Author Topic: End of Line: Better Exo Death  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
End of Line: Better Exo Death
« on: August 19, 2014, 12:15:42 pm »
So I'm trying to brainstorm ideas for how to make Exo deaths more clear when they happen. And aside from the wanting to hear this when I lose an Exo, I'm not sure exactly what else is needed. But my first pass is for each of the following to happen on Exo death:

1) Specific distinct explosion (larger than 1 square, and a different color than other explosion...maybe all white) over the exo. This should play after all other combat animations that turn so it doesn't get covered up. Optionally, just a full-screen white-shift for a moment.

2) Screen shake. It's cheesy, but it works.

3) Distinct audio que. It could be dialog, "Dang it, that's one Exo down. We'll recover it and get it patched after the mission. You gotta keep going." But that would get old quickly. Maybe for your first Exo death? Of course, I'm partial to a computerized EOL. But since the enemy bots talk in computerized voices, it might be confusing to players and not obvious that it came from your Bot. Maybe just a little musical sound effect.

Honestly, stuff like this could already be happening, but it is not obvious at all to me, and I've died quite a few times. I'm trying to come up with something that hits a new player distinctly the very first time they die.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: End of Line: Better Exo Death
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 12:24:30 pm »
Audio AI taunts on exo death would be awesome, but that's something for later on.  For now we could do the white-out or the screen-shake.  A larger/special explosion would also be possible, but it might be tricky for me to get it not looking awful and I'm not sure it'd be distinct enough from the other explosions going on (particularly when there's high-end plasma weaponry in play).
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 02:40:31 am »
You could always hit them with the InceptionBRRRRRNNNNNDDD  noise.
I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

Offline doctorfrog

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 03:04:44 pm »
This has been an issue for me also, for the same reason that an Exo dying often happens right in line with a bunch of other stuff happening. I don't really want my screen flashing or shaking, though. A floating message near the tile that the exo is on, that takes a while to fade, would be better. "Sniper Exo warped out!" with a simple, unique audio cue.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk