Author Topic: .915 out -- Linux support!  (Read 3253 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
.915 out -- Linux support!
« on: September 18, 2013, 04:34:15 pm »
Release notes: http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Bionic_Dues_Alpha_Release_Notes#Alpha_0.915_Linux_Support.21

Restart steam to get access to it quicker. :)

New stuff:

- We've upgraded our version of unity to 4.2.1, so if you run into any problems with that, please let us know.  Knock on wood, finally seems to be working as well as 3.3 has been.

- Linux support is now tentatively added.  We've not tested it yet, but if you have Steam for linux please by all means do.  Meanwhile we're working on getting a VM for it up and going on our end.  Of course, if it doesn't work, there's not a lot we can really do -- unity is really hands-off in terms of that sort of thing.  But it works on OSX without any hitch, so I don't see why the same would not be true of linux.  Again knock on wood.

- The health of non-boss robots on hard and expert modes is now back down to more reasonable levels.

- There was a quasi-memory-leak that is now fixed.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
Re: .915 out -- Linux support!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 04:38:49 pm »
Wow -- says he typing from a Linux box running Steam for Linux. I'll probably do all my testing on Linux now then. Nice one! Wasn't expecting this...  :o

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 04:42:00 pm »
Neither were we. :)  At least not for a while.  Let me know if it runs!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 04:49:51 pm »
Had to attempt to fire it up before doing some work, but got an error (failed to start game missing executable). This might be on my end, I'm not sure. I haven't run a steam game for a while (on Linux). All files were validated correctly.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 04:51:45 pm »
The missing executable thing is something that periodically comes up on all platforms.

Apparently something gets the idea that deleting the .exe is a great idea, and poof.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 04:57:04 pm »
The missing executable thing is something that periodically comes up on all platforms.

Apparently something gets the idea that deleting the .exe is a great idea, and poof.
Any potential fix -- redownload?

FTL works ok.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 04:58:45 pm »
Oops, I forgot to tell it where the linux executable was.  Now it knows -- possibly a restart is needed, and then it should work.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 05:04:30 pm »
Oops, I forgot to tell it where the linux executable was.  Now it knows -- possibly a restart is needed, and then it should work.

OK, cool. Thanks.....tries it......hmmm same problem. Still says executable missing. Maybe if I reboot PC....hmm not sure, have to try later.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 05:06:47 pm »
If you go to the install folder and run BionicLinux.x86, that should do it manually.  If that isn't there, then we have another problem. ;)

I'm off for the night, but will check back tomorrow!

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 05:17:38 pm »
If you go to the install folder and run BionicLinux.x86, that should do it manually.  If that isn't there, then we have another problem. ;)

Just checked. Not there for me if it's supposed to be in the root directory.

Offline Winge

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 06:21:56 pm »
Is the Bahamut mission allowed to seed next to HQ in Expert?  If not, you may want to check out this.
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 07:01:25 pm »

Just checked. Not there for me if it's supposed to be in the root directory.

Okay, if you restart steam it now _should_ be.  Turns out the linux package was not properly associated with the game -- some of the internals of the steamworks setup I'm still learning, as it's been evolving and some things used to be done by Valve that are (very happily) now done by us.  Having more control over the publishing process is a wonderful wonderful thing, but it does make for some learning experiences.

Is the Bahamut mission allowed to seed next to HQ in Expert?  If not, you may want to check out this.

Sigh, no, not supposed to happen.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 07:07:52 pm »
Some good news. It boots up! Gonna test later, thanks!

Edit: lol only just realised you can customize your starting squad

... less good news, for some reason my mouse pointer appears over the in game pointer

Not sure yet, but the resolution doesn't look like 1600x900... it seems lower even though it says 1600x900 on the settings.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:16:21 pm by Pepisolo »

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 07:28:29 pm »
So, does this mean the loading problem in linux unity has gone missing? :D

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 07:37:03 pm »
So, does this mean the loading problem in linux unity has gone missing? :D
Not to our knowledge, but Bionic has a lot less to load than AIW or the Valley games.  Iirc, at least.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk