Author Topic: Couple of questions  (Read 4610 times)

Offline blastpop

Couple of questions
« on: October 09, 2013, 09:37:43 pm »
I picked it up yesterday and have played for a little while. First mission I won. Since then I'm running into enemy Bombots- kill them they seem to explode all over the place. I'm not sure if the combat results are flashing by so fast.... The result is out of the blue I'm dead...There are way too many of the Bombots. Can't seem to make any headway...

The other thing that is bothersome is I can't always see what the effect is of hacking into a panel.

Any suggested settings so I can at least see what is going on?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 09:57:50 pm by blastpop »

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
Re: Couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 10:00:45 pm »
Can you try and kill them from some distance?

Offline blastpop

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 10:34:28 pm »
Maybe I just got a bad "seed number" There are lots of em-  My 4th battle there was something like 10 of them showing up at the same time.  With them and EMPbots  I'm dying left and right. Not my idea of fun... I explore gingerly and try to get advantageous shots.

For the standard level this game is turning out to be very punishing right out of the gate. I understand the challenge ,but my first campaign was ridiculous. 1 win and 5 straight losses for a HQ overrun. I did use the suggested setup of bots. Time for me to get under the hood and tinker with my settings and choices.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 11:33:35 pm »
If you see a horde of BombBots, can you turn on stealth, retreat to a safe range, and pick one of them off?  The hope being to chain-detonate them, etc :)

With the default team, the siege bot's rocket launcher is excellent for "I need it dead now" duty.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 02:36:54 am »
Maybe I just got a bad "seed number" There are lots of em-  My 4th battle there was something like 10 of them showing up at the same time.  With them and EMPbots  I'm dying left and right. Not my idea of fun... I explore gingerly and try to get advantageous shots.

For the standard level this game is turning out to be very punishing right out of the gate. I understand the challenge ,but my first campaign was ridiculous. 1 win and 5 straight losses for a HQ overrun. I did use the suggested setup of bots. Time for me to get under the hood and tinker with my settings and choices.

A tip for EMPbots:  No matter how close they get, DONT shoot them until the battle with nearby bots is over.  Just let them be.  They'll walk up to you.... and just sit there.  The EMP blast is literally the only thing they can do, and they cant do it until you pop them.

As for BombBots, a sniper exo is good at popping them.  If you dont have a sniper, use a weapon like a Laser Rifle, give it alot of extra range and attack, and it'll make it much easier to pop the bomb guys.

You could also try using sentries to get the bombs exploded safely;  drop them somewhere, get well behind them, and then use a whistle to call some of the bombbots over. The sentries will pop them (and probably be destroyed in the process), but if you're far enough back from the sentry line YOU will be safe.  On the other hand.... nearby bots WONT be safe :D

Offline blastpop

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 06:54:14 am »
Thanks for the tips. Bombots and congested/constricted terrain with EMPbots are not a good combination for attackers... :)

Thanks for the useful tips.  Hopefully the next campaign I start on Friday will be better.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:46:01 am by blastpop »

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 07:31:07 am »
If you have an exo with a lot of +sight, you can see the Bombbots from farther away. If you see a lot of them clustered together, whip out the rocket launcher.

Nothing in the room will survive. :D

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 07:38:20 am »
Don't know just how good an idea this is, but I've virused any encroaching Bombbots in the past. They won't explode unless you shoot them.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 07:54:06 am »
Dont the other bots then shoot them though?

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 08:00:28 am »
Dont the other bots then shoot them though?

Actually, yeah, you'd think they would. Now I recall, my virused bombots just seemed to get in wrestling matches with other bots. Maybe I got lucky and they just got tied up with EMPbots. Might still be a viable strategy, though -- just be careful.

Offline blastpop

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 08:47:15 am »
Does the odds of using Virus improve? I've tried several times with no luck. Could be my bad luck, but the chance seems really low.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 08:52:34 am »
It's not supposed to work like that at all.

Every bot has a "virus cost".   If you have enough virus points to cover the cost, and are adjacent to them and facing them, it should always work.

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 12:02:56 pm »
This looks like a good place to drop my general 'wtf' questions. I just had a bot die to 2000 damage from... something. The log was blank, literally just "  attacked Assault Exo for 2000 damage , destroying it" The things nearby were a couple of ThunderBots. Does their cover-destroying ability do 2000 damage? And not get attributed to them in the log for some reason? I think there may have been one in an un-alerted state behind a nearby false wall that it then blew up to get at me... although I'm not sure how I woke it up in the first place, but I'm still puzzling out all the behavior of what gets their attention. I'd just like to get the license plate number on the truck that hit me, so maybe I'll know not to dance in that lane of traffic next time.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 12:19:25 pm »
This looks like a good place to drop my general 'wtf' questions. I just had a bot die to 2000 damage from... something. The log was blank, literally just "  attacked Assault Exo for 2000 damage , destroying it" The things nearby were a couple of ThunderBots. Does their cover-destroying ability do 2000 damage? And not get attributed to them in the log for some reason?
Yea, I think I've seen that too.  The 2000 damage is from the cover explosion, and the code doesn't know to try to attribute a tile with credit for killing you.

Basically it said "You got killed by cover?  Really?  I'm not even putting that in the log."

(but yes, it was the ThunderBot, indirectly :) )
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 12:48:05 pm »
Basically it said "You got killed by cover?  Really?  I'm not even putting that in the log."

Yeah, that's exactly what the log should have in it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk