Author Topic: Question about Character modding  (Read 13400 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Question about Character modding
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 11:29:50 am »
I remember you saying at one point that altering the size of textures is a bad idea since it would cause distortion. Does this prohibition still hold if you, say, exactly double the original dimensions?

If you alter the size of characters specifically, it won't cause distortion -- it will just use the original dimensions from within there for the frames.  So you'll get stuff chopped up and blipping around as part of frames, is what I meant.

For background textures that are tiled, you can size those however you want with no problems as long as they are a power of two.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nanostrike

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 09:52:00 pm »
So...  PNG Renamer is very helpful.

But hilariously, I've managed to crash PNG Renamer at least 20 or 30 times.  It really doesn't like it if you have two different numbering schemes (Accidentally) going on in the same folder.  It had a grade A freakout when it saw that I had both 'Walking_01" and "Walking_001" in the same folder.

Likewise, if the names are switched, even if the numbers are continued, it freaks out. 'Walking 1 to 14', followed by a typo'd "Walkiing 15-18" makes it crash.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 09:57:17 pm »
Yep, it's something I made for my own personal use, not really for public consumption.  However, since some folks wanted it I made it publicly available -- no warranty express or implied in it, though. ;)  It's not something I care to support as a product, but since it's useful I made the source code available for anyone to take and do with what they will.

PNGRenamer was basically just my repository for "quick things I can code up to let me work around stuff Photoshop won't let me do."
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nanostrike

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 10:48:34 pm »
Yep, it's something I made for my own personal use, not really for public consumption.  However, since some folks wanted it I made it publicly available -- no warranty express or implied in it, though. ;)  It's not something I care to support as a product, but since it's useful I made the source code available for anyone to take and do with what they will.

PNGRenamer was basically just my repository for "quick things I can code up to let me work around stuff Photoshop won't let me do."

It's an awesome program and I'm not saying it's not good.  I just thought it was hilarious that I crashed it so many times.

It felt like I got a new toasted and burned a house down with it.

I particularly liked the part where my mouse button started freaking out when I clicked "Duplicate", and I ended up with somewhere around 400 frames before I got the button working right.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 10:50:56 pm »
 ;D

Offline nanostrike

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 03:00:07 am »
Also, I just wanna say to be careful using the "Duplicate Frames" for walking animations.  For the longest time, I thought it was just copying the frames.  But it actually reverses them, which causes some downright bizarre walking animations.

Watching Zero take 3 steps forward, then moonwalk 3 steps, then 3 more steps forward...it's really trippy, but not exactly what I was going for!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk