Author Topic: Mono Memory Limit  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
Mono Memory Limit
« on: February 25, 2013, 07:42:59 pm »
With the impending death of XNA, I'm looking into Mono (without Unity) and I know one issue you've had is the memory limit.  However, I've been poking around and I don't actually see that limit show up anywhere on the mono site.  Is it an issue that's only relevant to Unity+Mono?  I figured I'd ask here because I'm guessing Chris or Keith knows the answer of the top of his head.  Meanwhile, MonoGame is looking promising so hopefully I can move over to that.

Offline Oralordos

• Sr. Member Mark III
  • Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
Re: Mono Memory Limit
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 07:59:35 pm »
I am no expert, but from what I remember Chris and Keith saying, they are using an older version of Unity which has an even older version of Mono in it. Said version of Mono has a crappy garbage collector and will crash at certain memory levels. The later versions have fixed this.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 08:12:59 pm »
Ahh, that could explain it.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 09:42:26 pm »
It's not inherent to mono, or to the oldness of the version of Unity.  If you can control the mono runtime's settings (specifically, it's heap size) you won't have this problem.  For that matter, you could presumably do a 64-bit build and _really_ not have a heap limit ;)

Our problem, so far as we can tell, is that the runtime used by Unity has a non-discretionary heap limit around 800MB.  I'm not certain on that, but that's the observed behavior.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 09:51:31 pm »
 Ahh, ok.  I was wondering what the issue was since I was seeing command-line options for setting the heap.  Wonder why Unity doesn't allow you to set that.  Doesn't seem like it would be too terribly difficulty.  Anyways, it looks like I can get the right settings out of Mono, and MonoGame looks very promising.  When they get the content pipeline in it will be amazing.  Time to starting messing around with it.  Thanks all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk