Author Topic: Art Walkthrough: Lighting Robots  (Read 6107 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Art Walkthrough: Lighting Robots
« on: July 29, 2013, 12:04:04 pm »
Original: http://christophermpark.blogspot.com/2013/07/art-walkthrough-lighting-robots.html

The robots and "Exos" in Bionic Dues go through a five-stage process.  First they are sketched by one of a variety of artists.  Then they are inked (have their lines cleaned up) by one of a couple of artists (typically Genna or our own Daniette "Blue" Wood).  Then they are colored by Catherine.  Then animated by me.  Then lit by Blue.

On the subject of the lighting, Blue created a pretty cool tutorial on how to do that, and we thought we'd share it with anyone else who might be interested.  Enjoy!

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 12:15:48 pm by x4000 »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Art Walkthrough: Lighting Robots
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 12:10:58 pm »
Awesome!

The triad color is a neat trick, thanks!

Offline Blue

• Arcen Games Art Director
  • Newbie Mark III
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 12:23:02 pm »
You're welcome! If you do any work using this technique please share with me!

-Blue

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 12:30:37 pm »
You're welcome! If you do any work using this technique please share with me!

Haha!  I'm not an artist, but when I have drawn things, the whole "make lights bright" deal-y has thrown me for a loop.

Offline Blue

• Arcen Games Art Director
  • Newbie Mark III
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 12:37:14 pm »
It's a fascinating thing that I learned through educating myself on art. Lighting isn't a grey scale. Lights are surprisingly made of color. A good example of how to see this would be to take a picture of something at night when lighted with an old generic light bulb, and then another one of it during the day with the light of the sun and then to compare the two photos.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 12:39:20 pm »
And shadows during the day (outside) are very blue, not black at all.  Some really cool tutorials about light theory that I read when I was doing lots of 3d modeling years ago.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 12:46:14 pm »
It's a fascinating thing that I learned through educating myself on art. Lighting isn't a grey scale. Lights are surprisingly made of color. A good example of how to see this would be to take a picture of something at night when lighted with an old generic light bulb, and then another one of it during the day with the light of the sun and then to compare the two photos.

Oh I know this.  I just wasn't able to figure out how to make things LOOK bright without making them just white.  It looked wrong, but I couldn't figure out why.

And shadows during the day (outside) are very blue, not black at all.  Some really cool tutorials about light theory that I read when I was doing lots of 3d modeling years ago.

This I knew as well.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 01:01:29 pm »
Gotcha!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk