Author Topic: No tier 4 mage class  (Read 4809 times)

Offline Pattoe

• Newbie Mark II
No tier 4 mage class
« on: February 22, 2013, 05:47:36 pm »
Hey guys.

I reached level 9, which is when the tower will allow me to go to the next stage, so I went there and sure it let me past, I battled the boss, killed it... went to go get my tier 4 mage spells... nothing... just got sent back to the atrium eventually... I went through it 4 or 5 times and same result every time.

Weird thing happened too, when i fought the boss I made her run away, then when i ran to find her i went to the next room as she didn't show up anywhere in the current room, couldn't find her so I went back into her room and she magically reappeared, but still had the damage from when i had fought her last.

Have I ran into a bug, and if so, can it be remedied? Would suck to have to restart my game because of that, was really getting into it after 6 hours.

Great game, by the way Arcen, really loving the keyboard only controls. Makes the positional spells much more satisfying to use effectively.

Thanks for reading!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: No tier 4 mage class
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 05:56:01 pm »
In terms of the boss, by the time you reach her room you're going to the left at that point -- the path has doubled back on itself.  So make sure and keep going to the left, and you'll be able to finish her off and get to the tier 4 mage classes.  When you exit the room as it is, it sounds like you're going to the right and then going all the way back through rooms you had already been in, which is why you wind back up at the atrium.

Hope that helps!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pattoe

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 06:04:01 pm »
I know what you're saying but I am going left. I defeat her and then I go to the left and end up in a big downward room with levels of destroyable blocks (Kind of like the old AVWW boss rooms) and at the bottom there's a pit of water which i needed the water dash ability to get past, then I got to a room with big holes with lava at the bottom, then there's a room with shallow lava pits and then a room with a floor of spikes where you have to take the upper route to get past (or walk through the spikes), then eventually (after going left long enough) I end up on the first floor of the tower, near the ventilation shaft, but I never went through a ventilation shaft to get there.
I'm wondering if by leaving the boss room without killing the boss I somehow managed to skip the spawning of the alter thing that gives me the higher tier of spells.

Would it help if I were to send you my save files (or world?) so you can check out what happened?

I did check my mage spells list to see if I had unlocked the next tier and didn't realise it but I didn't find it there either.

Thanks for the fast reply x4000, you've given me the same awesome support in the past and it's what makes Arcen my favourite developer (2nd being CdProjekt Red)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 06:06:07 pm »
There's definitely no way to miss the room if you get to it, and the boss kill doesn't affect the spawning.  However, you can't leave the room the boss is in in the correct direction if she's still alive, so you must be going out the wrong door one way or the other.  I would think.  One way or another, there's a wrong turn being taken there somewhere.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pattoe

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 06:14:21 pm »
Weird. I even tried taking several different paths through each room (as some have lower and upper paths) and I never spotted anything substantial on the other paths, no other doorways to go through, from my experience there's always just one door on the right, one door on the left (Or bottom/top for the tall rooms) and a ventilation shaft which will either move you back to the atrium or to the furthest shaft you've discovered if it's the atrium shaft. Could there be 2 doors on the left and I'm choosing the wrong one?

Feels like something weird is happening since the tier 2 and tier 3 alters were easy to find, I didn't have to explore any more than usual, just go from right to left and I happened upon them.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 06:17:06 pm »
Generally speaking there is just one door on the left and right, yeah.  Though I think if there was a more general problem someone else would have mentioned it, to be honest.  You can upload it and we'll see if Josh has time to look at it; right now I'm pretty tapped out on time.

Offline Pattoe

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 06:25:19 pm »
I can definitely understand you're busy! :)

I'll try to upload my world.

I was looking for others who had the problem too. I'd rather it be my stupidity than a bug to be honest.

I'll look back through it too, maybe one of the doors has a ventilation shaft behind it which I'm using instead of the door?

When should the tier up be, by the way, is it usually in the room after the boss?

Thanks for your help man :)

(World is attached, I believe)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 06:27:06 pm by Pattoe »

Offline Pattoe

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 06:37:01 pm »
Aha! I found the skill! I had to go down from the ventilation shaft which it was taking me to, then it took me into a maze like room (which I'd never seen before), and then I had to go right, into an outside room, back inside through a right hand door again, fight another boss, go right again and then the tier 4 was there... Very odd having to fight a boss then go backwards and fight another boss to get the tier 4... is that normal?

Also, originally when I was going left after killed the first boss, I'd never seen any of those rooms before... seems like there was a whole new section of the tower created which just went back to the start which wasn't the original path i'd taken.

Thanks for your help x4000

Don't know what could cause what happened to me though, does it sound normal to you at all? (The world save from my last post was before I'd found my tier 4 skills but after i'd killed the first boss)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 08:33:56 pm »
Oh, sorry!  Yeah, the ventilation shafts always lead you back to the entrance, and then lead you back to the farthest part of the keep you've been to -- it's a fast-travel system, basically.  Glad you figured it out!

Regarding the boss room... that is odd indeed, I'm not sure what would cause that.  I'll have Josh take a look at it and we'll see what we can see.

Thanks!

Offline Pattoe

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 10:07:10 am »
I knew all about the quick travel mechanic for when I went for my tier 3 spells, but this time I had to travel backwards from the ventilation shaft, which was counter-intuitive...

Basically the first time I went throught he ventilation shaft I continued going up the tower and met a boss, killed her, continued going from right to left as to not backtrack, and there was no treasure room, after going that way a few times to make sure I didn't miss anything... I decided to travel down the tower from the ventilation shaft (from where I'd came) but instead of entering a room I'd already been, which is what I had expected, I entered a completely new chain of rooms which led me to another boss and finally the tier 4 spells.

I can do some pretty silly things, as all of us can, but this time I do think something very odd happened as I had to fight 2 bosses and one of the paths led back to the start of the tower (Even though I never used a vent shaft to get back, just normal doors, and it wasn't the way I'd come).

But saying all that, I don't think this is a problem with the game itself as I'm the only person who has mentioned the issue... Probably just some weird things happening within my computer which may have led to the world creation going a bit screwy. Probably not worth you guys investing much time into investigating unless you start getting a lot more people experiencing similar problems.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 12:37:43 pm »
Cheers -- I really appreciate all the extra info, and we'll indeed probably sit on this one until we get a second case.

Offline Oralordos

• Sr. Member Mark III
  • Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 01:46:00 pm »
I know normally one of the paths for the overlords keep between bosses has you going down in one of the vertical shafts instead of up. I usually tried to keep it in mind when I needed to do that one so that I did not go the wrong way.

Offline Pattoe

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 05:49:46 pm »
I know it's important to include a lot of information when talking about stuff like this since even what seems like it's completely unconnected could be affecting the issue.

The reason I want to help you guys is because you're a great developer. You're honest and very consumer friendly so I respect you a lot. Your development philosophy, when it comes to both developing a game and also providing customer service is definitely something that should be encouraged.

Although I do try to not become a "fanboy" who would completely overlook a problem because I'm fond of you. I've not really realised anything buggy or weird with AVWW2 except for in this post, though, which is awesome.

Although, a borderless windowed option would be awesome so I could play in full screen but be able to tab out to my second monitor without it all minimising.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 06:02:10 pm »
Although, a borderless windowed option would be awesome so I could play in full screen but be able to tab out to my second monitor without it all minimising.
Yea, we'd love borderless-windowed as an option too, but the Unity engine doesn't support it.  We hope it will one day!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pattoe

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 07:16:55 pm »
Yea, we'd love borderless-windowed as an option too, but the Unity engine doesn't support it.  We hope it will one day!

Oh! That's why! I always wonder why some games offer it as an option and others don't.

Just did a quick search and apparently borderless support for the unity engine came with version 3.4, but that was quite a while ago, it could have been removed since then or you could simply be using a different version?

(Actually managed to find a post from x4000 on one forum when I was searching for answers to the borderless issue, I guess great minds think alike :P )

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk