Author Topic: Bionic Dues: First 10 Screenshots!  (Read 18403 times)

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
Re: Bionic Dues: First 10 Screenshots!
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2013, 01:05:39 am »
I like the lighter one.  Just my personal preference.

Me too, in the end.  I am going to make it not crowd in so much from the sides, though, as that gets overwhelming.  Then I think it's about perfect.  Attached that.
I was going to say I preferred the darker one as a stand-alone, but could see that the lighter one would likely integrate better with the rest of the UI. The screenshot you posted last is a perfect combination of the two, though :D!
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2013, 06:12:55 am »
Great!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2013, 04:39:46 pm »
Seems very forgiving if it lets you repair your headquarters. I'm not sure that's a bad thing, just a comment.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2013, 04:46:52 pm »
Seems very forgiving if it lets you repair your headquarters. I'm not sure that's a bad thing, just a comment.

It's forgiving in some senses, but not in others I guess.  It depends on what you're comparing it to: to a strategy game, this is fairly brutal.  To a roguelike, yeah, it's totally forgiving. :)

To clarify a bit on how this works:

1. Your HQ has some low amount of health, varying by difficulty level.  I think on normal it's 5, IIRC.

2. Every time you fail a mission, HQ health goes down by 1.  If it hits 0, you lose.

3. There are 8 salvage missions spread across the map.  You can repair 1 HP on your HQ by winning one of these.  These are a huge opportunity cost not just because you lose one of these finite repair spots, but also because your number of days is limited and thus doing something useless on one day is really bad: the robots start getting ahead of you.  It's like taking a planet and incurring AIP for no real benefit.

4. At the end of the game, the robot waves start crashing over your HQ and you have to do defense missions.  You are unlikely to win the first time, most likely (it varies by how you focused your efforts during the game, really).  The army is too big for you to take out all at once, probably, so you'll put a big dent in it and then lose.  Your HQ's HP then goes down by one, and you then get another crack at the remaining part of the army.

5. #4 repeats until your HQ is at zero or you win.  At this point you can do no missions other than the HQ defense, so forget about salvage missions.  If your HP was too low when you reached this point, that's just it for you if you don't win these key missions.  But if you spend time doing a lot of salvage missions earlier in the game, these final missions wind up being harder compared to your exo quality than they otherwise would be.

So there's a few different subsystems in play, really, if that makes sense.  It's pretty different.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2013, 06:20:46 pm »
Fascinating. Sounds like Faster Than Light in the sense of being unprepared for the end boss. Or I guess any rogue-like.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2013, 06:22:04 pm »
Cheers!  Glad it's sounding good. :)

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2013, 10:01:04 pm »
These two are real screenshots, not mockups.  Which do people prefer?  Darker or lighter?

If you're still looking for feedback on this, the lighter one for sure. The darker one is sufficiently dark that the outside areas have a LOT of black in them, and some of the detail is missing.

Just how dark that really is depends on things like your monitor and it's configuration of course, but in my case it's too dark.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2013, 10:19:31 pm »
Yep, the third one is the lighter one, and that's what I did wind up going with.  Thanks!

Offline Winge

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2013, 05:24:01 pm »
The visuals on that screen are considered to be pretty close to final, the small text aside.  It's channeling historic games like Final Fantasy, not games like XCOM (the former of which I have a lot of fondness for, the latter of which I've never played so can't speak to).

I find this interesting, as it looks like it the gameplay would be a mix between FTL and X-Com: Enemy Unknown (not a bad thing at all, mind you!).  I'm definitely interested.
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2013, 09:11:34 pm »
The visuals on that screen are considered to be pretty close to final, the small text aside.  It's channeling historic games like Final Fantasy, not games like XCOM (the former of which I have a lot of fondness for, the latter of which I've never played so can't speak to).

I find this interesting, as it looks like it the gameplay would be a mix between FTL and X-Com: Enemy Unknown (not a bad thing at all, mind you!).  I'm definitely interested.

That's not quite right... The in-mission gameplay is much more like a traditional rougelike, but with out so much melee combat.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2013, 09:21:43 pm »
but without so much melee combat.

Aka, with none. ;)

Offline Breach

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2013, 09:40:50 am »
From a purely fluff standpoint, might something more technological be more suitable for the 'whistle' ability? Something like 'ping' akin to modern day ping commands which would send out a signal intentionally alerting other robots in the area to its location.

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2013, 10:17:16 am »
I assume it is actually W.H.I.S.T.L.E. also know as Wind Handling and Internal Sound Tactical Location Electronics

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2013, 10:20:41 am »
I assume it is actually W.H.I.S.T.L.E. also know as Wind Handling and Internal Sound Tactical Location Electronics
This one really made me laugh quite loud. Thanks, sir *tips the hat and wipes a tear* ;).
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline Breach

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2013, 11:12:10 am »

Ohh, yes. That's delightful!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk