Author Topic: BETA AI War 2 v0.865 Released! "The Return Of Deepstriking"  (Read 1772 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Release notes here.

Reminder: to play the beta, you MUST go into your Steam properties for the game, go under the Betas tab, and choose the "current_beta" option.  Otherwise you're going to be stuck on the pre-fleets version of the game.

If you don't know what I'm talking about regarding fleets, then reading this link is a really good thing to do or you are likely to be mighty confused.

So what's new in this build?  This is obviously an incremental one, headed towards the non-beta full release of 0.900 that we're aiming at in the next... weeks?  That timeframe is unclear, and will be based on testing feedback, which has been rolling in well so far; but there will be loads of incremental beta releases during this period.  Anyway, what's new:

• A couple of minor lobby improvements, but nothing super major.

• There are now some lobby options that can be changed during gameplay, and the performance options (stacking is the only thing there right now) have moved to that section.  This prepares us for multiplayer staying in sync down the line.  All the other settings (not lobby options) are player-specific and local-only, versus the lobby options stuff is shared across the entire galaxy.  So this is big groundwork for later stuff.  Thanks to Badger for suggesting.

• A variety of improvements have been made to the selected units / fleets window, including having it show selected fleets instead of individual units when you've selected an entire fleet.  This is pretty useful for a lot of reasons.

• AI units were being aggro'd from way too far away when your ships were just sitting there innocently, and that now both defaults to a (vastly) lower value and also is something you can customize in the lobby options.

• Also AI units were being aggro'd even by your cloaked units, which is fixed.  So between this and the prior change, there's a ton of deepstriking you can now do.  Thanks to Puffin for figuring out these last two ones in terms of what was wrong.

• Fixed a bug where on the galaxy map (and in the lobby) it would often seem to click the wrong planet if you were zoomed out a lot in particular.  Thanks to WeaponMaster for noticing that this was because there were some collision hitboxes we were leaving turned on for icons of "important ships at the planet."  So that should all feel way better, now.

• And then command stations no longer are able to be exploited to keep things like beam cannons from your military command station after transforming it to an economic one.

• Then fixed some other visual glitches and oddities, including a variety centering around the Zenith Trader.

• Side story: I keep working on the fleet management screen on paper and then tossing it out, because it's really complicated in that it can be different between different types of fleets, and I'm not sure how many things we might want to add to this screen in the future in general, which makes it hard to settle on a design.  I've decided today that I'm going to use a settings-screen-like approach with categories and such, but that is all code-driven, which is kind of a cross between the map tab left sidebar in the lobby, and the new in-game galaxy-wide options screen that I implemented today.  The work that has gone into the lobby has given me a big advantage on doing those sort of interfaces super quickly, turns out, so that seems like a reasonable way to design this screen and then it will also be kind of infinitely extensible.

• So the moral of the side story is that I think I can finally stop messing around on paper with the fleet management screen and actually implement that thing without worrying about how I'm hemming myself in (because I won't be).  In some ways it's slightly less elegant than I was planning, but it is definitely going to be more usable, which is the bigger thing to me.  And vastly quicker to implement. It can always be reworked later if need be, I figure, but this would be a great place to start.  It's a relief to have that mechanic figured out.

More to come soon.  Enjoy!

Problem With The Latest Build?

If you right-click the game in Steam and choose properties, then go to the Betas tab of the window that pops up, you'll see a variety of options.  You can always choose most_recent_stable from that build to get what is essentially one-build-back.  Or two builds back if the last build had a known problem, etc.  Essentially it's a way to keep yourself off the very bleeding edge of updates, if you so desire.

The Usual Reminders

Quick reminder of our new Steam Developer Page.  If you follow us there, you'll be notified about any game releases we do.

Also: Would you mind leaving a Steam review for some/any of our games?  It doesn't have to be much more detailed than a thumbs up, but if you like a game we made and want more people to find it, that's how you make it happen.  Reviews make a material difference, and like most indies, we could really use the support.

Enjoy!

Chris
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline RockyBst

• Full Member Mark III
Re: BETA AI War 2 v0.865 Released! "The Return Of Deepstriking"
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 06:07:59 pm »
I've been dipping in and out over the last year, but now it looks like the game is closer to what I'd consider an enjoyable playable state so I've just started my first proper campaign. Not quite sure about the fleet mechanics yet, feels like a lot of the clever microing tricks I used to like are gone under this system, but enjoyable enough.

However when I started I chose the botnet golem ark (obviously). About 2 hours in and I'm massively negative on energy, and hence constantly without forcefields, because for some reason the zombies seem to take up energy. And they're just sticking around on my worlds so I can't suicide them. I'm needing to run 7 matter converters just to keep myself positive, tanking my early game economy until hopefully I can trickle enough metal into a zgen to get back to rebuilding my fleets and expansion. Is the parasite / zombification stuff working as intended / fully thought through, because it's massively bogging me down.

Out of interest, when are are detailed stat breakdowns planned (if not there already and I just can't find them?). Being unable to work out where my metal is going or why I've suddenly dropped to -167k energy out of nowhere is a bit painful.

Anyway, don't take this as overly negative. Keep up the good work with the development!

EDIT: After trashing all the matter converters, 10x speeding to get the zgen up and suiciding my entire fleet I'm now not entirely sure if zombies were taking energy of not. A lot of the ships I saw floating around aimlessly turned out to be parasited ships that needed extra energy before they came online and would take orders.

However, is it intended that the zenith goodies are per-planet caps? I mean, I'm not going to complain about a zenith generator on every nice secure interior planet...

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 06:28:18 pm by RockyBst »

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 01:03:00 am »
I'm pretty sure that ships that you kill with parasites or the botnet become zombies, and zombies don't use Energy from the player. If you'd like to upload a save game someone can take a look.

Offline RockyBst

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 03:46:26 pm »
Happy to admit I might be completely wrong on this, but the whole being able to predict my energy demands thing is throwing me. I've attached an example for you, in the last ten minutes I've captured a planet and built an energy collector and a standard bunch of defences from a MK1 military command, yet gone from +200k energy to -171k without really knowing why.

The answer may come when you look at Micali. I appear to have parasited 38 guardians at 7k energy a pop, and I've got several more waiting in the wings at Septimus to come online when I'm energy positive again. I suspect that I've started building turrets with positive energy, the parasiting process has ignored 'reserved' energy for the turrets, and then I've ended up massively negative with my forcefields knocked offline. Root cause here might just be allowing guardians to be stolen in the first place.

(p.s. not sure about the 1 minute brownout mechanic either. So, so many times in AIWC have I microed a desperate last defence on a diff 9.6 or diff 10 game).

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 04:46:27 pm »
It looks to me like you've been using Abominations and Aberrations purchased from the Zenith Trader to get those units.  The Abominations and Aberrations still give player controllable units that aren't in a fleet, which is a holdover from pre-fleet mode. I'll modify them to generate zombies like regular parasites and the botnet, which should prevent this from happening in the future.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk