Author Topic: Bionic Dues: First 10 Screenshots!  (Read 18407 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Bionic Dues: First 10 Screenshots!
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2013, 11:15:33 am »
From a purely fluff standpoint, might something more technological be more suitable for the 'whistle' ability? Something like 'ping' akin to modern day ping commands which would send out a signal intentionally alerting other robots in the area to its location.

The whistle is actually a really freaky robot noise, which is funny when you pair it with "whistle."  The game plays up a lot of humor in parts, so the idea of a whistling robot is as funny to me as a robot called "BlunderBot" which says "Oops!" as it fries its friends on the first shot. ;)

There's a mix of being thematic and dark and being funny.  The levels themselves can be creepy, and the ambient noises in the background are definitely unsettling (and can be turned off or down if you don't like that).  In retrospect I guess it has kind of a similar mix of tone of something vaguely like Portal -- vaguely vaguely -- though in general I'm not comfortable at all with that comparison.  Our writing isn't nearly as funny and isn't trying to be, and the games are nothing alike in general at all.  But the mix of funny plus thematic is similar in some very vague respects.  Mainly I bring that up because Portal shows that it can be done, versus really to say that our game is anything like Portal.  Can you tell I don't like comparing my stuff to Portal? ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2013, 03:00:20 pm »
From a purely fluff standpoint, might something more technological be more suitable for the 'whistle' ability? Something like 'ping' akin to modern day ping commands which would send out a signal intentionally alerting other robots in the area to its location.

The whistle is actually a really freaky robot noise, which is funny when you pair it with "whistle."  The game plays up a lot of humor in parts, so the idea of a whistling robot is as funny to me as a robot called "BlunderBot" which says "Oops!" as it fries its friends on the first shot. ;)

There's a mix of being thematic and dark and being funny.  The levels themselves can be creepy, and the ambient noises in the background are definitely unsettling (and can be turned off or down if you don't like that).  In retrospect I guess it has kind of a similar mix of tone of something vaguely like Portal -- vaguely vaguely -- though in general I'm not comfortable at all with that comparison.  Our writing isn't nearly as funny and isn't trying to be, and the games are nothing alike in general at all.  But the mix of funny plus thematic is similar in some very vague respects.  Mainly I bring that up because Portal shows that it can be done, versus really to say that our game is anything like Portal.  Can you tell I don't like comparing my stuff to Portal? ;)

Although Portal is an awesome game,  :)  Maybe because instead of shooting stuff, it was figuring out how to get through alive.  :)  Bionic sounds super cool, and different than anything i have heard of, and i am looking forward to getting it.
Though i still go back to Portal every year or so. Its doesn't explain itself, it doesn't play like other shoot em ups and its atmosphere was right on the nail.  :)

Just remembering...   :)

-Teal

Offline Breach

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2013, 03:18:04 pm »

Fair enough, I think I understand what you're trying to say and it is a hard atmosphere to describe. I'd say it's darker than Portal but with a light sprinkling of humour in there just to bring the player a bit out of the gloom every now and then. I'm not sure there's any comparison really - most games go full on grit or silliness.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2013, 03:19:55 pm »
Though i still go back to Portal every year or so. Its doesn't explain itself, it doesn't play like other shoot em ups and its atmosphere was right on the nail.  :)

Just remembering...   :)

Oh yes, me too. :)

I'd say it's darker than Portal but with a light sprinkling of humour in there just to bring the player a bit out of the gloom every now and then. I'm not sure there's any comparison really - most games go full on grit or silliness.

Yes to all of that.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2013, 07:08:42 pm »
It feels far less sinister than portal to me.  The early levels of portal were really funny to me, but then it turns pretty vicious/eery.  I haven't had anything like that feel here ;)

Of course, I haven't seen the MurderBot in action.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2013, 08:02:11 pm »
It feels far less sinister than portal to me.  The early levels of portal were really funny to me, but then it turns pretty vicious/eery.  I haven't had anything like that feel here ;)

Of course, I haven't seen the MurderBot in action.

You also play with sound off.  My wife was sitting near me not watching the screen, and kept remarking on how freaky the sound was.  Though with music that will change the tone of things anyway.

Still, yes -- far far less sinister than portal.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk