Author Topic: What are the correct terms related to customization?  (Read 1466 times)

Offline GrimerX

• Newbie Mark III
What are the correct terms related to customization?
« on: September 13, 2013, 03:19:49 am »
Filing a bunch of bugs related to equipment management and realized I was using all kinds of terms, and it's probably confusing for the people reading the bugs.

Individual items -- referred to as "Parts", "Module" and "Device" on the customization screen, and "item" and "gear" in the shop.  And "loot" in various places of course ;-)

What is the term for each square I can put a part in?  "Slot"?  But that doesn't sound very good :)

What is the term for the group of related squares? (ex: "Shields")?  I've been calling it a 'bay', but that's not quite right either.

I'm sure others here can come up with much better ideas, or the devs can just correct me :)

Offline GrimerX

• Newbie Mark III
Re: What are the correct terms related to customization?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 03:39:34 am »
Also, what about each "entry" in the component?  "Buff"?  "Improvement"? 

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 10:27:08 am »
The overall groups are called Systems.  The individual spaces in them are called Slots.  The actual things that go in the slots are called Parts.

We do refer to parts as loot sometimes, but so far as I know it's only in the context of, well, them being loot.  It's not their name, any more than your name is "the player," but it's referring to their role at that time.

In terms of "module" or "device," if it's referring to those as a non-proper-noun, then that's definitely something that needs to be corrected.  But if it's like "Shield Module of Doom," that's just its actual proper-noun name.

Each entry in the part is generally referred to internally as an Effect, but I'm not sure that we actually bubble that up to the interface anywhere.  When the line-item is on the bot itself, we simply refer to it as a Stat.  So the effects are changes to stats, in other words.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline GrimerX

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 12:00:01 pm »
Cool, thanks Chris.

Was joking about "loot", guess that didn't come through :)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 12:16:56 pm »
Oh, sorry. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk