Author Topic: [RESOLVED] Framerate Issue  (Read 22436 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Framerate Issue
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2012, 04:46:15 pm »
Thanks!  Should be in the next 6 hours or so, but I don't know exactly when.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
  • If you're not drunk you're doing it wrong.
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2012, 12:44:50 am »
This thread is a perfect example of why Artificial Intelligence will never take over the world.

"Alright, I've optimized everything and can go to low power mode..."

30 seconds later.

"Things...... to ..... doooo...... Uggghhhhh....."  Zombie Computer.  It's gone "Braindead on Brony!"

ATI, once again, you have put the IT industry to shame.
... and then we'll have cake.

Offline Purlox

« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2012, 03:50:51 am »
Why don't we take this further and make an option that spawns ponies as unkillable background characters like the characters in your "village"? (Of course after 1.0, because it isn't neccessary for the release version)

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2012, 06:39:38 am »
Likely because Hasbro would not be amused ^^
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2012, 08:48:58 am »
Why don't we take this further and make an option that spawns ponies as unkillable background characters like the characters in your "village"? (Of course after 1.0, because it isn't neccessary for the release version)

Like pink scorpions?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Purlox

« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2012, 08:58:30 am »
Likely because Hasbro would not be amused ^^
I'm not saying they should copy the ponies Hasbro holds copyright of, I'm saying we could make our own ponies in the graphical style of AVWW.

Like pink scorpions?
I think pink scorpions won't feel like ponies.

Offline Castruccio

« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2012, 09:02:10 am »
Thanks!  Should be in the next 6 hours or so, but I don't know exactly when.

Well, you're not going to like this.  I tried values between 50-3500 on the GPU Boost setting and all they do is slow my framerate to a crawl.  At a setting of 50 I can get around 5-10 fps, whereas at  a setting of 3500 I get about 1 fps.  The 'My Little Pony' videos, on the other hand, still result in a 15-30 frame boost when they are running.

Interestingly, when I run the GPU Boost  with the videos on the framerate does not drop nearly as much as when I run the GPU Boost with the videos off.  In other words, the videos seem to HELP the pc deal with the increased load from the GPU Boost setting.

Since you're getting so close to 1.0 and have so much on your plate, I suppose it's best to table this issue until you see how widespread the probelem is.  Nonetheless, the videos still work --and even help the machine deal with the increased GPU load.

Offline DeBunny

• Newbie Mark II
  • The Watcher
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2012, 09:11:30 am »
The Magic of Friendship transcends barriers of space and technology, to help ponies and humans alike.

This sounds kind of like the opposite of a brief bug I had with Terraria, where the game would sometimes fly into hyper-drive if I left it on and came back after tabbing away to fiddle with stuff on Firefox.
Never figured out why, but it vanished at some point on its own.

Clearly computers are just strange, mysterious beings.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2012, 09:26:24 am »
Castruccio -- okay, thanks for that information, frustrating as it is. ;)

I'm going to see if I can't make that work a slightly different way, which might be more likely to give a constant load to your GPU.  If it's not a matter of load, but a matter of something to do with shaders or something, then that's going to have to wait until after 1.0 and I'll have to insert some sort of shader calls that trigger more advanced features of your card.  But that would take a lot of trial and error.

Sorry this isn't working out any faster, but glad the pony express helps, at least!

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2012, 09:31:00 am »
Maybe everything runs better with MLP youtube videos in the background..... It's not like anyone ever benchmarked for that.
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Castruccio

« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2012, 11:34:41 am »
Maybe everything runs better with MLP youtube videos in the background..... It's not like anyone ever benchmarked for that.

I should run Crysis 2 with MLP in the background. 

Offline Castruccio

« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2012, 11:38:07 am »

Sorry this isn't working out any faster, but glad the pony express helps, at least!

Thanks for looking into it as much as you have.  I am actually going to look into getting a card that will deal with 2D games better (without these crazy workarounds). 

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2012, 11:43:10 am »
It's my pleasure!

Offline quickstix

• Buy Now
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2012, 11:15:54 am »
If it helps I'm having a similar (if not the same) issue. Was running the game a month ago with 2xGTX 460s in SLI and it was running smooth as silk. Have since then swapped to 2xRadeon 6850s in Crossfire I'm getting 50-70 fps on the main menu and a bumpy 30-40 fps in game (tested on the first screen of a new world). GPU boost doesn't do much except drop my fps to 20-25 at the top end of values. Unfortunately I never looked at fps when I ran the 460s as I never had a need to, so I don't have a fps comparison. All other computer parts are the same.

Don't know how much that helps, but at the very least I'm having the same problem. Also, I haven't booted the game since I swapped GPUs last month as I don't have much time to play, so I can't say if it happened after swapping cards of after an update. Given what I'm seeing though, it's most likely to be the gpus and I might just need to wait for new drivers.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2012, 11:23:37 am »
So, does running a youtube video in the background increase your framerate as well? Have you tried that?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk