Author Topic: The Misery Challenge  (Read 25967 times)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: The Misery Challenge
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2014, 08:08:54 pm »
I have a mic but I refuse to use it while recording because I would be too quiet otherwise.  The average person has an attention span of 5 seconds, so it's crucial that I hold their attention.

Yeah, that one I can understand.  I'm sitting at negative 5 seconds of attention span here myself, so.... yeah, I've left plenty of videos early, hah.

I was thinking somewhere along the same lines, only far less extreme.

I actually thought I *was* thinking far less extreme than usual. 

Apparently some people crack under pressure.  I don't quite get that.  After all, when things get tough the only thing to do is rise to the challenge.

See, now, I wish more people thought this way.  Way too many wont even just crack, they'll just outright avoid any game or whatever that promises to have even a vague chance of causing that pressure.  More people need to actually ATTEMPT things, really.   Granted my own sense of difficulty is a little warped (mostly fond of bullet-hell shmups and roguelikes, both of which I often still classify as "could be harder"), but still.  Even things are are seriously not that dang hard once you at least give it a whirl, most people still just wont even try.   Ugh.   Always has bothered me, always will. 

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2014, 08:08:29 am »
See, now, I wish more people thought this way.  Way too many wont even just crack, they'll just outright avoid any game or whatever that promises to have even a vague chance of causing that pressure.  More people need to actually ATTEMPT things, really.   Granted my own sense of difficulty is a little warped (mostly fond of bullet-hell shmups and roguelikes, both of which I often still classify as "could be harder"), but still.  Even things are are seriously not that dang hard once you at least give it a whirl, most people still just wont even try.   Ugh.   Always has bothered me, always will.

Difficulty = (likelihood of failure x penalty for failure) + intimidation + irritation + traumitaztion

Where does AI War fit on this?

Likelyhood of Failure = highly variable, usually high, can go up to completely impossible

Penalty for Failure = typical save/load game at any point with save abuse possible, good chance of making the game (almost!) unwinnable

intimidation = Very High, the second most intimidating game I've ever seen.

irritation = variable, usually low

traumization = low.  AI taunts and Cross-Planet Attacks might scare you the first time, but other then that it's a rather chill game.

Assuming a typical game?

(High Difficulty x (average failure penalty + making the game unwinnable) Above-Average failure penalty) + Very High intimidation + low irritation + low traumization = Quite High

ofcourse the !!fun!! can always be increased :P

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 01:08:27 pm »
Just watched Episode 3... man, my condolences ;)  Though you did actually survive.  But future missions... um, yea, ow.  Congratulations on getting that far.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2014, 09:42:59 am »
Closing thoughts:

BomBots.  Need I say more?
Rey does indeed have the cheesiest ability
Pistol OP nerf plz
Assault Exo is still blargh.  Although I'd probably have a better idea of how to balance it if I haven't lost it so soon...
BomBots
There was no way I was going to actually afford to buy anything from Ye Olde RPG Shoppe
Perhaps there should be an achievement for clearing the first level on Misery?  While Misery is indeed too cruel to have normal achivements, completing the first level is very doable.
This game has some varied and very interesting enemies...
And last but not least, BomBots.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk