Author Topic: Various Multiplayer Issues  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Matthew Carras

• Newbie Mark II
Various Multiplayer Issues
« on: July 17, 2012, 01:08:23 am »

Hi, I just got this game recently and am loving it. So do my 6 friends who all play on my server, which runs on same machine I play on. Multiplayer overall works pretty well, but there's some relatively minor issues I thought I'd consolidate here:

- Players often teleport around to me, the local player, even though their ping is <30ms.

- When jumping, players often start rolling in place for a few seconds, then teleport to their destination.

- Sometimes players turn invisible for me (the local player). This has only happened once so far, and when it did happen, I could still see their spell attacks, and another player could still see this player fine.

- Players health is often misreported. The player health bar (for other players) is pretty much useless to me.

Let me know what I can do to help diagnose these issues. I also run a Minecraft, Mumble (Murmur), Terraria, DwarfFortress (dfterm2), and various other servers as needed on this same connection with the same networking equipment (not the same machines), usually not at the same time. This is a FiOS Business line with most of the players in the same state as me, so pings are low and packet loss is almost non-existent.

I plan on moving the server to a VM on my BSD server box instead of running it on my desktop to see if things improve, to avoid using my desktop as a server, and ease of ZFS snapshotting.

Offline Walter Sullivan

• Newbie Mark II
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Re: Various Multiplayer Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 12:25:25 am »
The health bar one happened to me as well when I played it some time ago with my sister and a friend. When I looked at my sister character she was on the "yellow" on life, but on her computer she was on red with low life. I don't think it was because of lag since we were on lan(me and her, my friend was in his house). I think that because of that I couldn't give her health, since to me she was with more health than me even though to her she was on red, but it was some time ago so I can't be sure.
Oh and I think that changing rooms made the life get normal again.

Players teleporting happens here too, but since the monsters don't seem to teleport, it doesn't really bother me that much.
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed" - The Dark Tower

Offline Matthew Carras

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 04:29:40 am »

Yeah the teleporting and spinning around doesn't really bother me very much either, I just wanted to report it in case others saw the same thing.

I didn't make a ticket yet as it's multiple issues that may or may not have the same cause, I'm not sure.

Offline stephanreiken

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 04:55:39 am »
Lets add to this.

1) Clients mis-sync with the server and reports other players are dead even though they aren't and have no reason to be. I've watched as someone dies, and dies repeatedly on my screen but still fires spells and no ghost appears. Never fixes itself.

2) Servers don't know how to load chunks, seriously.

If you place a stack of boxes, leave, and come back, the stack of boxes will be one box on the ground like they'd fallen. Its pretty clear its not taking into account that boxes are solid objects when a SERVER loads a chunk. But in single player this never happens. Same thing occurs with wooden platforms, you can't make bridges for areas because they just fall down if you leave.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk