Author Topic: Reworking Regen to be more intuitive  (Read 18367 times)

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
Re: Reworking Regen to be more intuitive
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2013, 11:35:15 am »
Yeah, exactly. That's why I went with something simpler, like X armor blocks X damage, but can only block at most half of an attack's damage. It's simpler, but lets you ramp up the damage reduction numbers such that they might actually work against big guns without giving you total immunity against small guns.

Flat percentages on items aren't great either because you either get big numbers early and they never go up, or you have to give small numbers early and nobody wants 2% armor when they're being shot for 20 damage.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2013, 12:44:51 pm »
FYI, these just in for 0.922:

* Based on player feedback for the new Regen model, the regen stat's value range has gone from 5 to 110 => 15 to 330.

* Since the usefulness of the damage reduction stat is hit particularly hard by the increases on Hard and Expert, it now gets 2x and 3x the values on those difficulty levels, respectively.

Neither applies to parts already generated in earlier versions, of course.

This save gets right to what I think looks weird. Wait a turn and the health bar seems to jump up (then the white disappears the turn after).
Ok, I've changed it to work right in that case, at least.  Also the same save after shooting myself with a grenade.  For science!

Oh, on another note, overload can regen, not sure whether that's intended or not.
Intentional?  Yes.  Wise?  I dunno ;)  But I don't want to shut down stat synergies due to mere suspicion of imbalance.  I figured y'all would let me know if some combo was so insanely useful that it was actually making the game less fun :)

Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2013, 01:16:46 pm »
Intentional?  Yes.  Wise?  I dunno ;)  But I don't want to shut down stat synergies due to mere suspicion of imbalance.  I figured y'all would let me know if some combo was so insanely useful that it was actually making the game less fun :)

Yeah, I've actually been using this synergy -- just not sure whether I'm cheating yet or not. Fun, though!

Offline Winge

« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2013, 05:20:17 pm »
It can be useful if you are out of sight of your target.  If you aren't, well...expect to go down fast  ;)

I haven't really used Overload much since I started using a Brawler instead of an Assault bot as my tank.  I figured I'd rather tank things by shooting them with tank shells than by surviving while shooting them with a machine gun...
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2013, 06:49:13 pm »
I think that regen would make most people feel like every step you take regenerates some health. What you are talking about sounds like a forcefield.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk