Author Topic: Question regarding art process  (Read 6021 times)

Offline 7foot_sativa

• Newbie Mark II
Question regarding art process
« on: May 16, 2012, 02:20:05 pm »
Could one of the devs explain how you made your in game art? Such as characters, monsters and environment.

I'd like to try and imitate it if I were to make a mod, that way it wouldn't look out of place.

What better way to imitate something than knowing how it was done?

It would be awesome if you could explain it step by step like a guide, but that's probably asking too much.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Question regarding art process
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 02:35:46 pm »
This is old and outdated, but has many of the basics: http://christophermpark.blogspot.com/2011/02/art-pipeline-for-valley-without-wind.html

Now the general process is:

----Sources-----
- Mostly stock art still, although some original models by Phil Chabot or myself.
- Sources for stock art are cornucopia3d.com, daz3d.com, and turbosquid.com
- The various tiling backgrounds are from a variety of sources, mostly Genetic 3.5 or Filter Forge 3.

----Rendering/Rigging/Lighting/Etc-----
- All non-character/monster stuff are rendered in a specific Vue scene with lights set up a certain way.  I can legally share that and don't mind doing so; but you'd have to have some form of Vue to use it.
- All of the characters/monsters are rendered and animated in DAZ 3D.
- All of the particle effect pieces are done in Particle Illusion.

----Post-Processing-----
- This is all done via a variety of Photoshop filters.
- Most of them are still the Topaz Labs ones with specific custom settings.
- However, there are also a variety of other Actions that I custom made for various types of soft focus and character outline masks, etc.
- It's a few dozen Actions in all, which I'm happy to share, but to make any use of those requires Photoshop pro and in many cases also Topaz Simplify or Topaz Clean.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk