Author Topic: Shrugger! Unity!  (Read 120400 times)

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
Re: Shrugger! Unity!
« Reply #345 on: June 24, 2016, 07:51:31 pm »
Are you experiencing problems with the redundancy (performance, code maintenance, usability, etc)? If not, leave it alone. You can always remove it later. Making progress is more important overall.

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
« Reply #346 on: February 26, 2019, 02:37:21 pm »
Hello, gents!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help, and report that I have by now a B.Sc. in Computer Science (did my thesis project in Unity) and am working as a Junior Enterprise Software Developer working with C++.
My academic career has been a series of pretty close shaves with complete failure, but I'm now on a very good trajectory. I probably would have failed for want of a nail, but you all gave me lots of nails when I started out, so what success I have now is thanks to you all in some sense.

So, several hundreds of thousands of lines of code, multiple hobby projects (nothing publishable though) and several professional projects (one in Unity, even), many books read and discussions had, multiple programming languages learned (but C# still preferred), I have today written my worst class declaration ever, and I wanted to share it with you:

Code: [Select]
public class Mesh<MeshType, VertexType, EdgeType, TriangleType> : AbstractMesh where MeshType : Mesh<MeshType, VertexType, EdgeType, TriangleType>, new() where VertexType : Vertex<MeshType, VertexType, EdgeType, TriangleType>, new() where EdgeType : Edge<MeshType, VertexType, EdgeType, TriangleType>, new() where TriangleType : Triangle<MeshType, VertexType, EdgeType, TriangleType>, new() {
So as a PSA to everyone else who wants to go into software development or hobby programming: Never be afraid to ask dumb questions of transatlantic strangers on pseudonymous internet boards, never give up on a career you chose if it lines up with your personal interests, and also never hesitate to write the stupidest-looking code you've ever seen if it gets the job done.

And sorry for the necroposting. Lock this thread if it seems appropriate.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 02:39:29 pm by Shrugging Khan »
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #347 on: February 26, 2019, 02:40:50 pm »
I just wanted to thank everyone for their help, and report that I have by now a B.Sc. in Computer Science
My condolences!

I mean, congratulations :)

It may be a necroposting, but only in the best Frankensteinian sense.

"It's alive!"
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #348 on: February 26, 2019, 04:19:15 pm »
and I wanted to share it with you:

Code: [Select]
public class Mesh<MeshType, VertexType, EdgeType, TriangleType> : AbstractMesh where MeshType : Mesh<MeshType, VertexType, EdgeType, TriangleType>, new() where VertexType : Vertex<MeshType, VertexType, EdgeType, TriangleType>, new() where EdgeType : Edge<MeshType, VertexType, EdgeType, TriangleType>, new() where TriangleType : Triangle<MeshType, VertexType, EdgeType, TriangleType>, new() {

How utterly horrific.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #349 on: February 26, 2019, 08:06:52 pm »
Congratulations from me, as well!  That's fantastic news, and I'm so glad to hear that you're already off and doing wonderfully horrible things like the rest of us. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #350 on: February 26, 2019, 11:04:59 pm »
Congratulations from me, as well!  That's fantastic news, and I'm so glad to hear that you're already off and doing wonderfully horrible things like the rest of us. ;)

Oh, some of us do really terrible things.

Like invent our own esolangs and then doing codegolf with it. Including IDE support.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 11:06:38 pm by Draco18s »

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #351 on: February 26, 2019, 11:13:51 pm »
Good grief!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk