Author Topic: HELP! black screen bugs  (Read 7007 times)

Offline littlepudintater

• Newbie Mark III
Re: HELP! black screen bugs
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 09:50:53 am »
can i send you a copy of my a valley without wind folder and you can tell me whats wrong with it?

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 09:52:21 am »
Did you try verifying the steam cache?

Also you'll want to look for other programs that would interfere with the game, such as:

1. Other antivirus software (somtimes people have more than one and don't know it).
2. Antispyware software (some of it gets overzealous for a bit, despite the fact we are not spying on you).
3. Software that messes with Direct3D applications in general, such as inserting extra HUD elements into it.  Steam itself does this, but works great with the game.  Some others may be coded in such a way that they do not work as well.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 09:53:31 am »
can i send you a copy of my a valley without wind folder and you can tell me whats wrong with it?

That's going to be 300mb+, and if verifying from the steam cache reports success then nothing is wrong with your install.  If verifying the steam cache works, then the problem is purely with either drivers (unlikely given your desktop resolution, etc) or with some other program as I noted in my post right above.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline littlepudintater

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 09:54:22 am »
yeah i werified integrity and shut off norton and it still says game init(4,5,6,or7 then the date)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 09:56:34 am »
Then it's pretty much down to drivers or this:

Also you'll want to look for other programs that would interfere with the game, such as:

1. Other antivirus software (somtimes people have more than one and don't know it).
2. Antispyware software (some of it gets overzealous for a bit, despite the fact we are not spying on you).
3. Software that messes with Direct3D applications in general, such as inserting extra HUD elements into it.  Steam itself does this, but works great with the game.  Some others may be coded in such a way that they do not work as well.

Offline littlepudintater

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 09:58:38 am »
so what do you recommend i do

Offline littlepudintater

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 09:59:53 am »
my resolution is at 1266 x 768 would that have an affect on anything?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 10:01:44 am »
so what do you recommend i do

You know what you have installed, and I don't.  I suggest that you look at your installed programs and see if anything seems suspicious along the lines of what I mentioned.  If one of them does, then try disabling them temporarily.

I recommend going to nvidia.com and getting the latest drivers for your graphics card.

my resolution is at 1266 x 768 would that have an affect on anything?

I'm not sure -- maybe.  That's not really a standard resolution, so quite possibly that would cause problems.  I didn't code the unity 3D engine so I can't say for sure, but that's certainly a resolution I've never heard of before, so that could be related.

Offline littlepudintater

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 10:02:51 am »
i will try changing my resolution then updating my drivers

Offline littlepudintater

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 10:07:12 am »
oh also whats the standard resolution to play the game?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 10:11:08 am »
oh also whats the standard resolution to play the game?

Anything you like that's a standard monitor resolution.  1280x900, 1280x1024, 1920x1280, 1024x768, and so on.  There are dozens that work.

Offline littlepudintater

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 10:14:45 am »
I've changed the resolutions and my only driver that's update-able is a wireless network driver and i still get the same error when i try to launch avww

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 10:19:27 am »
So, again:

Offline littlepudintater

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 10:21:39 am »
iv tried all of that and it doesn't work

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 10:27:26 am »
I'm pretty much out of ideas, then -- I'm not sure what to tell you.  Something on your machine is likely messed up or interfering with it, but I don't have any idea what.  If you're worried it might be the Steam install simply not downloading correctly, you can download the demo directly from our site and see if that runs.  If so, you can use the CD Key from Steam to unlock the full version from that demo and play outside of Steam.

The engine used for AVWW is the same one we use for AI War and Tidalis at this point in the loading process, and so there's well over 200k copies out there and this is the first such issue I've ever heard of where it wasn't some sort of antivirus or similar.  I'm not really sure what to tell you beyond that.

Well, that isn't true -- there was one other case where someone was having huge amounts of trouble with this game and they couldn't get it to work.  They were running the game in windows on a Mac running bootcamp.  Apparently that wasn't working out very well due to some issue with bootcamp.  Simply switching back over to OSX on that machine and running the native OSX version of the game rather than running the windows copy in a virtualized environment would be the fix there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk