Author Topic: Kickstarter is live!  (Read 38399 times)

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
Re: Kickstarter is live!
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 02:32:52 pm »
Ah the hell with it. $65 so I can name a planet "Sacrificial Victim."
Though I'll probably compile a short-list from The Culture series and share them all in case others at that tier want to follow suit.  I put some here a few weeks ago.
I was amused until I saw it was a Culture reference. To keep ourselves out of trouble we're going to be a bit strict with name suggestions, so watch out.
Planet names lack context most of the time.  I would think anything not directly copyrighted or offensive would be just fine (no planet Deadpool).
The message in a bottle stuff could get into weird and troublesome places though.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline YoukaiCountry

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2016, 02:41:16 pm »
Pledged! Really looking forward to this!

Offline Tigris

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 02:43:39 pm »
Honestly I am a bit disapointed by this kickstarter campagne.
No stretch goals, no community stretch goals, no gifs, no concept art and only 1 video (and it doesn't even look or sound really good).
Actually I thought that some of the stuff which you showed in your preparing for kickstarter video looked stunning, but parts of this video and some of the screenshots just dont look to good.

Also some parts of the video look great (all the scenes where you are near planets with some background), but seeing also some of the (not so nice looking) mockups ruins it a bit.

Furthermore it seems to be so focused on the old one (even showing some of the (not as nice as the new) screenshots etc. of them).

I wanted to bake this game, but after this kickstarter page I am not so sure any longer...

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2016, 02:47:22 pm »
There's no reason to have stretch goals on the first day of a campaign. They're in no way relevant until you hit your goal.

Offline RockyBst

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 02:53:24 pm »
Does someone have the youtube link for the video? I'm trying to embed it.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2016, 02:53:59 pm »
No stretch goals
Still a long way to go before anything like that would even be needed.  There are plenty of ideas for stretch goals and that stuff will show up if there is reason to put it up there.

no community stretch goals
What does this even mean?  I'm not understanding you here.

no gifs
In the works!

no concept art
Referring to hand drawn stuff?
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Tigris

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2016, 02:55:24 pm »
There's no reason to have stretch goals on the first day of a campaign. They're in no way relevant until you hit your goal.

They look nice and give a general feel what is important to the team/what they want to do.
It would have helped at least a bit to know what this game should be... If you have never played AI war you dont really get it from looking at the video.

Here an example of community stretch goals: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/PhilomenaSchwab/20160609/274252/Niche__a_communitybased_Kickstarter_campaign.php

In the works means too late, first impression is important and the first impression this gives is not good...

I am refering to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_art
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 02:58:53 pm by Tigris »

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2016, 02:55:49 pm »
Does someone have the youtube link for the video? I'm trying to embed it.
I don't think it's been uploaded yet (or made public) on YouTube.  I'll ping Chris about it.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2016, 03:00:03 pm »
Community Stretch Goals are the Next Big Thing(tm) in Kickstarter campaigns. Not only do you offer stretch goals based on how much money you earn, but how much you're able to convince your community to push your game on social media channels.

I think they're manipulative and I'm glad we're not doing them.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 03:06:39 pm by Captain Jack »

Offline Tigris

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2016, 03:03:43 pm »
Community Stretch Goals are the Next Big Thing(tm) in Kickstarter campaigns. Not only do you offer stretch goals based on how much money you earn, but how much you're able to convince your community to push your game on social media channels.

I think they're manipulative so I'm glad we're not doing them.

Well they may be manipulative, but for a lot of people they can also be fun (if they are good/interesting ones).
Also manipulating is an important part of selling. Its a way to interact with your community and that is also something people like.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2016, 03:07:21 pm »
I'm really glad my social media footprint doesn't extend past a family only Facebook page that I share pics of the kids on.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2016, 03:11:21 pm »

I think they're manipulative so I'm glad we're not doing them.

Well they may be manipulative, but for a lot of people they can also be fun (if they are good/interesting ones).
Also manipulating is an important part of selling. Its a way to interact with your community and that is also something people like.
What. The best way to handle sales is to provide a product worthy of support. Withholding content against your fans ability to market your product is a terrible way of doing things.

Offline Tigris

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2016, 03:14:24 pm »
Just because you do not like to interact on social media does not mean others do not like it.
Also set the community goals realistic such that they can be done (and additional make them small things you could do but don't have to).

Community goals can also be about fanart or other ways to let the community be creative.

The best way to sell a product is making it look good and advertisement.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2016, 03:21:20 pm »
Community goals certainly sound like something that would be made on a kickstarter.

They still sound pretty dubious though.

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2016, 03:21:44 pm »

I think they're manipulative and I'm glad we're not doing them.

Oh! Now I know what those are. I hadn't heard the term before, but I recognize the description.

I agree with Tigris on those, actually. I don't think they're manipulative. They are a way of engaging with the community and offering some tangible things for community involvement in helping to spread the word. That's a thing a lot of people will do anyway, but a gentle nudge doesn't hurt.

It's not like these would be "Retweet 15000 times or we don't include the Spire faction!", but there's room there to let people see something extra happen if they lend a hand by hitting the share button, posting gameplay videos, streaming for a couple hours, fanart, fan fiction, and such. It takes a lot of effort to manage those campaigns, which is tricky, but I have seen them used to great effect.

That said, if Arcen doesn't have the time to do it, it's better not to. If you have to choose between frequent updates on the KS and these, choose the updates. This is a case where doing it poorly is much worse than not doing it at all.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 03:23:56 pm by Tridus »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk