Author Topic: Initial Thoughts Phase 3  (Read 2369 times)

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
Initial Thoughts Phase 3
« on: September 22, 2013, 03:06:13 am »
Ok, I've logged about 18 hours Steam says, i didn't realize it was that many. Here's some thoughts not necessarily in order...

Casual and Easy seem about right for my level, i could play and still make mistakes and still survive a mission.  :)

I tried a normal and a hard game for the first missions and i made it through, so maybe the ramp up from beginning missions is pretty much the same across all the difficulties? I am guessing.

I tried one game on Expert, and got kicked pretty good, the bots were ganging up on me and i didn't have the overboard, or overturned or whatever it is and the EMP bots were knocking out my weapons and i couldn't do anything, not even run. So i lost that one big time. Maybe i got a bit too swaggery and didn't play it slow and thoughtful enough. Wouldn't be the first time for me, i like strategy games, but i play like a casual player, so i usually lose a lot in games like that, but even so, i still enjoy the games and figuring things out.  :)

The only thing i think BD could use more of would be things that take the replayability higher.

Thank you for listening, Take care,

-Teal

Offline Hyfrydle

Re: Initial Thoughts Phase 3
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 04:59:14 am »
I have only played normal so far and feel the difficulty could be ramped up a little bit the first 5 missions can be completed with very little if any risk. Haven't tried easy or casual but they must be super easy if normal is anything to go by. An increase in the bot's range early on would add some more risk and strategy.

Also perhaps there should be a chance that locked doors sometimes open into new areas not just loot so that a locked door doesn't automatically mean easy loot or perks.

I have 39 days left in my current game and hope to complete this game then move to hard and see how that feels.

Really enjoying the game I think you guys have a real gem on your hands.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 09:41:10 am »
Also perhaps there should be a chance that locked doors sometimes open into new areas not just loot so that a locked door doesn't automatically mean easy loot or perks.

How about a Bionic Dues version of this ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLhm-Ehj82c

Too much?

When I first came across one of these in Dredmor it was definitely an eyebrow raiser.

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 03:46:41 pm »

Too much?

When I first came across one of these in Dredmor it was definitely an eyebrow raiser.

I'm not quite sure i understand what you mean? A boss battle? I haven't gotten to a Bionic Dues end game yet, so that is unknown to me,  :)   But what you showed on Dredmor did look pretty intensive!  :)

-Teal

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 04:27:27 pm »

I'm not quite sure i understand what you mean? A boss battle? I haven't gotten to a Bionic Dues end game yet, so that is unknown to me,  :)   But what you showed on Dredmor did look pretty intensive!  :)

-Teal

Not quite a boss battle, but occasional rooms behind locked doors with a large quantity of varied enemies. Something like that.   :D

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 08:46:22 pm »

Too much?

YES.  This.   Let's do this.   It'd be hilarious.

To explain to those that havent seen it:  Not so much a boss battle, Monster Zoos are special (often large) rooms where damn near EVERY SINGLE TILE has a monster on it.  There's one on every floor, except the very first, and they are DANGEROUS.   ....particularly since, when you open the door that leads to it, you're standing RIGHT NEXT to a whole pile of them.  Not only are there normal monsters in there.... often 100+ of them, but there's boss monsters mixed in as well (in that game, they're souped up versions of normal monsters, they can appear randomly anywhere but are more rare).  Monster Zoos can be very difficult to clear and require that you use your skills and your inventory as best you can.   Defeating one though is VERY satisfying, and if you know what you're doing you can indeed completely clear out every single one on a given run.

Easily one of my favorite parts of the game.  And I love the music that plays there. 

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 05:12:27 am »

Too much?

YES.  This.   Let's do this.   It'd be hilarious.

To explain to those that havent seen it:  Not so much a boss battle, Monster Zoos are special (often large) rooms where damn near EVERY SINGLE TILE has a monster on it.  There's one on every floor, except the very first, and they are DANGEROUS.   ....particularly since, when you open the door that leads to it, you're standing RIGHT NEXT to a whole pile of them.  Not only are there normal monsters in there.... often 100+ of them, but there's boss monsters mixed in as well (in that game, they're souped up versions of normal monsters, they can appear randomly anywhere but are more rare).  Monster Zoos can be very difficult to clear and require that you use your skills and your inventory as best you can.   Defeating one though is VERY satisfying, and if you know what you're doing you can indeed completely clear out every single one on a given run.

Easily one of my favorite parts of the game.  And I love the music that plays there.
+1
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline Billick

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 09:39:28 am »
Robot zoo!

Offline Winge

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 10:11:30 pm »
Robot zoo!

"How many Plasma Cannon shots do I have?"

"One, sir."

"We're going to need about 10 more..."