Author Topic: Buggy-frozen screen at start  (Read 6651 times)

Offline Just Vic

Buggy-frozen screen at start
« on: June 12, 2013, 08:40:02 pm »
Just recently installed this game through Steam due to a lot of good recommendations, however when starting the game ets frozen and the screen instead of fonts is just a bunch of squares (think, like the secret bug levels in Supr Meat Boy). Tried reinstalling a few times but there is still no change. On an interesting note whenever I check on "Verify Integrity of game cache" it always says 1 file could not be retrieved and needs to download again, however there is still no change. Thanks in advance for any tips you might have

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Buggy-frozen screen at start
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 08:42:27 pm »
Hmmm, that's very odd indeed, have never heard of that particular issue before.  We do have installers directly on our website, and if Steam isn't downloading for you then you might want to use our installer and install into the Steam folder.  That's ludicrous of course, but if it refuses to download one file that may be causing the issues.

Which game are you referring to (Valley 1 or 2), by the way, and on which OS?

Hope that helps!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Just Vic

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 08:47:58 pm »
First of all thanks for the quick reply, never happened so fast : )

It´s the first game, and I actually took a screenshot of the screen
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Vlcrst/screenshot/613894907981358199
The weird thing is that the music works normally and can even enter the menu overlay with shift + tab

It´s running on windows 7 64 bit version

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 08:57:49 pm »
Glad to be of service. :)

Looking at the screenshot... Hmmm... that is super super odd.  You are essentially seeing the main menu with no problems in terms of aspect ratio or content or whatever.  It's all right there, down to the actual font itself.  What's crazy is that every last piece of content there is either blurry or turned into a strange box instead of actually showing the full content of it.  But it's using the right textures, mostly, just scaled or stretched way oddly within the textured quad that it is drawing correctly.

In other words, it's bascially drawing correctly and loading correctly except that the textures themselves are not aligning remotely correctly on the geometry that *is* there properly.  I've definitely never heard of such a thing.   Hrm.  You might give the version off our site a go, and then put it over the Steam version if it turns out the Steam version just is missing something on your machine somehow.

Beyond that, I'd be looking at the graphics card drivers.  ATI or nVidia?  We periodically get reports of wonky ATI drivers doing things, but never this bad.  Generally either updating or reverting to a stable version of their drivers tends to fix the issue.  nVidia hasn't had any issues that I'm aware of for a while (that affects our games at least).
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Just Vic

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 09:02:32 pm »
Funnily enough I did a full windows reinstall today and checked all the drivers before reinstalling my game library, but who knows. I´ll try the version on the site since it´s very weird that no matter how many times I download it, verifyng the files still gives me the "1 file missing" message

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 09:04:07 pm »
Yeah, I really don't know what to make of that either.  Very strange. :/

Offline Oralordos

• Sr. Member Mark III
  • Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 09:25:32 pm »
I am suddenly wondering if ponies would help.  ;D

Otherwise, that certainly looks like a driver issue of some sort. The constantly unverified file has a chance of being your settings file, where the encrypted cd key is stored.

Edit: Nevermind, they screenshot shows that you are in trial mode. It still could be the settings file though from it configuring to your screen's resolution.

Offline Just Vic

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 11:17:51 am »
I had a similar situation when playing Trine and on Oralordos suggestion I went and checked the video drivers again and tried using an older one and viola! It works now regardless of version. Guess this sort of stuff is what happens when you use an integrated card.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 11:29:39 am »
Well, glad that did it!  That's super strange, but yeah -- drivers get bugs all the time.  Not usually THAT bad, but still.  Usually a future version comes out that fixes this sort of issue... but then you never know what else they might break.  I'm still on some fairly older nVidia drivers for mine because they work and I don't want to faff around with their later bugs, heh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk