Author Topic: From Chris: A happy update! (Oct 20th)  (Read 12794 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
From Chris: A happy update! (Oct 20th)
« on: October 20, 2016, 09:01:24 pm »
To folks in general: I had a long call with some of the higher-ups at kickstarter and our awesome kickstarter rep, and they had hordes and hordes of good advice and information.  There's a lot of things that we can put into practice soon (starting tomorrow), and so you'll start seeing a lot of changes around here.

That said, at the same time we were doing really well on a lot of the largest points, so I'm very pleased about that.  We spoke with a lot of indies before embarking on this, and read a lot of articles and talked to a lot of fans, and clearly that paid off.  We still have a lot to improve on, but they are much more minor compared to the main things they would normally be looking at.

The other thing that they were really clear about: this isn't remotely over.  We need to stick this out to the end, because things ramp up towards the end, and based on the various things I was able to tell them we have planned and in the works (NDAs were abided-by), they think we have a quite good shot.

Basically we're currently in an "awkward place" in some respects, but a place where a lot of campaigns claw their way all the way to the end and/or beyond.  This is based on looking at our market segment, our campaign in specific detail, and all that jazz; not generalized statistics.  We have our work cut out for us for sure, but we're in the zone that a lot of funded kickstarters were at this stage of themselves.

They was quite upbeat, and clear that if our numbers were at a different level "we would have been having a very different conversation."

So!  Today you have heard some about our various contingencies and hedges and backup plans for if things don't work out, and you can rest easy knowing that we do HAVE that sort of thing, but that's the last you're going to hear about any of that sort of thing for a while.  I'm also not going to have time to talk to any publishers or even think about Reverse AI War for a few weeks at minimum, so the 5% or so of attention that was diverted that way is now firmly back on AI War II.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
Re: From Chris: A happy update! (Oct 20th)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 09:03:29 pm »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 09:10:07 pm »
What character is that? :D
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 09:27:52 pm »
What character is that? :D
How do you not know who this is?  Street Fighter's favorite villain!  Raul Julia is so disappoint!
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 10:36:51 pm »
Cool. :)

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 10:39:55 pm »
This is incredibly encouraging  :)

I look forward to seeing the results tomorrow!

« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 10:41:43 pm by chemical_art »
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 11:18:03 pm »
This could become a thing, you realize? Chris not knowing Bison. Almost like him ditching the AMA to play Pokemon Go.  >D

Note: He probably is telling the truth when he says he didn't do it. But he DOES have a kid at Pokemon craze age...

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 11:28:09 pm »
Finally, a light at the end of the tunnel!  :D

I just hope it isn't a train.  :-\

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 11:58:48 pm »
This could become a thing, you realize? Chris not knowing Bison.

Also good to hear about the upcoming strategies.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 12:05:09 am by Draco18s »

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 01:08:26 am »
This could become a thing, you realize? Chris not knowing Bison.

Also good to hear about the upcoming strategies.
That's why I linked to the "Tuesday!" video.  :D It's a rarity to find someone whose not seen it yet.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 01:10:49 am »
I haven't seen the video, yet I know who Bison is.  :P
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 01:14:59 am »
That's why I linked to the "Tuesday!" video.  :D It's a rarity to find someone whose not seen it yet.

Oh I know.  But xkcd was still relevant. :)

Offline jenya

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 06:55:57 am »
Kickstarter spikes and marketing, from the marketing man point of view:
https://www.funded.today/blog/the-myth-of-the-kickstarter-spike-at-the-end

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 10:58:12 am »
Ah!  Yeah, I avoided that movie, but I played that game quite a bit (SFII) back in the day.  A bit in the arcade, though that wasn't my main jam there, and then more on the SNES.

Kickstarter spikes and marketing, from the marketing man point of view:
https://www.funded.today/blog/the-myth-of-the-kickstarter-spike-at-the-end

What he says is true, but I've also gotten this from a much more inside source than him -- aka a guy with all the data from kickstarter itself.  The rise at the end is mainly due to people raising their pledges in a lot of cases, but for a campaign of our sort it's also last-minute spreading of the word and this that and the other.

Make no mistake, just blindly going "it will go up at the end a lot, so we're good!" is idiotic thinking, I agree.  And we're definitely not doing that!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk