Author Topic: Remaining Parts of the Strategic Game  (Read 8728 times)

Offline Bluddy

• Sr. Member Mark III
Remaining Parts of the Strategic Game
« on: February 09, 2012, 12:13:30 pm »
I'm really happy with... just about everything in AVWW really.

Getting rid of EP in favor of CP was a good move and I think shows how hard it is to nail the tone of the game. My question is, now that EP and continental destruction is gone, perhaps some strategy can still be left in the game?

My thoughts are:
- The settlement is fair game for the overlord to target. It's the rebels' outpost. I don't think it makes the game too tense (unlike the impending destruction of the continent).
- I also think it's important that attacks on the settlement NOT be visible on the world map before they arrive. This would create a mission that the player had to do which involved simply attacking rampaging monsters, and never allowing them to reach the settlement. I think from tier 3, it should be possible for the overlord to attack the settlement by sending monsters. This would be a mission that lasts several mission time turns or until the player returns to the settlement to recharge (it might be better to still allow the player to recharge by, say, just walking over the settlement, so he can choose not to take on the mission right away). If all survivors are wiped out, the settlement is lost and the player has to move on to another continent. If the mission is left alone for several mission time units, it auto-resolves randomly and your remaining settlers ask you where you were to defend them.
- There could be some missions to spy on the overlord, which would give the player knowledge of attack plans. The attacking party would then become visible on the map, at which point the player can attack them.
- A secret mission could involve stumbling into where the attacking party is. It could be underground (they travel by caves) or above ground, or they could be resting in a building. This prevents the attack on the settlement from happening and sets back the overlord.
- The overlord doesn't know where the settlement is initially. He needs to send scouts to find the settlement.
- Encountering scouts and killing them in random places will weaken the overlord and set him back.
- When a scout arrives at the settlement, another mission becomes available which is to kill the scout(s) (in a similar way to the defend settlement mission). This is a tower defense style mission that really benefits from storm rush. The scout is really buff and runs past the settlement and other chunks next to it. Your goal is to prevent all the scout from reaching the end, at which point it's assumed that the overlord has learned of the settlement's location.
- In addition, the overlord can set up visible attack camps that are too powerful to take on (too many strong monsters). The player can then have missions to try break up those camps before they invade the settlement too.

I think the general feel of missions like the ones above is that there's some danger, but all in all it's 'strategy-lite' which I think is what suits the game best: it should be pretty hard (but possible) to really lose a continent.

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
Re: Remaining Parts of the Strategic Game
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 12:14:52 pm »
This sounds like one for the brainstorming subforum, for sure. Lots of good ideas here.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 12:16:07 pm »
My question is, now that EP and continental destruction is gone, perhaps some strategy can still be left in the game?
Fairly unlikely for pre-1.0, but I'm glad you like the game that is there :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 12:36:29 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, Bluddy. :)

In terms of the things you're talking about, a lot of that matches what we'd want to do, as well.  The tricky thing, like Keith basically said, is that it takes a lot of time to really nail those sorts of mechanics.  Those are things that I'd like to see, to be sure -- and having a world that feels more alive and threatening-without-being-stressful is desirable.

Was going to write more in this thread, but then decided to just put in a stickied forum topic here: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,9800.0.html

Hopefully that fully explains where we're coming from during this next month and what we're looking to do, as well as where we hope to go after that.

TLDR: If some strategic-lite type features can be thought up that are really quick to implement and which don't impact the general balance of the rest of the game, then we might be able to squeeze those in prior to 1.0.  And certainly it's an attractive idea to me.  But if it's "bigger than a breadbox," so to speak, then it's going to have to wait until after 1.0 to be investigated.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Bluddy

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 12:50:04 pm »
No problem. This can easily be post-1.0. I think the game is solid as is, so this would just be more stuff to make it more awesome. Just wanted to get it out of my head and see people's reactions.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 12:52:58 pm »
And I'm very glad you got it down on paper, too, so to speak -- good ideas can disappear if not put down pretty quickly after occurring to someone. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Terraziel

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 01:44:09 pm »
Alright, simplistic strategic features. most of this uses things already in game so....

Personally I think the game would benefit greatly from territory control mechanics, or atleast the sensation that you are fighting with something, now given that we already have one (storms) simplicity says to abuse it.

so I see it like this. 3 new mission types

1) defending attacks on wind shelters.
2) stopping the enemy endeavouring to set up some sort of anti-windshelter, so pushing the storms out further
3) your side attacking said anti-windshelter

Now the "strategic" side of this comes in that 1 and 2 should have a timer, X missions, as in they exist for however long it takes you to perform X missions before you either lose the windshelter or the anti-windshelter is constructed. X would be determined by the difficulty level, my gut says 3 is a fair base.

only other thing to note is there should only be 2 or 3 of these at any given time (and that they should be in addition to normal missions), so you can entirely negate them if you so choose

To cover concerns of time pressure (both ways) I think "Strategic Difficulty" could control three things.

1) Mission Duration (as noted above)
2) CP cost of the missions
3) Tier the mechanic kicks in. So on normal it might only start spawning the missions at tier 4, but for an easier game you could up it to tier 5 where time is infinite, or for a harder game lower it to tier 2/3 so that you have to take notice of them sooner

And that's it (for the time being at least) . no continent destruction, no assaults on the settlement, just fighting against the wind.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk