Author Topic: Regarding "It's Dangerous To Walk Alone"...  (Read 2295 times)

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
Regarding "It's Dangerous To Walk Alone"...
« on: July 23, 2014, 05:48:45 am »
Just a thought I had last evening:

What do you guys (especially you Keith ;)) think about scaling the starting stats of the remaining Exos somewhat for each removed Exo?

The thought behind this is that using fewer Exos is able to provide three different kinds of challenge (at least in my book):
  • Less flexibility (in terms of weapons/abilities) to successfully finish a mission
  • Less health to successfully finish a mission
  • Less ammo to successfully finish a mission

The first two are totally okay in my book and would be equal to the kind of challenge I would enjoy by selecting fewer Exos.
The third one I expect to be no fun for me - at all - especially on higher difficulties (and Expert+ seems to be the common denominator on how this game is supposed to be played - at least if you are using conducts ;)).

My proposal is this:
How about scaling base stealth and ammo for each remaining Exo based on how many Exos have been removed like this:
1 removed: + 25%
2 removed: + 50%
3 removed: + 75%

Please note that I deliberately omitted to scale the base shields here - that's where the challenge is supposed to be after all ;).

Thoughts?
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Regarding "It's Dangerous To Walk Alone"...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 02:08:40 pm »
I hear you on the ammo.  I'd like to get the enemy-bot-health balance stuff sorted out before adding a special rule here, however.

On stealth I'm not sure.

Maybe we can have it seed more of those re-arming tiles for less-than-four-exo games, if it comes to that.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
Re: Regarding "It's Dangerous To Walk Alone"...
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 02:46:24 pm »
I hear you on the ammo.
I'd like to get the enemy-bot-health balance stuff sorted out before adding a special rule here, however.
Good :).

On stealth I'm not sure.
The thought behind bumping stealth was that I would like the total number of stealth actions available to the player stay constant if removing Exos, as I see those as a resource that is necessary to a certain amount to solve missions (much like ammo).

Maybe distributing the stealth points of the removed Exos to all remaining ones would be a compromise
This was what I tried to achieve with my "math" above, but I might not have succeeded in that regard ;).

TL;DR: It was by no means my intention to buff stealth for the remaining Exos, only to have the number of available stealth actions stay roughly the same.

Maybe we can have it seed more of those re-arming tiles for less-than-four-exo games, if it comes to that.
That might be another workable compromise, yes.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 02:52:48 pm by nas1m »
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk