Author Topic: Unhandled Error when creating Launch Rock Spell  (Read 3592 times)

Offline guttermanek

Unhandled Error when creating Launch Rock Spell
« on: May 12, 2012, 02:14:22 pm »
Hi,

First off - love the game. Reminds me of another game I used to play the heck out of (Terraria), just much more complicated. :)

Second off - I searched the forums and couldn't find anything on this already, but might have missed it if I use the wrong terms.

I'm a total AVWW n00b - this is my first day playing. I guess I'm on the tutorial mission (?) and I'm trying to create my first spell using the spell workbench. I have the jade and I can click 'learn new spell'. Then I click on the Launch Rock spell and then click to learn it. I immediately get infinite repeating 'unhandled error' messages in the top right box. I can't exit out of the game and I have to CAD to leave. Then of course I have to delete the lock.dat to play again, but it doesn't matter - I keep getting the error.

I first tried to see if I was doing something before I was supposed to do it, so I fully explored the cave I was in (and the outside) and realized the only way to proceed was to learn this spell since there are two slimes (above ground and in the cavern) that have to be killed and are immune to my other spells.

Second, I tried using the updater which I guess wasn't done after I installed the game initially. It updated (though I don't know to what) and I tried playing the world only to get the error again.

Third, I tried deleting the world and creating a new one. Unfortunately I had the same problem after all that.

Fourth, I came here and searched, and fifth - created this post. I attached the error report found in 'runtimedata'.

Help, please :)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Unhandled Error when creating Launch Rock Spell
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 07:15:19 pm »
Welcome to the forums!  And thanks for the kind words.  I can't actually duplicate the issue you're reporting, though.  I'd suggest verifying your steam cache if you installed it through Steam, and then running the updater again to get to the latest version.  If this still happens you may want to play on 1.0 until Monday, but I'm not sure why nobody else is reporting it and I can't duplicate it; if you're able to upload a zipped copy of your world folder where this is happening on Monday, that would be helpful in tracking this down if it's actually a bug in 1.018 and not just a corrupt install.

Hope that helps!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline guttermanek

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 08:10:24 pm »
Thanks for the reply!

Okay - I did what you suggested and I figured out something else (though it doesn't seem to help my problem, yet).  I verified game cache in Steam and it said it had to reacquire 14 files. After it acquired them, I ran the verification again and it said it was fine.

I then started the game and the main menu said 'found updates Beta 6'. So I clicked this and it ran the auto-updater tool and (I assume) updated. Then, just to test, I verified game cache yet again and guess what - 14 files needed to be reacquired.

Next I'm going to see if not running that updater will let me progress past creating the spell. If that doesn't work....well...I think I'm out of ideas for now. :S :)

Offline guttermanek

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 08:29:36 pm »
Okay - tried without running updater but had the same problem. I'll just delete the game altogether and try again in the future. :(

Thanks for trying to help, though! :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 09:09:11 am »
Hmmm; it's really odd that you're seeing this and nobody else is.  If that's the case, I'm not sure that just coming back later is going to solve it.  We've got several thousand people on the latest beta without this coming up any other times.  That's what makes it so very odd.

We're looking at ways to repro it, but on the info we have right now it seems very strange indeed.  Does it work for you if you do any other spells?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline guttermanek

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 09:25:03 am »
I'll redownload/reinstall and try again just to test.

I work in tech support and honestly, when one person sees a problem that no one else has ever reported, chances are - it's a remote problem (his PC). But I can't think of anything on my end that would be causing this or better yet, causing something NOT to happen that should.

Anyway, I'll do a complete reload and see if it happens again.

*To answer your question, the other two spells work fine because I pick them up, I don't learn them. And I can't learn any other spells at the beginning because (I assume) I don't have the necessary crafting requirements yet. So the only spell I can learn is 'Launch Rock'.

Just for craps and laughs, do you know of a way I can 'hack' it so I can obtain crafting materials for *another* spell so I can test? Just to see if I can learn another spell or not...

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 09:47:27 am »
Okay, so we're talking about actually doing the learning of that spell, not just equipping it fresh -- that's some helpful info.  You can actually get other types of spellgems if you go through a different part of the cave mission and get the blue sapphires.  You have to fight shadow bats to do that, but then you can get I think Ice Cross from that.

It may be that this is some sort of problem in the latest betas and nobody on the beta is running into the issue because they're taking some slightly different path or they are already passed the intro mission or something else.  So I wouldn't rule out a bug completely; just not being able to repro it puts us in a pretty difficult spot, as I'm sure you know given your work -- I doubt this is a remote PC problem, but you never know.  If you're able to post the zipped world folder of a case where this happens, that would be great because then we'd be able to see if that persists to our machines on your world folder.

Offline guttermanek

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 10:06:56 am »
Okay - I attached a .rar of the current world. Hope it helps :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 10:12:22 am »
Okay... any context on what to do with that world to cause the crash?  I was in the room with the bats, and so I went back over to the spellgem crafting workbench two rooms over and tried to craft launch rock 1.  Worked like a charm -- so I'm not sure if you're doing something different that is causing the exception, or if it's just not duplicating for me.

Offline guttermanek

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 04:38:27 pm »
Not sure - I will try to kill the bats and get another gem this next time. Just weird that no matter what I do, trying to learn that particular spell always gives the error. Scree-shotted this time. It's right after I clicked 'Launch Rock 1'.

Offline guttermanek

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 04:54:42 pm »
Okay....killed the slime after about 200 shots (thank God for autofire!).  Killed the bats, looted the area and went back with sapphire to try to create an ice spell. Tried to learn 'ice block 1' and guess what? LOL. Same issue.

So what would cause me to not be able to create any spell? Clicking on that button causes something to jack up. These are things that I do not know :)

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 07:19:46 pm »
I'm sorry, just so I'm clear, did you actually do a re-install of the game?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 09:05:01 am »
Also, can you post your latest unhandled exceptions log?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk