Author Topic: Virus-ing bots discussion.  (Read 2242 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Virus-ing bots discussion.
« on: September 12, 2013, 12:31:30 pm »
Also, I virused that DoomBot and watched in awe as it rampaged across the map ROFLStomping everything in its path!  It currently has 4950x Attack Power!  :o

EMPBots I've not addressed yet, nor sentry turrets, as those are kind of crazy.  I think perhaps DoomBots need immunity to virus, what do you think?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 03:48:23 pm by x4000 »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
Re: Virus-ing bots discussion.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 12:58:31 pm »
Immunity to reclamation makes reclamation sad :(

You could just make it cost a ton more virus points for those things where it's imbalanced to let them be virus'd at the current cost level.

Of course, there is the MurderBot...
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 01:18:59 pm »
Right, very true.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 01:27:29 pm »
You could simply cap their damage multiplier... it's in unreasonable land anyway. Sometimes they will charge up to insane amounts in what looks like an instant sometimes they do forget to charge up actually....

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 02:32:23 pm »
No! Don't take away my DoomBots!  Virusing them is the only reliable way I have of dealing with them right now.  Besides, virused enemies seem to always just stop moving eventually after a few minutes, even when they still have ammo.

Capping the damage multiplier sounds reasonable, though.

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 02:39:25 pm »
I'd rather see it cost more to virus them given their power, but not block it. They're a much more valuable virus target than say a TigerBot.

Plus it's pretty awesome when you nab one and they go on a rampage.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 08:14:33 pm »
The problem I see with this is simple:

If you take away the virus ability to work on some of the powerful bots like that one, nobody will use it.

Though I'm not so sure about DoomBots in particular;  never actually virused one, I just shoot them.  Their ability sounds unpleasant but I've not really seen it activate much.   Why not just put a cap on it?  Having it go too far is kinda pointless anyway.  On higher difficulties the player cant have all that much health to begin with, and on lower ones you dont want it doing like 3000 damage and killing those players instantly, because it's supposed to be easy mode.

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 08:16:39 pm »
Virusing a doombot is pretty funny, they run around smashing every other bot in sight. Then they run out of targets and either go find more, or attack cover. Their attack stat gets goofy, but a single EMPBot still stops them cold.

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 09:42:31 pm »
If virus costs start varying per Bot, it would be nice if the Bot tooltip specified how many points it takes.  In fact, that would be good information to have in any event.

What is a virus point anyway?

Offline Winge

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 12:49:47 am »
If virus costs start varying per Bot, it would be nice if the Bot tooltip specified how many points it takes.  In fact, that would be good information to have in any event.

What is a virus point anyway?

It takes 1 virus point per bot level in order to convert a bot, I think.
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 03:38:31 am »
I am all for not removing the possibility to virus a DoomBot as well (given the robot army I rolled in my current game ;)).
If need be simply up the  cost!
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk