Author Topic: Exodus Of The Machine Teaser 1  (Read 111064 times)

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
Re: Exodus Of The Machine Teaser 1
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2013, 07:54:26 pm »
No I'm glad you guys explained it to me. I'm so lost when it comes to this stuff, it's nice to know what's actually going on behind the scenes.

My dad's the computer programmer, I chose a health profession. Unfortunately that makes me pretty illiterate when it comes to most of this stuff :P
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2013, 07:57:09 pm »
My dad's an electrical engineer, and I feel the same way about his work!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2013, 09:11:21 pm »
Well, this was unexpected.  Two new boards for two games.... well, ok, considering how fast you guys develop, maybe "unexpected" is the wrong word here.   I swear, you guys must not even have an actual OFFICE, you just have this little time distortion that you sit in that allows you to churn out games at 50x the usual rate.

I'll certainly hop into the alpha/beta/whatever when it shows, as the concepts for this one sound really interesting.    As for the other game, I keep getting this idea of a turn-based game where your enemies are all evil Tetris pieces falling from the sky.

I eagerly await my AVWW2 play-as-demonica prequel

Make this.   It'd be hilarious.  Like a strategic, tactical version of Rampage.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2013, 09:31:06 pm »
Well, this was unexpected.  Two new boards for two games.... well, ok, considering how fast you guys develop, maybe "unexpected" is the wrong word here.   I swear, you guys must not even have an actual OFFICE, you just have this little time distortion that you sit in that allows you to churn out games at 50x the usual rate.

I think they must be cyborgs or something, it's like they don't realize weekends are for not work! Or that it's okay to not put in 12 hour days sometimes ;)

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2013, 09:31:28 pm »
I swear, you guys must not even have an actual OFFICE,

I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but, we actually don't. We all work virtually. :)

In fact, I've only met Chris in person a handful of times, and we don't live that far from each other.

To be frank, that's part of the reason we can get so much done... We can use that time we aren't driving to the office to work. :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 09:33:52 pm by tigersfan »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2013, 09:33:59 pm »
I swear, you guys must not even have an actual OFFICE,

I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but, we actually don't. We all work virtually. :)

In fact, I've only met Chris in person a handful of times, and we don't live that far from each other.

Yep, and Josh and I have both met Erik precisely once, and Keith never in person.  Also Zack and Blue never in person.  And Phil.  I've seen Pablo every so often over the years, but I think Josh has met him once in person.

And as for 12 hour days... yeah, that's not too uncommon.  Essentially Arcen's income could very comfortably support three people, but not so much 6+ quite yet, so we're struggling a bit as we grow to that level.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2013, 09:37:24 pm »
As for not meeting... heh, don't you all live in the same city even?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2013, 09:42:22 pm »
Not even the same state in most cases. :)  We don't have an aversion to each other!  Erik is in California, Zack and Keith in different parts of Georgia, Phil is in Montreal, Blue is in Texas, Lars is in Washington State.  Pablo and Josh both live in the Raleigh area same as me (that's North Carolina), and they are close to each other but 45 minutes away from where I live.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2013, 09:47:13 pm »
Ahh, I see! I thought you all lived in NC.

Good to still see that there's a good southern representation though ;)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2013, 09:50:15 pm »
Good to still see that there's a good southern representation though ;)
Yessir.

As for 12 hour days, that's what getting to work half days means, right?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2013, 09:56:07 pm »
Yep, in a company sense I don't think much about the fact that most of us are southern, and in fact it wasn't something I set about to do when hiring (I hired people based on merit and compatibility with company philosphy, generally before I knew where they lived at all).  So it's just kind of funny how that worked out!  But some of the folks have lived in 3+ states, like Zack and Blue.  And Josh is really more of a northerner.  Zack's a southerner by origin despite the fact that he wandered, and I think that Erik and Blue are both more midwesterners despite the fact that he's currently in CA and she's in TX. 

For me, I've never lived anywhere but NC, and never intend to.  But I love to travel. :)

I guess we're an interesting example of the progressive south, in the end, eh?  Knowing our company some folks might find it strange that we're so southerner-heavy, but as a southerner I don't find that odd at all.  :D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 09:58:22 pm by x4000 »

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2013, 10:20:42 pm »
Hey, I'm a southerner (currently transplanted in the north), I don't find it weird!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2013, 10:38:16 pm »

To be frank, that's part of the reason we can get so much done... We can use that time we aren't driving to the office to work. :)

Considering the traffic (and idiot drivers) in many areas..... yeah, makes sense to me.    Probably alot less frustration too.... none of the "scream swearwords at other drivers" bit that is so traditional these days.

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2013, 10:45:12 pm »
So how do you guys communicate? Skype, E-mail? The organization as a whole seems very efficient for people who work from such vastly different locations.
I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2013, 10:52:50 pm »
Email mainly.  Skype sometimes.  Though I think it varies depending on who you're talking about.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk