Author Topic: Controller aiming cursor snapback  (Read 1724 times)

Offline gamerchick

Controller aiming cursor snapback
« on: July 22, 2012, 01:58:58 am »
I just started this game using a Logitech double stick controller, mapped it, and away I go. The problem I'm having is that when I aim using the secondary stick, the aiming cursor snaps back over my character as soon as I release it instead of staying where I pointed it. This makes it impossible to use any of the other gamepad buttons besides the triggers/bumpers while I am aiming due to having to keep my right thumb on the stick0, making the game unplayable

I looked around for a persistent aiming or other similar setting in the menu, messed around with the "axis noise cancellation" settings, and triple checked my maps to make sure that nothing is accidentally double mapped or anything like that, but nothing I did works. I tested my controller using other games and a testing program to make sure it's not the sticks themselves, and they are fine and work as they should.

So it seems like it's in the game. Is there any way to fix this?

EDIT: Another strange thing I just noticed is that when I go to map a stick axis it automatically goes to Gamepad Axis 3 (neg), as if it is reading me pointing it in that direction even though its centered. No other game has this problem, and the gamepad test I ran (again) shows that everything checks out and that the stick is where it should be when centered.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 02:07:38 am by gamerchick »

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Controller aiming cursor snapback
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 04:44:43 pm »
Sorry for the delay, I thought someone else might respond: the snap-back is a design feature but when Chris gets back next week we'll ask about the possibility of making what you're asking for possible (or if it already is) :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline gamerchick

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 09:03:43 pm »
Thanks for your reply. I really would like it if there was a persistent aiming option or something similar, as the snapback makes it impossible to actively aim using the right stick and use the four face buttons at the same time. It also makes it difficult to aim at anything anyway as the cursor constantly goes back over your character.

I also have a minor physical disability that makes it so I have to use a controller for video games, so switching to the keyboard and mouse setup is out for me. I'm looking forward to hearing the reply, and will be back to check in about a week. This game looks great and I really want to be able to get into it without getting annoyed and constantly having to move all my skills around so they are on the trigger/bumper buttons.

BTW, fixed the weird mapping thing I mentioned by unplugging my controller, replugging it than starting the game again. Dont know what the cause was, might have been how the game was reading the controller positions. Unfortunately, it didn't "cure" the snapback as I was hoping it would.

At least now I know the snapback is a part of the game and can quit screwing around with the menu options, mapping options, and my controller's drivers and options, which is what I had been doing.

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 11:19:19 pm »
Gamerchick, you may want to get familiar with glovepie for remapping.

https://sites.google.com/site/carlkenner/glovepie

You will note that remapping controllers is supported, and you may have some finger relief for things like auto shots, complex combinations (like fighting games require), and even implementing the feature you requested. I'm not suggesting that everyone wants to do feature design, but it looks like you need convenience, and you may get some mileage out of this.

I don't have your limitations, and I use this myself quite a bit for remapping and games that require 100 buttons to do anything, like magicka. Good luck.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk