Author Topic: Arcen Games: Music/Sound  (Read 141249 times)

Offline SalientBlue

• Newbie Mark II
Re: Arcen Games: Music/Sound
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2011, 01:05:09 am »
I love the AI War soundtrack.  Most soundtracks for space strategy games you hear are mostly along the lines of epic symphonic pieces, but AI War's is mostly subdued and melancholy.  This is really fitting, because AI War is pretty melancholy game when you get down to it.  The huge battle that warranted epic symphonies already happened, and you lost it.  Badly.  Most of the human race is dead, and the thousands of ships lost during the game just stretches it thinner and thinner.  The game has a very tired, regretful, but ultimately still hopeful feeling about it.  It's one of the things that really makes the game stand out to me, and I feel that your music captures that feeling very well.

Also, I haven't seen it given much love in this thread, but one of my favorites is Birth of the Golems.  The second half never fails to get my foot tapping, though I thought it was one of the few that didn't really benefit from the remaster.  I liked the pseudo-electric guitar melody near the end, and the switch to the organ, while not bad, doesn't really seem to fit as well with the rest of the song in my opinion.  The remaster did wonders for the others, though.  Marisa didn't really stand out to me before, but now it's up there with Midnight.

The only song I dislike is Neinzul's Title Theme.  The trumpet part is grating, and the rest of it is pretty forgettable.  It had a hard act to follow after Zenith's Title Theme, but even so, it's pretty below the bar set by the rest of your music.  Still, only one or two bad songs out of 28 is great.  Whenever Chris announces a new expansion, one of my first thoughts is always "Awesome!  More music!"

Finally, this may be a long shot, but piano has always been my favorite instrument, and the piano tracks you write are brilliant.  Do you happen to have sheet music for your songs?  I would love to be able to play your stuff, especially Midnight, Marisa, or the Zenith Title Theme.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2011, 02:56:20 am »
Oh! I used to track with Fasttracker 2 and was heavily into the tracking scene a few years back. I'm sure I'm going to love that soundtrack.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline PVega8

• Arcen Games Composer
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #152 on: January 20, 2011, 04:53:41 pm »
Again, thanks for the great compliments!

Unfortunately I don't have any of the sheet music right now, but once I get a moment free from composition, I'll look into putting it together. It shouldn't be very hard.

Thanks again and I'll keep you guys posted about the new music updates!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.  Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Entrenched Homperson

• Full Member Mark II
  • @#%$&*$#@*-&$@##
« Reply #153 on: January 20, 2011, 06:47:02 pm »
Whats the one of the ones from Fleet Command, with the chorus of voices? I like that one alot. I'd make that the game music if I could lol. It's sets a cool tone for gameplay :D
Options are deadly.... :O :O :O

Offline SalientBlue

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2011, 05:46:36 pm »
Again, thanks for the great compliments!

Unfortunately I don't have any of the sheet music right now, but once I get a moment free from composition, I'll look into putting it together. It shouldn't be very hard.

Thanks again and I'll keep you guys posted about the new music updates!

Awesome!  I can't wait!

Offline Red Spot

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #155 on: January 28, 2011, 07:13:23 pm »
First of all, incase you where not yet aware of this: Your music rocks .. well actually it doesnt ... errr .. you get my point (I hope) :D
Do you have any more of your work available online/in stores (I dont have facebook, so cant look there)? I think you also could do very well in the lounge-scene, which I really enjoy during the weekend/etc .. just a little hint. ;)

Was just going over the memberlist to see when the forum was started and came across some 'newbie', perhaps you know him?
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=2
 ;D

Offline Spikey00

• Lord of just 5 Colony Ships
  • Master Member Mark II
  • And he sayeth to sea worm, thou shalt wriggle
« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2011, 03:25:01 pm »
I'd take a sea worm any time over a hundred emotionless spinning carriers.
irc.appliedirc.com / #aiwar
AI War Facebook
AI War Steam Group

Offline Red Spot

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2011, 12:49:22 pm »
Thanks, now I just need to figure out which songs I like most ... or just puchase the full collection :D

Offline danando

• NIGHTCORE FTW
« Reply #158 on: February 21, 2011, 08:39:55 am »
ure music is awesome! for ai war ;D
[img width= height=]http://s11.postimage.org/qg9dneyrn/sig.jpg[/img]
>>one does not simply listen to nightcore and stop<<

Offline PVega8

• Arcen Games Composer
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #159 on: March 02, 2011, 02:46:44 pm »
Thank you all for the compliments again!

Haha, yes, that "newbie" is my brother Carlos Vega who did some beta play for the original AI War: Fleet Command.

I am so excited for you guys to hear the soundtrack for A Valley Without Wind. It is really coming along strong!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.  Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline PVega8

• Arcen Games Composer
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #160 on: March 08, 2011, 04:37:48 pm »
If you're interested about the process of making that classic 8-bit Nintendo sound in Logic, check out:

http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,8412.0.html

Offline tootboot

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2011, 07:46:26 pm »
I really like the music from AI War.  A couple of the compositions remind me of music from Blizzard games, which is a good thing since they tend to have striking music.

Offline PVega8

• Arcen Games Composer
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #162 on: July 14, 2011, 03:39:23 pm »
Thank you!

The "Light Of The Spire" Soundtrack is going to be on sale on iTunes in a month or two. I'm pretty excited about the music in that expansion in particular.

Offline getter77

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #163 on: August 13, 2011, 09:53:51 am »
Pretty random, but I gotta ask:

PVega, have you any notions kicking around towards your own renditions/styling/covers/etc of any Public Domain or such tracks for AVWW?   For whatever reason while watching the first pre-beta long trailer this morning, I couldn't help but think "This is good stuff.  I wonder what kind of chippy/techno take on Ravel's Bolero he could wrangle?  The tempo seems to fit the theme of the game well and it'd probably make for a good (combat) trailer contender."

In general, "classics" evolved into (post)modern would seem uncannily appropriate for the game's setting outright.

Thoughts?
The Roguelike Guy...also hopefully an overall skilled developer as time rolls on.

Offline PVega8

• Arcen Games Composer
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #164 on: August 15, 2011, 11:10:02 am »
I think the idea is awesome! That being said, I have a feeling that most of the music (at least leading up to BETA) is going to be completely original.

After we get this BETA release out, and we start working on the main release stuff, that'll definitely be something I'll consider. It's been awesome getting to work with these kinds of sounds, and re-arranging some classics in this style would be very cool. Thanks for letting me know!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk