Author Topic: .908 out now.  (Read 7461 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
.908 out now.
« on: September 12, 2013, 12:37:54 pm »
Release notes: http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Bionic_Dues_Alpha_Release_Notes#Alpha_0.908

Close and reopen steam if you want it instantly. :)

So, this one really addresses a lot of difficulty-level stuff.  Been thinking the bots were a bit too easy?  You have too much health, they have too little range?  This is addressing both, although their range still starts the same as it was.

The amount of chaff parts that you're getting is also way lower, so the customization screens are not so overflowing with parts and you also don't have to spend as much time with that in general.

There are a few other balance-related changes as well, some in your favor, some not.  Hacking and virus now require more points from the start, but it's just a flat added fee for them.  Your baseline awesome stealth module and (for science) hacking module are both now built-in, so you get those slots back to use for other parts.

Plus there are some new hotkeys, some tooltip clarifications, and a number of bugfixes.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
Re: .908 out now.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 01:30:05 pm »
Would it be... recommended to start new game for this?
I'm not that far in my current one. Could do some science there but I might whine slightly after :D

Offline Histidine

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 01:53:01 pm »
Whee!

I suppose we'll start seeing new city maps after the alpha concludes?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 02:20:05 pm »
I don't know that starting a new one is all that important here, as you haven't lost anything by being in an older save. But you can if you like, sure.

As for new cities, hopefully by sometime next week I can get another two in. I think for now we will stop with 3, rather than 5.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 02:37:57 pm »
The hacking cost of hacking doors and computers is now 5 + ( TileLevel / 3 ), where TileLevel is the day ( 50 - DaysRemaining). Previously the hacking cost was just ( TileLevel / 3 ). There are some exceptions that are cheaper or more expensive than this baseline.

This change has really hurt Emma's pilot ability. With the extra stuff behind locked doors, you need a lot of extra hacking points to get it. It also makes it easier to run out of points and not be able to get all the loot, because you found more ammo crates instead.

Maybe the "bonus" items should be behind unlocked doors?

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 03:32:52 pm »
I haven't played Emma but proposal seems to be reasonable.
I'm hoping that fix to bonuses that properly gives 50% more of total hack points will help alleviate this one a bit.

I was thinking about running new game mainly to check how less of equipment affects bots customization. I'm reading a book tho so my play time got delayed :D

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 04:09:29 pm »
Maybe Emma should also get 50% more hacking points?

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 04:12:34 pm »
More hacking points would also work, yes.

Offline Hyfrydle

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 04:15:30 pm »
The tooltip over the Exo's on the main game screen shows the same information twice see below:

This happens when mousing over all Exo's.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 04:16:05 pm »
We could also come up with a new bonus for Emma.  I feel like hers is kind of lame, personally, compared to the others.  Anyone else agree?  Anyone else have ideas of what you might want as a commander ability?  The other 5 are good at this point, now that Tuck's got redefined. But I'm just not keen on Emma...

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 04:16:20 pm »
The tooltip over the Exo's on the main game screen shows the same information twice see below:

This happens when mousing over all Exo's.

Yep, it's in mantis.  Thanks!

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 04:22:17 pm »
We could also come up with a new bonus for Emma.  I feel like hers is kind of lame, personally, compared to the others.  Anyone else agree?  Anyone else have ideas of what you might want as a commander ability?  The other 5 are good at this point, now that Tuck's got redefined. But I'm just not keen on Emma...

It's not flashy, true. It's handy if you like to spam low use ammo or stealth as you get more recharges, but its not one of the stronger ones.

Potentially stupidly overpowered ability: Script Kiddie - can use virus points at range (perhaps at increased cost as distance increases).

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 04:38:23 pm »
Potentially stupidly overpowered ability: Script Kiddie - can use virus points at range (perhaps at increased cost as distance increases).

That would be tricky, and pretty hard to program.

We could make shop items half price as one, I guess.  Or the shop carry something like 4x as many items... that one is really interesting actually!  That way you can really control what you are buying.  I think I will change her to that actually.

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 04:45:03 pm »
I just got 35 DoomBots and 11 MasterMind Bots in the initial robot army in my current game on Normal.
Is this intended ??? ? I was somehow under the impression the robot army would start low by using many "grunt" bot types and would increase in tech level once the days are passing...

I am a little - concerned - imagining what these 35 DoomBots will be like on Day 50 ;D!

EDIT: I kinda think Emma's bonus is fine as it makes for a good selection for new players who don't want to trivialize the game by playing on too low a difficulty by giving them a little bit of extra support during missions...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 04:49:08 pm by nas1m »
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline Hyfrydle

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 04:46:00 pm »
I'm blocked in by my own turrets and don't think I complete the mission without getting past them is it not possible to destroy turrets if necessary?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk