Author Topic: Sneak Peek At Bionic Dues  (Read 29603 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Sneak Peek At Bionic Dues
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 10:00:44 pm »
Here's a fun sneak peek at the animated Assault Exo (not yet lit).

Why are there moving hull parts? They really off-put me, because I don't understand why they'd move and make said hull weaker.

Real reason?  Because they look awesome, and still is boring visually. 

If you want a fake in-game-world reason I'm sure I can make one up, too.  But suffice it to say there are a lot of constituent parts on these, and armor is not their best thing.  This could be part of the propulsion system, part of the computer system sensors, part of the reactor venting system, even.  It could even be decreed that it is some sort of thing that messes with the computer vision algorithms of the robots.  I don't think what is going on there is outside the realm of sci-fi plausibility, and it really does look vastly better.

Gameplay-wise, it also serves a purpose: alerted robots are animated and alive-looking, whereas non-alerted robots collapse down into a less saturated, non-animated shell.  So we don't have to do something like put a cheesy "ALERT!" or "!" or whatever over top of them.  Very efficient.

Anyhow, I'm super proud of it.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2013, 10:46:46 pm »
I like the animation.  It makes the exo a lot more interesting visually, and also gives the impression that the machine is breathing and therefore alive.

Are these things alive? Or piloted remotely/locally by some direct neural interface (a la Avatar or Evangelion)?  Or is there a dude manipulating plain old levers and switches inside?

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2013, 02:14:19 am »
I was just thinking, yeah, it doesn't make sense because it looks like the robot is breathing. Then you brought up the idea of a ventilation system. See where I'm going with this? The "breathing" is the robotic suit's ventilation system, and it may have been designed that way for the sake of familiarity with human bodies.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2013, 07:11:27 am »
Good idea with these being a bit alive -- that's pretty cool actually. These are remotely piloted, but if there is a bit of the pilot inside the exo that would go along with why they are so hard to unpair.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2013, 10:16:33 am »
For some reason the animation makes me think he wants or is trying to hug. But poor robot, we all know robots can't hug.

Offline Aquohn

• Full Member Mark III
  • WARNING: May Contain Objectionable Opinions
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2013, 10:18:22 am »
Good idea with these being a bit alive -- that's pretty cool actually. These are remotely piloted, but if there is a bit of the pilot inside the exo that would go along with why they are so hard to unpair.

A bit of the pilot inside it? Like what, the appendix? :P
Arcen in Summary:
thank you so much, RNG
It aims to please!

Or is that "to kill"?  Hmm.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2013, 10:48:35 am »
A fleshy hippocampus-like organ grown in a petri dish from the pilot's DNA, perhaps? :)

Of course, another reason for the hull movement could actually be related to the venting required for propulsion, I realized today.

Offline Aquohn

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 11:02:50 am »
Yeah, LaughingThesaurus floated that particular idea earlier (the ventilation one, not the hippocampus).

In which case you might want to add some steam VFX.
Arcen in Summary:
thank you so much, RNG
It aims to please!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2013, 11:05:02 am »
There actually is a certain amount of sparks and so forth coming out from under them, and they let off a smoke trail when they move.  But I'll look at potentially doing some steam too when I get around to adding more flourishes with them.  Because of the nature of this game, we're really able to pull out all the stops with things like details on the bots and particle effects related to them, etc.  To the best of our abilities, anyhow.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2013, 11:36:19 am »
By the way. The animation speed on it seems really fast to me. Like distractingly fast, maybe it's just me but it might do better as slower, exaggerated movements.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2013, 11:38:44 am »
That's an artifact of it just being a quick gif.  The animation speed in the game is set a completely different way, from a png sprite dictionary.  It was either this fast as a gif, or annoyingly slow.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2013, 11:41:25 am »
Oh okay, wasn't sure but figured it would be better to say something now than nothing at all!

PS: steam would be cool too as others mentioned.

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2013, 12:01:01 am »
There's a PnP RPG I used to play (might have been G.U.R.P.S.) that had example cyborgs that were only a human brain and nervous system in an otherwise completely mechanical body.  I always thought it was a cool notion that stuck with me even after having forgotten the specific source material.  Something like that could work.

Offline Aquohn

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2013, 08:27:01 am »
There's a PnP RPG I used to play (might have been G.U.R.P.S.) that had example cyborgs that were only a human brain and nervous system in an otherwise completely mechanical body.  I always thought it was a cool notion that stuck with me even after having forgotten the specific source material.  Something like that could work.

Er, lore-wise, that would entail permadeath. And would kinda not gel with the story much.
Arcen in Summary:
thank you so much, RNG
It aims to please!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2013, 10:16:47 am »

Er, lore-wise, that would entail permadeath. And would kinda not gel with the story much.
To protect you from the robots, we'll make you mostly into a robot!

... actually I'm pretty sure that's been done somewhere.  Either way, I don't think it's what Chris had in mind :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk