Author Topic: DRM for online functions  (Read 43164 times)

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
Re: DRM for online functions
« Reply #165 on: September 06, 2012, 04:26:53 am »
You were actually able to have same account online twice?
I know you can do that with one copy in offline mode another online - it's then up to the game if it works in that configuration. I used that a bit to test multi between laptop and PC at home and games that have their own match making mechanic can work like that.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #166 on: September 06, 2012, 12:56:12 pm »
It would have had to be 1 offline and 1 online (or 2 offline) because steam won't allow 2 online from the same account, but that doesn't have anything to do with the game itself, it doesn't care.

Edit: also, if you run the AIWar.exe from inside the steam folder, I'm not sure you even need to have steam running.  Probably do, because of the steamworks integration (you could just use a non-steam copy, of course) to get your username and make the steam overlay work right, but it doesn't use steam-drm.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:58:06 pm by keith.lamothe »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #167 on: September 06, 2012, 03:39:01 pm »
Dad did have steam offline. Basically he turns it on only when he wants to update the game list, otherwise keeps it off to save bandwidth (he locks down his computer). He uses direct .exe whenever possible as well, and we used lan like procedures to play our games.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #168 on: September 06, 2012, 11:48:01 pm »
I have a question about the serial key actually. Would the game actually allow two players with identical serials play a game together? If not, would there actually be a problem if that were actually not allowed to happen?

1) Yes, two people with identical keys can currently play together.  I know, as I did this with the friend who introduced me, prior to buying my own copy.
2) Actually, yes.  If you activate with one key, there's no way to "revoke" that key and/or enter a new, different one (ditto expansions).
See, that's something that doesn't really set well with me. Typically even games very lax on DRM won't allow two people with identical keys to play together. Me, I just won't do it because I'd rather buy that person a copy of the game to play with that person, or even to show that person the ropes. But, the fact that it's there makes it too easy to spread one key around and have full and complete access to the entire game for free, and you can just play online with anybody you want. It's almost too free. Seems preferable to make it such that the game checks that two players' serial keys aren't identical in the lobby... but like, in practice, it still would probably have no noticeable impact on piracy rates.
It really just doesn't set well with me because of how crazy easy it is to just have a free copy of the game. I don't even see how it would be obtrusive. It'd only ever happen if you played a game with someone who had an identical key. You could install the game to as many computers as you want without any issue.

And yeah, the steam version can be launched without launching steam or the steam overlay. You just run the AIWar.exe and you get the game just like that. In fact, I think the auto updater launches the game in that way when it automatically relaunches after installing an update.

...all of that said though, I wouldn't support even this unless it would actually be worth the effort to prevent players from essentially giving away the game infinitely.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #169 on: September 07, 2012, 12:29:14 am »
I have a question about the serial key actually. Would the game actually allow two players with identical serials play a game together? If not, would there actually be a problem if that were actually not allowed to happen?

1) Yes, two people with identical keys can currently play together.  I know, as I did this with the friend who introduced me, prior to buying my own copy.
2) Actually, yes.  If you activate with one key, there's no way to "revoke" that key and/or enter a new, different one (ditto expansions).
See, that's something that doesn't really set well with me. Typically even games very lax on DRM won't allow two people with identical keys to play together.

I didn't say it was a good/optimal solution, just that that is the way AI War is.
(Oh, and btw, Age of Empires works this way too, back when games came on CDs.  You needed the CD to start the game, but after that you could take it out and transfer it to another computer, and the two instances could mutliplayer together).

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #170 on: September 07, 2012, 01:00:11 am »
Oh, no kidding? I always thought the CD was actually read from in that case, like Starcraft.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #171 on: September 09, 2012, 01:45:45 pm »
Ah AoE.

First game my dad and I did together.

You had to register to use the internet for its games, but not LAN, so the result is we did direct IP games without one game.
Life is short. Have fun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk