Author Topic: Bionic Dues: First 10 Screenshots!  (Read 18408 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Bionic Dues: First 10 Screenshots!
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 08:38:05 am »
Possibly the first one for the inventory screen, second one for this screen.  Though with edits on the second on in particular, that was just laid out quickly.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 10:27:10 am »
Awesome, we will hit you up in just a few weeks I think.  :)  Probably those two want to be in the alpha would get an invitation in around two weeks, thereabouts.  Public beta might start two weeks after that.  This is one of those games where it is kind of all or nothing: either it is done or close, or it can't really be played with too much enjoyment.  At this point it's pretty close to done, all things considered.  Still tons of balance and content work to do, but most of the screens (all that you are looking at) are pretty much final except for some flavor stuff.

Oh it's volunteer based? Pick me, pick me!  :D

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 10:29:23 am »
When it gets a bit closer to the time, we'll have a thread noting it and people can PM Josh (tigersfan) to submit to be part of it.  We have a whole process we go through with multiple waves of players (since you can only get someone's first impression once, etc) that we will explain at that time.  But you can go ahead and hit up Josh now if you want to be sure you're on the list.

The main thing that we ask is that volunteers actually have time to devote to this, so that we're actually getting the much-needed feedback and not just giving away copies of the game for no response, heh.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 11:29:17 am »
Click for the full-size versions of all of these, and bear in mind that these are jpegs so there is a little bit of lossiness to the images (but not much).
Why you no png?

Otherwise, this looks pretty great  :D

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 11:29:48 am »
Filesize -- blogger resizes images that are too large in filesize, and I didn't want it to do that.

EDIT: Oh, also.  If some other site comes in and finds a PNG that they want to repost, they'll convert it to JPEG often in a really cruddy way.  So if I do it first, it will look much better than they would do.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 01:06:10 pm »
I've already had someone ask about how much of a time commitment we're looking for for the alpha... Enough to spend a few hours on the game, I'd say. We're certainly not going to ask anyone to spend 40 hours/week testing this thing (that's my job :) ). But, we really do need someone to play it enough to get a good feel for balance and such.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 03:02:55 pm »
Interesting... the Deep Blue background has been commented on - I'm generally in favour of somewhat more faded palettes so that your Bots and interactive parts will stand out better.

= = =
 I also appreciate the optimism that led to the countryside being pristine green in a future mega-city setting. :P Since it seems like all of the missions will be in-doors, it doesn't really matter what the weather is like on the outside view of Port City, and sunny looks good. Although if I was given user choice, I would actually prefer a night view or more dawn/dusk - maybe I'm subconsciously thinking too much about Satellite Reign.

There's some flavours of Space Hulk to the mission layout here. How versatile is the map generator? (In gameplay terms, how easy is it to make/find alternative entrances if you don't feel like taking the front door?) I don't expect military compounds to be porous (these exos don't look like they'll fit through ventilation ducts, Splinter-Cell style), although one might like to approach sabotaging robot production factories in a creative manner. Hiding a goodie in a hallway under a bit of time-pressure might also be a good way to spice up things.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 03:06:39 pm by zharmad »

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 10:31:19 pm »
When it gets a bit closer to the time, we'll have a thread noting it and people can PM Josh (tigersfan) to submit to be part of it.  We have a whole process we go through with multiple waves of players (since you can only get someone's first impression once, etc) that we will explain at that time.  But you can go ahead and hit up Josh now if you want to be sure you're on the list.

The main thing that we ask is that volunteers actually have time to devote to this, so that we're actually getting the much-needed feedback and not just giving away copies of the game for no response, heh.

Cool, thanks. :) It's a good time of year for me in terms of that kind of time committment actually, as Age of Wonders 3 isn't out yet. :D

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 10:51:46 pm »
These two are real screenshots, not mockups.  Which do people prefer?  Darker or lighter?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:53:20 pm by x4000 »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 10:52:30 pm »
And while I'm sharing more screenshots. :)

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2013, 11:02:15 pm »
I like the lighter one.  Just my personal preference.  What I find really striking about the image is the parts graphics.  Did Blue do these?   Whoever did deserves very high praise!

The overworld map looks absolutely fantastic!  :o

I'm liking the "Customize" button, too.  It looks pretty highfalutin. :D

It seems so from what's been released so far, but will this game have the almost signature roguelike sense of humor?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:06:12 pm by mrhanman »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2013, 11:06:40 pm »
I like the lighter one.  Just my personal preference.

Me too, in the end.  I am going to make it not crowd in so much from the sides, though, as that gets overwhelming.  Then I think it's about perfect.  Attached that.

The overworld map looks absolutely fantastic!  :o

I'm liking the "Customize" button, too.  It looks pretty highfalutin. :D

Thanks on both!  That button shows up when you have not yet customized since coming to the world map.  If you're not doing that between each mission, you're doing something wrong! ;)

It seems so from what's been released so far, but will this game have the almost signature roguelike sense of humor?

Yes, it has a mix of both Keith's and my senses of humor.  I tend to have more dry/black humor, as noted in the images about being welcome in the city and all that.  He tends to have more laugh-out-loud hilarious humor, like the BlunderBot.  That one still gets me every time.  :P

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2013, 11:10:52 pm »
Just saw your edit:

I like the lighter one.  Just my personal preference.  What I find really striking about the image is the parts graphics.  Did Blue do these?   Whoever did deserves very high praise!

The parts graphics were drawn by Charity, then inked by Blue concocted by Blue from pieces of some other sketches, then inked by Blue, then colored by Catherine, then had a final layer of texturing by myself to give them that gritty look.  It takes a village!  That's true of most of the art in this game, actually!

And incidentally, Catherine has now joined our staff on a fulltime basis, at least temporarily for the rest of the year.  Two artists, woo!  Look at us now. ;)  I think the results speak for themselves.  Pretty much every screenshot has some touches from those two and me in terms of art, and then a lot of times some various other artists.  Raynaldo on icons, Holly and Charity and Genna on line art, as well as another wishes-to-remain-anonymous fellow on lineart.  And I think that's everyone.  Having pretty much everything final-colored by Catherine is what makes it all look so consistent though.

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2013, 11:26:15 pm »
Consistency certainly goes a long way.  It's all coming together beautifully. 

It just occured to me, but I've been watching Super Dimension Fortress Macross here lately, and some of the Bionic Dues art reminds me of that.  Only shinier.  8)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2013, 11:29:29 pm »
Oh wow, that's really pretty art!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk