Author Topic: Is there a way to turn off the log window/s?  (Read 3794 times)

Offline Sounds

• Full Member Mark II
Is there a way to turn off the log window/s?
« on: January 09, 2020, 08:14:03 pm »
Hi there,

Whilst not a major issue, the right hand log window/s in the 'Game Setup' section of the lobby is quite distracting - particularly on the Map Options where it's hiding planets unnecessarily.

Not sure what value this UI element helps end-users outside of debugging purposes, so is there a way to turn this off?

Thanks.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Is there a way to turn off the log window/s?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 09:29:02 am »
There's not at the moment.  I was going to have it show some other stuff, but at the moment it does not.  Part of the reason for it, to be honest, was so that I could center the screen on the planets with them fitting into a neat box in the center of your screen.  Offsetting that was going to be hard.  But I haven't actually gotten to any of this particular code yet (so many things!), so for now it seems extra pointless.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Sounds

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 06:53:07 am »
There's not at the moment.  I was going to have it show some other stuff, but at the moment it does not.  Part of the reason for it, to be honest, was so that I could center the screen on the planets with them fitting into a neat box in the center of your screen.  Offsetting that was going to be hard.  But I haven't actually gotten to any of this particular code yet (so many things!), so for now it seems extra pointless.

I'd say pretty low priority to fix / enhance but it would be great to see more of the map as you're selecting at the stating location.

However I was going to fix/mod it myself out today but I hit an issue with Unity when I tried to boot up AIWar2ModdingAndGUI. Have you encounter this error:

"C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.1.7f1\Editor\Data\Resources\PackageManager\BuiltInPackages\com.unity.timeline\Editor\treeview\TimelineDragging.cs(67,30): error CS0117: 'SelectionManager' does not contain a definition for 'Clear'"

Based on ProjectVersion.txt is mentions the application is using 2019.1.7f1 but as I'm no Unity expert, I didn't want to chase down environment issues if I'm not on the correct version of unity for the game. Any tips for getting this to work?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 02:50:52 pm »
Hmm, you could simply disable the timeline package in your package manager.  I'm not sure what its problem is on your machine, but you are using the right version.  We don't use timeliine in the game, so having that not be in the packages for that project would be harmless.  And in fact it shouldn't be by default anyway, which makes this puzzling.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Sounds

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 11:58:43 pm »
Hmm, you could simply disable the timeline package in your package manager.  I'm not sure what its problem is on your machine, but you are using the right version.  We don't use timeliine in the game, so having that not be in the packages for that project would be harmless.  And in fact it shouldn't be by default anyway, which makes this puzzling.

Hey thanks for the info. It seems this is more to do with the default Unity install and how it reacts to projects files that contain 'enabled' packages regardless of whether they're actually being used. As you can see from the screenshot what's included with the steam mod artefacts is several additional packages that are not used by the project are searched against. Odd behaviour I found was that Unity takes a guess at trying to fix them and fails dismally by opting to replace the next logical package/include with the previously examined line in the project file.

The good news is I fixed it. The only issue being that I spent time on debugging this rather than modding. Fingers crossed next weekend I get to the fun bit. :)

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 09:37:44 am »
Oh yeah, report that as a bug to Unity.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 10:38:27 am »
Definitely.  They will be all over that within 10 years, plus or plus 5 years.  ;D

I'm glad you got it working, though!

Offline Sounds

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 09:13:07 pm »
Definitely.  They will be all over that within 10 years, plus or plus 5 years.  ;D

I'm glad you got it working, though!

Whilst I'm no Unity expert, it is quite obvious that some of their tooling needs work. I suspect bug fixing at unity mainly focuses more on the engine rather than tooling stupidity, but gee I would have thought they'd have worked on a decent parser to process for something as critical as the package manager elements.

Not too worry, I'm just glad I can start tinkering with modding the UI.

FWIW the original issue I managed to fix (see attached). Turns out I actually didn't need unity for that bit, and just needed to customise KDL_UIWindows.xml that's associated with the log element to remove it from custom lobby map screen, which looks a lot better now. I know this should go in a mods file, but I though it would be good for others to know where its located and how I resolved it.

Fingers crossed next weekend I can go a little deeper.

Again thanks for your help. :)

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 10:32:44 am »
The package manager is fairly new. It was in beta (only accessible in a convoluted way) until 2019.1

Offline Sounds

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 11:01:51 am »
The package manager is fairly new. It was in beta (only accessible in a convoluted way) until 2019.1

That explains a lot.

Based on my own non-gaming UI design experience the tooling needs a lot of work, which I'd love to fix, but as I get enough of that as part of my job I'll leave to the unity team 'experts'. ;)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 02:15:00 pm »
Coming next build... ;)

* The right hand chat/log window in the lobby is now hidden, since it isn't used for now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk