Author Topic: AI War 2 v0.600 Released! "Tutorial Engine"  (Read 5396 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
AI War 2 v0.600 Released! "Tutorial Engine"
« on: October 31, 2017, 03:45:09 pm »
Release notes here!

This one is the first version available to our kickstarter backers as a whole, instead of just the earlier testing groups.

The game is still very much in testing and development, however :)

That said, there's one new key piece: an in-game tutorial, and the engine which makes more of those possible. One of the hardest things to do in maintaining AIWC was changing the tutorial, to the point that we hardly expanded it at all as the game grew, and only updated it for the most fundamental of changes.

Tutorial creation is much easier for us this time around, and highly moddable. There's currently no way of selecting between different tutorials, but that will come soon, and in the meantime if you're interested in writing your own you can look at "Scenario_Tutorial_01" in the code and the various thing's it's connected to. You could then change the Tutorial button to call yours instead of ours, for testing.

When the framework is more stable perhaps we'll post a tutorial on writing tutorials ;)

Enjoy!
Keith
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
Re: AI War 2 v0.600 Released! "Tutorial Engine"
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 04:20:49 pm »
I wanted to take a quick first pass at playing the tutorial. Here are my comments.

In the galaxy screen, you say to "click on the second planet". You actually need to double click or ctl-click. Clicking once just brings up a bit of information about the planet (resources, etc).

Do you actually explain how to capture the planetary controller? It felt like it just happened, but I might also have set "Capture planet" myself because I happen to know how.

Once I nuked the Homeworld, the master controller came to the second planet. I immediately retreated to the first planet. The master controller just sat on the second planet and killed the ships I sent against it. I suspect if I was bored enough I could actually kill the master controller by sending waves of ships and leaving my ark on the first planet.

I eventually suicided my ark into the master controller, but that didn't end the tutorial. I just had to quit back to the main screen. This is.... anticlimactic. At least tell me I lost and how to quit or something.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk