Author Topic: Russian language support in the game  (Read 7150 times)

Offline Jlenin147

Russian language support in the game
« on: August 07, 2020, 05:48:11 am »
Good day,
Will the Russian language be supported in the game?

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Russian language support in the game
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 05:10:39 pm »
Not unless someone does a translation. And thus far, no one has to my knowledge.
The language files are just XML files in the game's runtime directory, taking the English one and making a Russian shouldn't be too difficult (you can then throw it in the mods forum and Chris will probably include it!)

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 05:21:35 pm »
Keep in mind that much of the game's text is generated on the fly in C# (for example, all tooltips), and translating that aspect of things is basically impossible.

Offline Jlenin147

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 09:12:55 pm »
Not unless someone does a translation. And thus far, no one has to my knowledge.
The language files are just XML files in the game's runtime directory, taking the English one and making a Russian shouldn't be too difficult (you can then throw it in the mods forum and Chris will probably include it!)
Where can I find this file?

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 06:29:42 pm »
Where can I find this file?

I don't have the game installed right now and I've never looked for AIW2's language file, but if you browse the local files for the game there should be a folder called "runtime data" or similar, and inside that you're going to want to look for another folder called "configuration." I know that Starward Rogue's lang file was called "bionic.xml" as it was dragged forward from Bionic Dues and never got renamed.

But if what Badger says is right, there may not be a whole lot you can mess with. Like I said, I haven't dug into it myself.

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 01:57:59 pm »
There is no single file. The XML is in Steam/steamapps/common/AI War 2/GameData/Configuration, but there are a ton of things in there (GameEntity is a directory to look in for unit names and descriptions, though some descriptions are auto-generated).

Much though not all of the text is generated by C# in the directory Steam/steamapps/common/AI War 2/AIWarExternalCode/src/UIs/InGamePassiveDisplay , and you'd need to modify a lot of that.

See this steam post for some words by Chris: https://steamcommunity.com/app/573410/discussions/0/3397295779069202796/

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 03:29:34 pm »
As Badger notes, the bulk of the text is actually embedded in the code for the game.  We are often dynamically constructing sentences, which is not something that can be translated easily between most languages.  Even amongst the romance languages, word order and sentence construction varies far too much.  When you get to German or Russian, both of which we have had translations to in the past, it gets utterly impossible to do in a single way.

Beyond that, even if you were to manage to translate everything over to any other language, it would not be able to display the characters for the text of most languages.  Most anything outside of basic ASCII will just show up as empty spaces or question marks, so a full Cyrillic set of text would just show up as ?? for the most part.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk