Author Topic: AOE attack boost  (Read 2397 times)

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
AOE attack boost
« on: September 10, 2013, 06:25:52 pm »
Can you give a weapon that has no AOE an AOE buy equipping AOE boosting modules?  I'd try it out myself, except that I don't have enough AOE parts to do so.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: AOE attack boost
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 06:35:03 pm »
I think not, but I'm honestly not sure.  We talked about a couple of ways of doing that, and I'm not sure which way wound up making it in!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 06:55:04 pm »
Related questions: I have a module that gives 52% AOE mounted in a Reactor slot.  When I mouseover the modules, it says "(Weapon) +52% Area of Effect".  Does that do anything if it's not mounted on a weapon?  Or does it apply to all weapons on the Exo?  How do we know what systems a given module can be mounted on?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 07:01:16 pm »
Any part that shows up in the picker for a system can be mounted there.  The tooltips for the parts in the inventory should mention what systems they can go in, I thought.  If not I need to add that sometime soon, it would be one for mantis.

In terms of the AOE increase, that sounds like a part that is bugged in terms of which systems it is allowed to go in; that's a weapon-only part that is apparently going somewhere else.  Or else it's one that is allowed to go various places but has a weapon-specific attribute.  That might be theoretically okay: that one bit would do nothing in the reactor, but the rest of the part would function.  While on the weapon it would also do this.  This might be something to throw in mantis with a savegame so I can look at the part.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 07:24:28 pm »
OK, issues Mantised.

Obviously, you aren't making this game specifically for me, but sometimes it really feels like it.  :D

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 07:25:06 pm »
 ;D

Offline Aeson

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 09:31:04 pm »
Actually, all of the parts that I've seen that have [Weapon] +something also have [other system] +(something else). Thus I would expect that his +52% AOE module also has a [Reactor] +something bonus, or at least is a module type that can fit in a reactor and carries some non-weapon bonus, and that the bonuses listed as [system] +bonus only apply if mounted in a slot under that particular system. I've seen parts that boosted AOE if mounted in a weapon that could be mounted elsewhere; they just have other bonuses if mounted in the other systems.

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 09:43:37 pm »
Right, and this particular module does have a reactor bonus, but it can't be mounted on a weapon despite having a weapon bonus.  Besides that, it has Propulsion in the name of the module, but can't be mounted in propulsion, either.  Basically, whether there is something bugged with this module or not, there needs to be something in the description that indicates which systems it can be mounted on.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 10:39:23 am »
The magnetic containment chamber (which has a reactor effect and a weapon effect) can only go either in the reactor or in an _AOE_ weapon.  I suppose it should make that clearer :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 10:40:27 am »
The magnetic containment chamber (which has a reactor effect and a weapon effect) can only go either in the reactor or in an _AOE_ weapon.  I suppose it should make that clearer :)

It's on my list, yeah, to make it show that info.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 11:06:17 am »

It's on my list, yeah, to make it show that info.
Ok.  Two possibilities come to mind, I'm not sure which is better:

1) Have an extra line (or suffix on the title line or whatever) showing the eligible slots.  You'd get this from, for example for the mag chamber:

this.Category = SystemModuleCategory.Reactor | SystemModuleCategory.AreaOfEffectWeapons;

Some logic for showing names of those when there's more than one value, etc.

or:

2) Instead of having it say "(Weapon) +52% AOE", have it say "(AOE Weapon) +52% AOE".  This would be somewhat more complex because the effect is actually just weapon-only, and doesn't do the aoe-weapon-only restriction there:

this.AddEntry( ModuleEffectType.IncreaseAreaOfEffect, EntitySystemCategory.Weapon, 1f, 1f );

But the display code could infer from (Category & SystemModuleCategory.Weapons == 0) && (Category & SystemModuleCategory.AreaOfEffectWeapons != 0) that it should display the other, in theory.

Which would be your preference?  Or does neither work?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 11:07:37 am »
I was going to pull from the categories and append those to the start of the flavor description, since that is shown so many more places now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk