Author Topic: A note on comic presentation  (Read 2643 times)

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
A note on comic presentation
« on: October 05, 2013, 02:27:42 am »
Since we getting an intro comic for Bionic as well (yay!) there was one thing I wanted to bring up:

I loved the comic Nick created for Skyward, but always felt that the presentation in-game felt somewhat lacklustre. Simply displaying the comic as a scrollable(!) overlay to the main menu always felt - cheap, something that definitely does not do Nick's work justice and should therefore be changed (if possible) ; ).

I always asked myself whether it would be possible to display the comic page by page as a kind of slideshow intro movie that is displayed after you start a new game, similar to how you did it with Haven. You could even have khadgar read some selected lines from each page for extra flavor :D.

I think this would be a *vast* improvement.
Thoughts :)?
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: A note on comic presentation
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 07:46:06 am »
No, that is not possible with skyward, because the pages were too tall for people's monitors. With Bionic, that may work, but I'm not sure on the exact page dimensions. If it is larger than 720 tall, it's going to be scrolling again.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 10:17:58 am »
A agree a more slidehowy presentation would be nicer. Another option is to possibly to slowly auto scroll the comic vertically.

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 11:11:42 am »
Actually i rather like the comic the way it was presented in Skyward, i mean, well.... Shattered Haven's intro was very much of a lead in to the game, where Valley's was sort of a jump stright into the game and was also acting as a tutorial for the game. Skyward seemed to me, to sort of show the player what the game was in a funny overview way kind of and the comic worked great for that.

I think the comic will work for Bionic in the same way, and don't get upset, but i really prefer to have control over the scroll myself, rather than an auto scroll. and a change around at this point for any of that code is going to be messing with something late that really is only something cosmetic.

Everything is really nicely polished and i really don't think messing with comic presentation at this point is worth the risk of messing something up. I mean if Arcen thought early on in the development that a change up was needed, then it could be done in increments if necessary, but the Saturday before a Tuesday launch? I think you guys really aren't thinking right.  :)

Please don't get mad, i'm just trying to keep things calm and kosher before the game goes into launch.  :)

-Teal

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 08:47:23 pm »
True.  Most likely we'll stick with the existing approach for this one, for simple time reasons.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Histidine

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 09:43:51 am »
I just remembered we never actually did get the comic. Did something happen to Nick?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 10:05:21 am »
There were some issues that came up.  It was partly completed, but couldn't be finished for some personal reasons on his end.

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 12:09:10 pm »
There were some issues that came up.  It was partly completed, but couldn't be finished for some personal reasons on his end.
I asked myself what became of the comic a couple of times as well.
Too bad :-\. I was looking forward to that one...
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk