Author Topic: Settings and character lost after power loss  (Read 1592 times)

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
Settings and character lost after power loss
« on: February 23, 2013, 01:20:48 pm »
I had an unfortunate power outage while playing AVWW2.  When I got it back up and running, it was asking for my keycode again.  With a heavy sense of dread, I entered my key and it accepted it.  When I loaded the world, it warned me about the lock, which I then removed.  When the world loaded up, it said I had never played it before, and to create a profile, which I did, using the same name as before.  All my progress exists as it did before, but I can't find my character.  All of my controller settings and such are reset to defaults as well.

It there a lock file on the character somewhere, or am I totally screwed?

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Settings and character lost after power loss
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 01:39:48 pm »
The character is part of the world file; if you've been backing up, I suggest using the most recent backup.

Regarding the settings, it has a settings.bak file that it writes to whenever you save your main settings, just in case. You could have deleted settings.dat and renamed settings.bak to settings.dat and it would have had all your old stuff. But now that's probably been overwritten.

In the case of the world file I'm really surprised that it loaded at all if it couldn't find your character. In that instance probably your world file is fine, but you used a different license key or profile name from before; your character is tied to your license key and your profile name.

If you are on steam, you might have used the valley 2 key it gave you, whereas in the past you might have used your old valley 1 key (both work). Or it might just be the profile name thing.

Anyway, my guess is that your world is fine and your character is there, but that your settings don't quite match what they used to be in eithe profile name or license key.

Hope that helps!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 02:18:20 pm »
I am on steam, and I used my Valley 1 beta key, which is the same one I used during the Valley 2 beta.  I also used the same profile name as I had before, I'd be willing to bet.

No backups have been made of the world file.  I think I'm going to start now, though.

Anyway, I guess as long as the world is the same, it's not a big deal.  Reconfiguring my controls will be the worst of it. 

Thanks for answering so quickly!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 02:20:28 pm »
I think there's some mechanism in there for picking up a character from a different profile if you load the world in single-player, but if it's not a big deal to you don't worry about it :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 02:31:13 pm »
I think I like my new character better.  :P  I would like to know how, though.

Also, I just noticed that my achievements have reset.  They appear to be ok on steam, but is there a way to sync the local copy?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 02:41:36 pm »
It only syncs from local to steam, not the other way around since that could cause cheats. Those were in the settings file that got lost.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 02:50:01 pm »
Well, I guess the achievements will even out over time.  No big deal.

EDIT: While messing with the Previous File Version feature in Windows, I managed to get a setting.dat from a couple days ago.  When I swap it in, I have my old character back!  Comparing the two files shows that the product key section is different.  I really don't know where else I could have gotten a code.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:05:33 pm by mrhanman »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 08:13:03 pm »
Sweet! Glad you got that back. For he product key, I bet you used your valley 2 key from steam instead of valley 1 one. No big thing, since you got the file back. I forgot windows had that feature!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk