Author Topic: Probably the most basic ever questions...  (Read 3218 times)

Offline timtim

Probably the most basic ever questions...
« on: April 29, 2012, 02:05:50 am »
But I couldn't find the answers...

1. The green orbs after you defeat an enemy I assume is experience. Is it collected automatically? Some enemies the green orbs seem to suck into the character, where as sometimes it just floats around. Do I need to do anything to collect the floating green orbs to get the experience?

2. Is there a recommended mouse setting to use all the inventory items with the mouse? I tried to use the scroll wheel but kept accidently switching item when pressing down on the mousewheel.

This is the first game I've played for AGES so a massive newbie apparently.

Love the game though, and have great hopes for updates too - I want thousands of spells and things, as I love that you can smash everything but 99% of things seem to drop nothing? (I'm smashing things with my fire spell, is this the best way? I keep smashing mushrooms hoping to pick mushrooms up but they never ever drop anything)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 02:08:57 am by timtim »

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
  • If you're not drunk you're doing it wrong.
Re: Probably the most basic ever questions...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 03:51:41 am »
But I couldn't find the answers...

1. The green orbs after you defeat an enemy I assume is experience. Is it collected automatically? Some enemies the green orbs seem to suck into the character, where as sometimes it just floats around. Do I need to do anything to collect the floating green orbs to get the experience?

Actually, that's health, which is why sometimes it won't come to you.  If you're full health they'll hang around for their lifespan (~2 minutes) in case you might need them, then they fade.

2. Is there a recommended mouse setting to use all the inventory items with the mouse? I tried to use the scroll wheel but kept accidently switching item when pressing down on the mousewheel.
This is more personal feel than anything.  If the mouse-down is screwing you up, un set it. :)

This is the first game I've played for AGES so a massive newbie apparently.
HOWDY!  Nice ta meetcha.

Love the game though, and have great hopes for updates too - I want thousands of spells and things, as I love that you can smash everything but 99% of things seem to drop nothing? (I'm smashing things with my fire spell, is this the best way? I keep smashing mushrooms hoping to pick mushrooms up but they never ever drop anything)
Critters only drop health (currently).  If you're looking for somethign specific hit the encyclopedia and it'll tell you where to look. :)
... and then we'll have cake.

Offline timtim

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 05:23:43 am »
Ah golly, thanks for the help! It's health! This explains a lot!

So in terms of drops, I 'hit' objects by casting a flame spell on it - is this the correct way to collect things? I thought maybe I was doing it wrong when mushrooms weren't dropping anything, same for random furniture in houses (like closets and stuff). Chests and rocks and some trees drop stuff though, just checking I'm doing it right.

I'm only a couple of hours in, and a slow player so only explored a couple of places - it's such a detailed game though, much to learn. I look forward to reading through these forums to look what to expect in updates and view tips - are there any decent 'Lets Play' videos going on that are worth a watch (and to get tips from)? I hear you can build villages and stuff, though I reckon I'm miles away from that stage of the game.

I've not "crafted" anything yet, though collected some stuff. I've miraculously got about ten spells to choose from though, do they get automatically learnt? I thought you needed to craft new spells. I'm gonna read the encyclopedia tonight to learn more about the game tonight...

Anyway, cheers again!

Offline timtim

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 05:27:38 am »
Oh oh, one final question - is it possible to do co-op on the same Steam account on two different laptops? (I downloaded Steam just to get this game, so very new to it)

The girlfriend watched me playing it and seems to like the look of it, thought it might be a nice bonding activity to play together!

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
  • If you're not drunk you're doing it wrong.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 05:38:52 am »
So in terms of drops, I 'hit' objects by casting a flame spell on it - is this the correct way to collect things? I thought maybe I was doing it wrong when mushrooms weren't dropping anything, same for random furniture in houses (like closets and stuff). Chests and rocks and some trees drop stuff though, just checking I'm doing it right.
Yep.  What you're arguing with there is what's considered a background object.  Only certain spells will hit those.  After the first settlement you'll probably be best off using one of the whips (miasma/leafy) to chainsaw the background trees and the like.

Most background stuff actually won't drop anything.  If it can, it *will*.  Don't waste time wailing away on background stuff that didn't drop anything last time.

If you pause, you can hover over the background objects and find out what they are.  Eventually you'll learn to see them on sight.

I'm only a couple of hours in, and a slow player so only explored a couple of places - it's such a detailed game though, much to learn. I look forward to reading through these forums to look what to expect in updates and view tips - are there any decent 'Lets Play' videos going on that are worth a watch (and to get tips from)? I hear you can build villages and stuff, though I reckon I'm miles away from that stage of the game.
I haven't seen a good Let's Play game.  I've debated on doing one but haven't yet.  Most miss the point that I've watched, even the 'praised' ones.

As to NPCs and city building, literally: DON'T worry about it.  No, seriously.  You honestly don't care unless you can't do something you want to.  The city affects your guardian scrolls and which ones you can use (buoys and windshelters are the ones you truly care about, everything else falls under the heading of "Handy").  The Second Continent when you don't have everything you need and you have to work through building the city to finally drop your first windshelter will actually teach you a ton about what's actually going on there.  In the first continent it's basically a too much information, screw it, don't sweat it.  Here, have what you need.

I've not "crafted" anything yet, though collected some stuff. I've miraculously got about ten spells to choose from though, do they get automatically learnt? I thought you needed to craft new spells. I'm gonna read the encyclopedia tonight to learn more about the game tonight...
You get a wide variety of spells really quickly after the tutorial so you have a decent base to experiment with at Tier 1.  The entire purpose of that is to help you decide what you want to craft LATER.  If you hit the encylopedia, you can see what spells you can craft eventually.  If you click into those it'll tell you what you need to go to Tier 2 (and eventually, 3 4 and 5).  Right now it's a case of equip everything and try it all twice. :)

Regarding your last question of your gf playing with you on a LAN server: AFAIK you can't, the game tracks the keys and players logged in by key (and then name, but key is primary importance).  I don't know for sure though.
... and then we'll have cake.

Offline Havocprime

• Beard Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 06:03:35 am »
Regarding your last question of your gf playing with you on a LAN server: AFAIK you can't, the game tracks the keys and players logged in by key (and then name, but key is primary importance).  I don't know for sure though.

@Wanderer. The game does differentiate between two players on the same network, or at least on a virtual network. I haven't done direct lan'ing but using Hamachi I can promise you vLAN servers can be used to play with other people in your household/network. I also assume that because it recognizes seperate keys for other players on a vLAN game, it would do the same for a LAN game.

Hamachi is the best (in my opinion), Virtual Local Area Networking tools out there, it's really simple and straight forward, and still gets the job done.
(In case you don't have it) -> http://hamachi.en.softonic.com/download

{EDIT}

Oh oh, one final question - is it possible to do co-op on the same Steam account on two different laptops? (I downloaded Steam just to get this game, so very new to it)

The girlfriend watched me playing it and seems to like the look of it, thought it might be a nice bonding activity to play together!

Sorry TimTim, I actually overlooked your post and didn't realize you were asking about using the same Steam account.
To answer your question you won't be able to LAN with the same steam account.
This actually doesn't have to do with LAN'ing as much as it does using the same steam account. Due to the way Steam operates, they only allow one computer to be logged into the steam account at a time. If she were to log in to your steam account while you were playing; you would be disconnected from steam until you logged back in. This ensures that people don't share steam accounts to let their friends download games that they didn't pay for.

The sad truth is that if you two wanted to share a LAN session over steam, you would have to create another steam account (which is free) and purchase the game on that account as well (which isn't free). Once you have two separate copies of the game running on two separate steam accounts, you would be able to LAN with your girlfriend :).
(Which is exactly what I did!)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 06:10:39 am by Havocprime »

Offline timtim

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 06:18:25 am »
More great responses, thanks - this has helped a lot!

And you'd recommend it's worth paying another $14.99 for co-op? I miss the days when co-op was local and on the same computer (old games of Worms and Oddworld and Mario All Stars as a kid...). I'll check out that program though, cheers!

Offline timtim

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 06:27:30 am »
Gah, this is another basic question - does Steam automatically update games? It says I have version 1.000 but saw that some updates had happened, I've looked around on Steam and can't find where to update the game. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I'm on a Mac so maybe the update hasn't arrived for Mac yet? (just to clarify, I see in Settings on the game that it is searching for updates - but it's still not updated to the latest version)

Purchasing second copy of game to play with the girlfriend now though :D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 06:30:14 am by timtim »

Offline Havocprime

• Beard Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 06:35:57 am »
And you'd recommend it's worth paying another $14.99 for co-op?
Yes I do! First of all supporting the developers for this awesome game is a must, but second of all after setting up my own server and buying the 4-pack on Steam, this game has completely changed. The Co-op adds an awesome amount of new fun especially if you're in the same room with others or on mic with them. I definitely recommend getting another copy.

I miss the days when co-op was local and on the same computer (old games of Worms and Oddworld and Mario All Stars as a kid...). I'll check out that program though, cheers!
I couldn't agree more! Back when you could use the same install discs on any computer ;)

Gah, this is another basic question - does Steam automatically update games? It says I have version 1.000 but saw that some updates had happened, I've looked around on Steam and can't find where to update the game. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I'm on a Mac so maybe the update hasn't arrived for Mac yet? (just to clarify, I see in Settings on the game that it is searching for updates - but it's still not updated to the latest version)

In most cases, Steam automatically updates games for you. It's one of the many amazing features about it. For this game, you have to manually update, but thats as easy as logging in to be honest.

If you restart the game right now, once you're at the menu screen, on the left hand side the top button should say "One new update found" clicking that will give you a very simple update process which should only take around a minute or two. When I say "Manually" I really mean "Automatically with about three clicks".

Also if you have any problems LAN'ing just let me know. I'll be more than willing to attempt to help out.

P.S, feel free to add me on steam-friends -> Chaoschamp5000 I can help you out there as well :)

Offline timtim

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 07:08:53 am »
Added!

And weird, doesn't say there's an update - although I 'think' it isn't connected, as when the game loads up a status bar says 'Resolving host timed out'.

Offline Havocprime

• Beard Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 07:24:31 am »
Thats odd, my updating process went very smoothly and I was able to just hit a button on the main menu.
Also if I dont answer your friend request until tomorrow, I'm not ignoring you. I'm just laying in bed on my laptop which does not have Steam right now haha.

Offline timtim

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 07:50:47 am »
Odd. Maybe my network number or port is incorrect. I'm definitely online though (as I'm posting this message!).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk