Author Topic: Wiki helpers?  (Read 4091 times)

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
Wiki helpers?
« on: October 11, 2013, 01:47:21 pm »
Anyone want to have a go at contributing to the wiki?

I just ported a skeleton of the RefNav section from AIWar, just like what was done for Skyward by somebody. If people have worked out which terminals do what (if it is indeed the same across different games, I hope not) - what would be a valuable start. A FAQ would also be nice, judging from the questions in this forum.

Offline Histidine

Re: Wiki helpers?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 02:09:47 pm »
I was going to add and use an infobox for the exos, but I was stymied by the fact that the wiki doesn't seem to have the ParserFunctions extension installed. Any way we could get it?

Offline Winge

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 02:09:56 pm »
Terminal effects are randomized between terminal colors for any given game.  However, the same ones appear depending on difficulty.
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 02:16:23 pm »
I was going to add and use an infobox for the exos, but I was stymied by the fact that the wiki doesn't seem to have the ParserFunctions extension installed. Any way we could get it?

I went and PM'd Josh (CC'd Chris) about it just now. We would have benefitted a lot from info-boxes in AI War... somewhere to put my radar charts, for example.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 05:12:21 pm »
Unfortunately, we use an older version of MediaWiki (1.15) and it doesn't support this.  Upgrading has seemed to be a challenge from what I saw last I looked.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Diazo

• Master Member Mark II
  • I love/hate Diff 10
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 06:49:03 pm »
I did look into the upgrade path for my work on the AI War wiki part of things and it would be rather complex at this point.

Certainly doable, but it would require developer time to do so, the player base really can't do it like they can editing the wiki.

And dev time is always limited so it's not something I've been pushing for.

Also on the wiki itself, I will have to limit myself to the AI War wiki only, I don't have enough time to get involved it the Bionic Dues wiki at this point.

D.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 09:13:16 pm »
I have *alot* of free time on my hands, so yeah, I'm up for doing this.  I was wondering when this was going to get going after Tigersfan had mentioned it.

I did alot of the writing for the Valley 1 wiki, so I'm familiar with how this works, mostly.   I aint so knowledgeable though about the more code-like bits though;  when I worked on that wiki, the actual framework was already there, I just needed to deal with the actual text.  I can probably figure it out well enough though.

I'm thinking this particular wiki section for BD specifically should go into alot more detail than that one did though.  Full enemy listings complete with descriptions of what they do and tips for each one, explanations of each individual weapon.... stuff like that.  Preferrably with small images of the thing that's being explained.   AKA, things I generally expect from any wiki that deals with roguelikes and similar games. They're exactly the sorts of games that demand that level of detail.

Offline Velorien

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 11:11:25 am »
I'd like to be able to chip in. I have a good eye for typos and the like. How does one make an account on the wiki? It says new accounts are limited to administrators.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 01:43:58 pm »
Just pm tigersfan and he'll set you up! We do it that way because spambots.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Histidine

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 02:25:40 pm »
OH YEAH! That went a bit faster than I expected.

Might add tactical hints and tips to each of the exo pages later.

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 07:23:57 am »
Unfortunately, we use an older version of MediaWiki (1.15) and it doesn't support this.  Upgrading has seemed to be a challenge from what I saw last I looked.
An option that comes to mind is installing a new version instead of upgrading the old one. You can keep the previous titles on the old one and everythin from BD on will go to the new one.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 10:49:00 am »
Yay, stuff is starting to get going here!

I think I'll start on the items section myself, a bit later tonight.  Shouldnt take long.

Offline Winge

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 07:42:40 pm »
Is there a good source for wiki 'how to'?  I've started to add information, but it looks horrible right now.  :-[

Offline Histidine

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 02:57:44 am »
Is there a good source for wiki 'how to'?  I've started to add information, but it looks horrible right now.  :-[
I just Google "mediawiki" or "css" (when working on tables) and whatever I'm trying to do. The W3Schools CSS page is a good reference for the latter.

In your case, I've fixed up the numbered lists on the BD Pilots page :)

Offline Winge

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 09:10:36 pm »
I just Google "mediawiki" or "css" (when working on tables) and whatever I'm trying to do. The W3Schools CSS page is a good reference for the latter.

In your case, I've fixed up the numbered lists on the BD Pilots page :)

Many thanks.  I'll probably do some more work, now that I have a resource to use.  Well, when I get time again  :-\

Edit:  or I'll end up doing laundry really late in the night, leaving plenty of time to practice my HTML, which I have only looked at briefly.  Work might not go so well tomorrow...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 11:40:06 pm by Winge »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk