Author Topic: Achievement Suggestions!  (Read 21947 times)

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
Achievement Suggestions!
« on: April 03, 2012, 10:10:58 pm »
In another thread, it was suggested that we add achievements to the game. This is absolutely something we want to do. If you have any suggestions about what those achievements should be, we'd love to hear them.

EDIT By Chris for clarity:

Achievement Must Be Individual-Focused
All achievements should be individual-focused.  In other words, you shouldn't be able to get an achievement just by logging onto a popular multiplayer server. 

So, for instance, building all kinds of buildings in a settlement is out -- because either a) you'd have to be present for every last building constructed, thus penalizing you if you ever stepped away from the server; or b) you'd be able to just go to any server that already had the prerequisites for this achievement and instantly get it by doing nothing.

So even something like "get to continent 5" is not a valid achievement, because you could just get to a popular server.  A better way of framing the same thing is "kill 5 overlords."  You wouldn't have to land the killing blow on each one, but you would have to be literally present at the death of each one.

Achievements Must Be Cross World
That gets at my next point, which is that these are also cross-world.  So if I kill 1 overlord in 5 worlds, that would still count.  It's not 5 overlords in one world.  If I am in and out of my own solo game and multiple MP servers, all of those should contribute to the achievements.

Achievements Must Be Solo/MP Agnostic
Some people hate MP, and some people never will touch solo because they only play co-op.  Some people play a mix of both.  No achievements will be implemented that require anyone to play alone when they'd rather play with friends, or with strangers when they'd rather play alone: so anything that is MP-specific or solo-specific is out.  Most things work in either category anyhow.

What Doesn't Work As An Achievement Might Be Great As An Unlockable
Unlockables are like the converse of achievements, in a lot of ways.  They are per-world, not cross world, and they are entirely team-focused and have nothing to do with the individual.  So having something like "build every building in a settlement" is a great unlockable but a terrible achievement.

What we're looking for in this thread is, specifically, achievements.  But we'd love to have unlockable ideas in mantis or in another thread, if you like.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 10:28:23 am by x4000 »

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
Re: Achievement Suggestions!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 10:38:32 pm »
 Doing Things the Hard Way--Kill an Overlord using only Tier 1 spells without first killing all Lieutenants.

Civil Engineer-- Have a settlement with every building.

Deforestation: Destroy 16 or some other fittingly large number of trees with one spell (does energy pulse still work this way?)

I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 11:43:52 pm »
Deforestation: Destroy 16 or some other fittingly large number of trees with one spell (does energy pulse still work this way?)

It does not, sadly. And the game has been completely unplayable* ever since.

*Note: May be hyperbole.

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 11:51:19 pm »

It does not, sadly. And the game has been completely unplayable* ever since.

*Note: May be hyperbole.

Curses! I loved doing that.

Offline Kregoth

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 12:38:15 am »
Mad scientist: Build 1 of each building type required for spell crafting.

Scouter: scout 100% of an entire region and 100% of all areas within that region

Whats behind door number 2: Enter 2 bombed out rooms.

Secret Agent Man: Discover a secret mission in each type of area. This includes caves, regions, and buildings.

Time Waster: visit every room in a large building
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 01:45:58 am by Kregoth »

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 01:16:25 am »
\
Time Waster: visit every room in a building

Should be defined as a large building since there are single-room buildings.

Landmine: Damage an enemy with a junkyard explosive barrel.
Piecing Together the Shards: Have at least one NPC from each time shard in a single settlement
 Glyph Grinder: Lose five characters to the same miniboss, Lieutenant or Overlord
The Depths Below: Reach depth (whatever level it is that lava starts showing up) in a cave system

Perfect Run: Complete a Journey to Perfection mission
Shield Wall: Complete a Supply Depot mission
Field Commander: Complete a battleground mission
Relentless: Win a Battleground mission without taking damage on your base.
Ascension: Complete a Boss Tower mission
The Rising Fire: Complete a Lava Escape mission
Ountumbered: Complete a Boss Gang mission
Ooh, Floaty! Complete a Vortex mission
Care to Lend a Hand? Complete an NPC rescue mission
might be missing a few mission types.

World Traveler: Reach the second continent on a game that started on the first.

Offline Kregoth

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 01:57:38 am »

Time Waster: visit every room in a large building

Should be defined as a large building since there are single-room buildings.

fixed :)

Squashed: Die from falling damage

Haunted: Killed by your own ghost

Lights out: Destroy all light sources in a single room

Doctor: Heal another player or friendly NPC

Better Together: Complete a mission together with another player in a multiplayer game

Alone in the dark: Killed by a shadow bat

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 08:57:01 am »
They Mostly Come Out At Night... Mostly: Kill 500 enemies at night time.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 10:28:13 am »
I edited the OP to include this info, but here are the actual guidelines for achievements:

Achievement Must Be Individual-Focused
All achievements should be individual-focused.  In other words, you shouldn't be able to get an achievement just by logging onto a popular multiplayer server. 

So, for instance, building all kinds of buildings in a settlement is out -- because either a) you'd have to be present for every last building constructed, thus penalizing you if you ever stepped away from the server; or b) you'd be able to just go to any server that already had the prerequisites for this achievement and instantly get it by doing nothing.

So even something like "get to continent 5" is not a valid achievement, because you could just get to a popular server.  A better way of framing the same thing is "kill 5 overlords."  You wouldn't have to land the killing blow on each one, but you would have to be literally present at the death of each one.

Achievements Must Be Cross World
That gets at my next point, which is that these are also cross-world.  So if I kill 1 overlord in 5 worlds, that would still count.  It's not 5 overlords in one world.  If I am in and out of my own solo game and multiple MP servers, all of those should contribute to the achievements.

Achievements Must Be Solo/MP Agnostic
Some people hate MP, and some people never will touch solo because they only play co-op.  Some people play a mix of both.  No achievements will be implemented that require anyone to play alone when they'd rather play with friends, or with strangers when they'd rather play alone: so anything that is MP-specific or solo-specific is out.  Most things work in either category anyhow.

What Doesn't Work As An Achievement Might Be Great As An Unlockable
Unlockables are like the converse of achievements, in a lot of ways.  They are per-world, not cross world, and they are entirely team-focused and have nothing to do with the individual.  So having something like "build every building in a settlement" is a great unlockable but a terrible achievement.

What we're looking for in this thread is, specifically, achievements.  But we'd love to have unlockable ideas in mantis or in another thread, if you like.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Xeph

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 05:59:36 pm »
Real Ninja - Complete a stealth assassination mission without killing any enemies other than the target.
Real Ultimate Power - Complete one of each type of stealth assassination mission without killing any enemies other than the target. (the player would need a way to track this though)
Hoarder - Have 2000 wood crates and platforms in your inventory.
Blind - Complete a cavern mission without using any light-producing enchants, items or spells.
Skill, Resilience and a Lot of Luck - Complete a Fix Anachronisms In Cave mission without taking damage.

Do you want us to suggest the obvious game progress/completion achievements, like kill an overlord, get a spell to tier 5 etc?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:13:04 pm by Xeph »

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 03:52:51 am »
Clever Girl - Get ambushed and killed by utahraptors

Offline Dizzard

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 07:01:07 pm »
How about....

Precious Cargo: Complete a "Defend Supply Depot From Meteor Storm" without a single crate being destroyed. (Not sure if this is possible, suppose it is?)

Lost at sea: Either die while in a sea region OR die in a sea node that is in the middle of the sea region (as in not the entrance node)

I'll try and think of some more interesting ones. Are there any Achievements related to the Mysteries?

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 11:01:49 pm »

I'll try and think of some more interesting ones. Are there any Achievements related to the Mysteries?

Not yet, I think we'd want to add a few more mysteries in first.

Offline Professor Paul1290

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 11:56:13 pm »
Better than Anti-Tank Dogs: Use a Pocket Rhino to destroy an Urban Crawler.

Taffer: Loot five stash rooms without being detected by an enemy.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 02:04:45 pm »
Evil achievements :D

If at first you don't succeed... - Be killed by your own vengeful ghost

Ghostbuster - Kill (X) vengeful ghosts

Glyphbearer Sematary - Fill an area with (X. 5? 10?) vengeful ghosts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk