Author Topic: Noticable Lag when moving  (Read 4549 times)

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
Noticable Lag when moving
« on: February 22, 2013, 06:35:24 pm »
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but when I'm moving around in the platforming section, the screen stutters and lags like the CPU is being overworked during that part. It only happens in the bigger areas and its only just screen stuttering, the character moves fine, the CPU isn't working hard and the FPS-monitor says its running at 59-60fps during the entire time. Any way to fix this?
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Noticable Lag when moving
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 08:30:51 pm »
In Valley 2?  That would be the first I've heard of that.

It sounds like perhaps Vsync isn't on, though, which would be odd -- it defaults to on.  Usually that causes screen tearing rather than stuttering, though.  Maybe if it is on you might try turning it off temporarily; perhaps it's having trouble matching your refresh rate or something.  That's all I can think of offhand, anyhow.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 09:10:45 pm »
I get that exact same stuttering in large areas that have "complicated" backgrounds. Turning off V-Sync is what fixes it for me. My frame rate jumps to 2-4 hundred and I have never actually noticed the tearing. The stuttering with it on, however, was annoying.

I always assumed it was something to do with my setup.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 09:34:20 pm »
Hmm, that is really odd. Do you have an 80hz display perhaps? That might mess with vsync.  And with 200+ fps the tearing is highly unlikely to see, too, so that works out anyhow.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 10:35:23 pm »
For whatever reason, the in-game setting for FPS sticks to either 61 or 59. It will not stay on 60. V-Sync is on and if it isn't on, well, the screen tears horribly and I can't ignore it. When the stuttering does happen, it goes down to 59.3 FPS give or take .5.
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 02:23:20 am »
This is just a guess, but the FPS display appears to be "trying its best" to be accurate, and gives you an average. So, with V-sync, it is either 60 FPS or, sometimes, 30 FPS. The average over the past however-many frames gives you 59.x (or, probably with a rounding error, 60+).

Personally, I have a 10 year old Apple Cinema Display. It's only 60 hz.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 07:36:18 am »
The fps display is not accurate, yeah -- it's subject to the inaccuracies of system.datetime.now in mono, which can be off by a few tens of ms per frame depending.

If not having vsync on fixes the stuttering, then that's definitely the cause. But it's all a black box as far as I'm concerned under that -- we tell unity 3d to "use vsync!" And that's th extent of what we can do with that. If its not monitor refresh being off, I'd have to guess either some sort of external double or triple buffering solution causing oddities, or else some sort of graphics card driver issue. It's rare for me to ask this, but are you on the latest version of your graphics drivers?

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 09:37:36 am »
Yes, my drivers are up to date.

I forgot one more important thing: for me at least, this only happens when in windowed mode. Full Screen fixes the stutter completely, and I can leave v-sync enabled.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 12:36:14 pm »
Huh, that's really odd. I play pretty well exclusively in windowed mode with vsync on. I'm using an nvidia 8800gts with 2+ year old drivers (the 180.something build, which is rock solid before they went through a buggy few months and I stopped updating). What's your card, just so I know?

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 12:39:30 pm »
I'm running on an EVGA GTX 660 Superclocked+. Drivers were updated just the other day. Full-screen doesn't fix my problem, since I run all my games in full-screen.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 01:23:57 pm »
I'm not sure what to suggest, then. Though you might have some good luck with d3d overrider. Unity 3d does not support double or triple buffering natively, but you could enable that with d3d overrider. Among other more global tweaks. Something is different in that level of settings on your machine I think, and I think that's the main way to solve it. I don't know what specific combination of settings would resolve it, though, as I've never encountered this specific issue.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 01:32:19 pm »
I've heard of some games having issues with the 310+ series of Nvidia drivers.

Have you tried a 300 series driver?
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 02:41:56 pm »
I turned on triple buffering and V-sync in the 3D settings on the Nvidia panel and that seems to have made it go away. So, success. :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 02:43:57 pm »
Yay!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 02:47:42 pm »
I turned on triple buffering and V-sync in the 3D settings on the Nvidia panel and that seems to have made it go away. So, success. :)
Remember: it could always be worse.  You didn't have to resort to ponies.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk