Author Topic: Third Art Look: A model!  (Read 14877 times)

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
Re: Third Art Look: A model!
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 12:22:54 pm »
Windows? This is a warship not a pleasure cruise!
Windows are structural weaknesses. Sole utility: AI target practice.
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 02:27:06 pm »
I like to think that not everything here is a warship.  Obviously most of your ships are, but in the civilian areas that's certainly not the case.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 06:12:08 pm »
The wheels might actually look less like a motorcycle if they were gimbal-like and rotated in several directions at once.  What do you think?
So they ARE wheels?  :o

Not true; they're psychologically useful. Even if the view is "space" being able to look outside is much better than not. I like enclosed spaces and the thought is still mildly horrifying.

Also the player's mothership can't just be a warship, it's also your command center, your Combat Information Center and likely your center of government since we're ditching the planet angle. The last especially means lots of civilians.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 10:38:53 pm »
The wheels might actually look less like a motorcycle if they were gimbal-like and rotated in several directions at once.  What do you think?

Not true; they're psychologically useful. Even if the view is "space" being able to look outside is much better than not. I like enclosed spaces and the thought is still mildly horrifying.

Also the player's mothership can't just be a warship, it's also your command center, your Combat Information Center and likely your center of government since we're ditching the planet angle. The last especially means lots of civilians.

I feel like this situation would be great if a new player ever asked why command station are so difference.

"Imagine this: The issue of windows. They are pretty. They are a huge boost to quality of life. People love them. They also make a ship weak. But people need them to be happy. So...does your command station have windows?"
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 12:39:32 am »
Well, are virtual windows a possibility? Grab the view from outside the ship and throw it on the wall. Have windows and also armor!

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2016, 01:23:07 am »

To indulge the analogy further I will indulge in some mildly personal detail. Kudos to Chris for always being open to things like this so I feel comfortable in sharing as well  ;)

I am the son of a navy shipman. I would be in the Navy if not for medical complications.

I have been in many a military ship. They do not have windows. That makes me safe, not alarmed actually. I have seen many a naval bunk. They are not comfortable. But they are safe. Knowing there is several feet of metal between I and the outside world is a comfort, not a terror.

Which makes this comparison of military vs civilian a very valid one. I feel more safe knowing there are no windows. Knowing I am part of a network which I am isolated as a necessity. Everyone does their job, to the letter, and trusts at their core that others do as well. It is a very core instinct that other diverge from, and I have no issues with others who differ in any way. The point is, those philosophies cause different command stations and explain different role.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2016, 09:10:33 am »
Well, are virtual windows a possibility? Grab the view from outside the ship and throw it on the wall. Have windows and also armor!

I remember seeing that in Back to the Future II and it made me desperately claustrophobic just in the movie itself.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Vyndicu

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2016, 01:35:39 pm »

I remember seeing that in Back to the Future II and it made me desperately claustrophobic just in the movie itself.

What about the pilot needing situation awareness? You would not necessary want star destroyer colliding with each other *roll eye*.

Beside you could just go with virtual situation awareness as a reason why most ship don't have windows for military ships.

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2016, 10:16:41 am »
What about the pilot needing situation awareness? You would not necessary want star destroyer colliding with each other *roll eye*.

Beside you could just go with virtual situation awareness as a reason why most ship don't have windows for military ships.

Scale in space (speed and so on) would make windows useless anyway, your eyesight wouldn't even be able to spot danger.
Hence windows is good for civilian morale, more or less.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk