Author Topic: Server: Wandering Nomads (Closed for now)  (Read 40903 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
  • If you're not drunk you're doing it wrong.
Re: Server: Wandering Nomads
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 01:41:00 pm »
Thanks for the log :)  I just started at the first 4/17/2012 entry.
I've manually started to archive the logs as new versions come out to make life easier on both of us.
Anyway, looks pretty clean, if that null one was indeed just a legacy of whatever grue ate Chomper and Hyrf a couple versions back.

My pleasure.  I'll try to keep an eye on it.  Looks like Chomper's leading the cause of group smackdowns on the server.  My work-life has gone bat-shit crazy so I can only do so much at the moment.
... and then we'll have cake.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 01:53:35 pm »
My pleasure.  I'll try to keep an eye on it.  Looks like Chomper's leading the cause of group smackdowns on the server.  My work-life has gone bat-shit crazy so I can only do so much at the moment.
Yea, that happened to me periodically when I had a "normal" programming job too (MSSQL, as you probably recall; with web stuff on top).  I'm fairly sure that the laws of physics are not generally applicable in such employment: the fecal matter simply could not have gone from at-rest to hitting-the-fan in that timeframe at merely the speed of light.

Thanks for your efforts, I hope things calm down :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 01:59:00 pm »
Yea, that happened to me periodically when I had a "normal" programming job too (MSSQL, as you probably recall; with web stuff on top).  I'm fairly sure that the laws of physics are not generally applicable in such employment: the fecal matter simply could not have gone from at-rest to hitting-the-fan in that timeframe at merely the speed of light.

Thanks for your efforts, I hope things calm down :)

Actually the lovely part is I just got off a major project and was due some 'catch-up' downtime and the guy who was handling a lot of this managed to get himself in a cycle wreck and is in for hand surgery today.  I can't say much, I ride too, but between that and training the new guy we just brought on-staff.... YARGH.  All of this stuff was in flight... just wasn't supposed to be on my fan!   >:(

So, yeah.  Alright, rant over.  Fixes for the MP stuff that wasn't moving looks good by the way, I got a little time last night to goof off and then promptly fell over.  I haven't seen any kabooms in the .931 load, just connecting/connected reports.  You might want to get a little more data in those like WHO was connecting/connected and the like, and disconnects as well, just for sanity's sake, but that can wait.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 02:12:13 pm »
You might want to get a little more data in those like WHO was connecting/connected and the like, and disconnects as well, just for sanity's sake, but that can wait.
It actually doesn't even know at that point, that's literally just the establishment of the connection :)  We don't get to send app-specific data until the followup messages.  I used to log the actual logins; I could do that again if you like.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 02:15:02 pm »
You might want to get a little more data in those like WHO was connecting/connected and the like, and disconnects as well, just for sanity's sake, but that can wait.
It actually doesn't even know at that point, that's literally just the establishment of the connection :)  We don't get to send app-specific data until the followup messages.  I used to log the actual logins; I could do that again if you like.

Actually, yeah if you wouldn't mind that would be nice.  If you're going to run a server you'd like to be able to know who dropped by.

As an idea for 1.0+, some kind of server-manager event log showing major events would be nice too.  Unlocks, LT/Overlord kills, missions completed ( and by whom), that kind of thing.

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 02:57:41 pm »
Server Update: Technozoologist and Forgician located and recovered on Continent 1.  All currently available guardian spells are opened.

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 07:32:18 pm »
Anyone on from around 3:00 - 4:30 PM (PST) today, please let me know if you hit MASSIVE lagstorms.

My hardware maintenance kicked in and I didn't notice, as I was VPN'd to the office and was hammering away at code all day.  The only reason I noticed was when it finally got around to the sound drivers and started mucking with my Media Player.  I'd like to know if it affected the server in any way, or if it was lightweight enough that it just skipped on past.

Edit: Simply because I feel like venting for a moment and this is a nice quiet corner of my universe:

PM "Are we in QA yet?"
Me: "Are we dev complete on the request?"
"No"
"Then no, we're not in QA yet."
"Why aren't we in QA?"

FACEPALM.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:36:39 pm by Wanderer »

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 08:02:09 pm »
Edit: Simply because I feel like venting for a moment and this is a nice quiet corner of my universe:

PM "Are we in QA yet?"
Me: "Are we dev complete on the request?"
"No"
"Then no, we're not in QA yet."
"Why aren't we in QA?"

FACEPALM.
We're sorry for the inconvenience, but the "Modus Ponens" feature is not included in this version of Windows, please upgrade to Business or Professional.

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 09:29:18 pm »
Lieutenants are dead, hunting the overlord.

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 01:02:04 am »
Alright folks, a few of us have been banging away trying to get at the Shallows in the Northwest before we pop the next continent open.  That said, we can't seem to get rid of the rain.

If you get some time, please collect buoys so we can surround the sucker and MAKE it stop raining in there so we can do a deep sea cavern dive.  Thanks. :)

Also, please note... if you go overlord hunting, be prepared for a short range NASTY fight.  I've cleared the monster generators in there (trust me, you didn't want to fight never-ending icebats in there) but he dominates the room, completely.  Be prepared for it.  There's hidey holes but the living flames will find you in those.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 10:26:17 am »
Alright folks, a few of us have been banging away trying to get at the Shallows in the Northwest before we pop the next continent open.  That said, we can't seem to get rid of the rain.

If you get some time, please collect buoys so we can surround the sucker and MAKE it stop raining in there so we can do a deep sea cavern dive.  Thanks. :)
Do you have a buoy adjacent to the target region? That should be sufficient.

I've cleared the monster generators in there
Iirc, if the chunk drops to disk and you come back (and it's still a boss room) it will respawn up to the normal target number of spawners (not in the same places, I imagine) ;)

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 04:57:26 am »

Do you have a buoy adjacent to the target region? That should be sufficient.
Yeah... no.  It's got 4? adjacent, still no joy.

Wandering Nomads server is at .970.  I'm basically AWOL for the weekend, luck folks.  UFC + cute girl = Screw online. :)  Smack an overlord for me. :)

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 05:01:57 am »
I wanted to comment...

Chomper: Dude, nothing personal, but a server for 2 people is overkill, no matter how much I enjoy playing with you...

If you want this server to stay 'live' after launch, I'd like to hear from you.  I set this server up as a Beta test primarily because of my personal interaction with Keith and I wanted to return a bit of the respect I've felt I've gotten from him. 

I'm more than happy to keep a 'Live' Server up for everyone, but I don't want to upkeep it unless people actually WANT it.  You want Nomads to stay up, please, post.  Otherwise I'll drop it after final release and let the world take up where I left off.

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 02:02:48 pm »
Upgraded to 0.971.

Offline Hyfrydle

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 02:11:19 pm »
Keep it up and let's have an online release party to celebrate. Hopefully if the servers are up and new people spot it and see this thread we can help people learn the game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk