWW could have an ability to save to steam cloud. Question to Chris, why not? I'm sure there is a good reason, just would be curious what it is.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Saves to steam cloud
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 06:34:11 pm »
I'm fairly certain that our NDA with Valve prevents me to getting into specifics.  But a few notes in no particular order:

- We're not C++ programmers, and hate working in that language any more than we have to.

- AI War saves are pretty large, and AVWW saves are enormous.

- AVWW saves data really frequently, much moreso than most games.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 07:10:03 pm »
Thank you. Fair enough. It's just I yesterday happened to launch Torchlight on a different pc and I was SO surprised to see the saves are available. Never realized that this was a possibility before that day =) With Legend of Grimrock I had to perform the dropbox dance to make this happen =)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 07:11:55 pm by zespri »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 09:07:56 am »
It's something that every game on Steam has access to, and Valve really did make it as simple as they possibly could.  But... well.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TKilburn

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 10:21:08 pm »
If anyone is still listening, please do not store save games on Steam’s cloud servers. Such servers are not centralized as one may expect.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 06:52:30 am »
Why is that a problem? Not that I have plans to store them on the steam cloud, but generally decentralized architecture is considered best for speed, reliability, and disaster recovery. See google, amazon, etc.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 03:45:49 pm »
Why is that a problem? Not that I have plans to store them on the steam cloud, but generally decentralized architecture is considered best for speed, reliability, and disaster recovery. See google, amazon, etc.

Yeah, I'd rather they weren't centralized in one location that can be taken out by a freak tornado. Or some other really bad disaster.
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 09:30:04 pm »
^ But they're save files. You already have them on your computer, and if your house were hit by a tornado, you would also lose all of them. Albeit that would be quite unfortunate, but that's not really my point there.
And... would valve not back up steam cloud's saves anyway?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk