Author Topic: Bionic Dues: Welcome To Port City  (Read 10161 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Bionic Dues: Welcome To Port City
« on: August 22, 2013, 11:27:03 am »
Original: http://christophermpark.blogspot.com/2013/08/bionic-dues-welcome-to-port-city.html

Bionic Dues will have a number of cities for you to do your campaigns in.  So far the only one that we've implemented is Port City, which you can see an artist's rendering of below.

Note that the below is not in-game graphics, although a scaled-down version of this does show in the Start New Game menu when you are choosing your city.

And below is the actual map image used for the in-game view of Port City (the background image, not showing the mission nodes or connections or HUD; soon, screenshots will be released that show the full in-game view.

All of that map south of the cloud line has spots for a variety of mission nodes in buildings along the streets.  Actually there are precisely 125 mission node spots, out of which you can complete a maximum of 50.  So you have to choose your path wisely.  Missions open up as you would expect along streets as you progress.

Where you start in the city, and what nodes are where in general, is heavily procedurally randomized.  There are a few rules about what cannot go next to what else, but beyond that it's very random.  So you may start a game in the north, or down by the bay, or near the grassy outskirts, etc.

Note: you can click the images above for full-sized versions.  For purposes of this blog, they are way scaled down and fairly low-quality jpegs.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
Re: Bionic Dues: Welcome To Port City
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 11:37:43 am »
Sweet :D!
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 11:39:23 am »
I love those clouds!

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 08:23:14 pm »
Looks neat. Is the city walled, though? It's an odd transition how it goes from what appears as "dense metropolitian" to "grassland" as a sudden transition.

Still, I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops. :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 08:25:08 pm »
Not walled, no.  If that's the biggest complaint someone has with a game of ours, I'll take it, though. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 10:19:39 pm »
:)

The concepts sound really good, so I'll be following development. Would love to have another of your games besides AI War to dig into. :) (Skyward Collapse wasn't my thing, as it turned out. )

Offline Histidine

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 01:11:17 am »
It's a bit striking how there are no parks and no suburbs. Thematic thing?
Also, "Port City" apparently has no ports depicted in either image :P

Other than that, the only thing I'd change would be to add some landmarks (think of how prominent buildings like the Eiffel Tower, Space Needle, Saint Basil's Cathedral, etc. stand out in their respective cities).

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 07:16:36 am »
It's a bit striking how there are no parks and no suburbs. Thematic thing?

Oh yes. :)

Also, "Port City" apparently has no ports depicted in either image :P

True, but it is on the water, so a port is implied.

Other than that, the only thing I'd change would be to add some landmarks (think of how prominent buildings like the Eiffel Tower, Space Needle, Saint Basil's Cathedral, etc. stand out in their respective cities).

Sorry, I should have clarified that those images are done done done done done. ;)  We're working on the game, not the details of one of the cities for tiny flavor.  Would love to have that kind of time, but I think you'd prefer more interesting things from me, honestly.  :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk