Author Topic: AI War II: Kickstarter launches on Monday!  (Read 13992 times)

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
Re: AI War II: Kickstarter launches on Monday!
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2016, 07:53:03 am »
Could folks take a look, especially at the opening and closing paragraphs? I have a short list of additions (forum quotes and reward information) but this is basically final barring any more disastrous holes.
Ok =).

What is AI War 2?
I don't like the first paragraph, it mixes the game's story with a sales pitch and technical presentation of the game. I suggest moving the storyline in its own section. In a storyline section possibly.

Dozens of ship types ranging from fightercraft
Hundreds ? Not sure. Cinth knows that I think.

Cleaning the mechanics up for AI War 2
I get what you mean by "cleaning"... but it's not "only" a clean-up, since a lot of things were reworked / added too. I'm not sure of what could give the sense of that though.

The UI is especially improved. Take tooltips, which are now much shorter but can be locked in place. Mouse over a locked tooltip and another tooltip pops out!
This sounds like the game's done already. Shouldn't that be future tense (will be improved) ?

Thanks to fixing up the usability issues described above, AI War 2 is well placed to deal with Classic’s second major issue: the killer learning curve. AI War is meant to be a hard but fair game, and the start menu should not defeat new players.
This part has smaller font. Doesn't look right.

Originally AI War's story was confined to its opening crawl: the AI rose up, ending an 800 year long human civil war and nearly driving humanity to extinction
Ah, here is the story part. 353 years above, 800 here... something's not right =). I know its 2 different things, but that's the 2 numbers we get. Someone reading fast will get confused.

AI War Classic's code is not mod friendly, given its huge complexity and need for simulation-concurrency. That legacy stuck with our games until this year's Starward Rogue, our first significantly moddable title.
I don't think this is useful. I don't care if "game I don't buy does not have features". I'd suggest removing it.

Arcen & AI War section should probably reference Keith, no ?

Otherwise, it's missing images ;D and the video ;D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 07:55:48 am by kasnavada »

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2016, 06:08:03 pm »
I did not find any disastrous holes.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2016, 06:27:46 pm »
That's good, because I just ADDED a giant hole in the rewards section that I'll be filling up over the next few hours. Then there's combing over the actual description of the rewards and... actually wait that might be it.  :o

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2016, 02:05:36 am »
That's good, because I just ADDED a giant hole in the rewards section that I'll be filling up over the next few hours. Then there's combing over the actual description of the rewards and... actually wait that might be it.  :o

Ummm. The section with rewards is still empty.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2016, 02:27:27 am »

Ummm. The section with rewards is still empty.
Yup! Working on it on a different page.

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2016, 07:22:50 am »
The 40/50 tiers say "get the game in private alpha, estimated delivery January 2017".

The 65/80 tiers say "get the game in private alpha, estimated delivery May 2017".

edit - Every tier from 300 and up also says May 2017 for private alpha.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 07:30:28 am by Tridus »

Offline Admiral

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2016, 11:25:24 am »
Congratulations Chris and the Arcen team. I am so excited to see Arcen score a major success that will power all the other million creative ideas that Chris constantly comes up with long into the future.

Now, I have to go learn how to design space stations... LOL

Offline garion333

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2016, 11:35:40 am »
One thing I am afraid of is that the KS is too heavily dependent on AI War 1 knowledge. It'll look better! It'll be in 3D and run better! Play as the Zenith! Most of that stuff sounds good to someone who has played the first game but other people are likely to shrug.

I feel like "Arcen and AI War" should be moved to the top of the campaign page (after What is AI War II). Those bits feel the most hyped parts of the campaign. The AI War 2 pitch outside of that almost feels like an apology for the bad parts of the first game. Marketing is tough and I'm sure it's too late for my comment to matter. ;)

Anyway, good luck to you guys, you deserve to find success.

Edit: Fwiw, I feel like "Name an in-game planet" and the "message in the bottle" stuff should be offered earlier. Getting Early Access is cool and all, but it's even cooler to be able to put stuff in the game. Can make "Name an in-game planet " tier up (two planets, three planets, etc.). I feel like giving $15/$25 is cool as an early bird backer, but alpha access AND a planet at $40? I'm in! Just alpha access and “message in a bottle” (whatever that is) for $40? I'll sit at $15/$25.

Seriously, what is “message in a bottle” and how is it discoverable and why do I care?

Okay, that's all from me, enjoy my too late comments. ;)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 11:43:55 am by garion333 »

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2016, 12:45:35 pm »
The 40/50 tiers say "get the game in private alpha, estimated delivery January 2017".

The 65/80 tiers say "get the game in private alpha, estimated delivery May 2017".

edit - Every tier from 300 and up also says May 2017 for private alpha.

Delivery date estimates are based on the total contents of the reward tier.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2016, 12:47:16 pm »
Chris explained it on the KS page. Thanks :)

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2016, 12:50:01 pm »
Chris explained it on the KS page. Thanks :)
I haven't gotten to all those comments yet u.u   #Leftcoasttime
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2016, 02:14:59 pm »
I feel like "Arcen and AI War" should be moved to the top of the campaign page (after What is AI War II). Those bits feel the most hyped parts of the campaign. The AI War 2 pitch outside of that almost feels like an apology for the bad parts of the first game. Marketing is tough and I'm sure it's too late for my comment to matter. ;)
I originally had that section there. Turns out that explaining who you are and the premise of your project doesn't noticeably impact KS backing, while explaining what's in the project does. So we moved things to their current configuration.

Edit: Fwiw, I feel like "Name an in-game planet" and the "message in the bottle" stuff should be offered earlier.
Changes to the reward tiers aren't possible after the Kickstarter goes live.  ;) (Though, I'd agree, much less work involved)

Seriously, what is “message in a bottle” and how is it discoverable and why do I care?
Is this a serious question or a theoretical question asked by a would-be backer?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 02:18:59 pm by Captain Jack »

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2016, 03:45:36 pm »
Changes to the reward tiers aren't possible after the Kickstarter goes live.  ;) (Though, I'd agree, much less work involved)

Not technically true.  You can add, remove, and edit reward tiers all you want.....as long as that tier has 0 backers. ;)

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2016, 04:16:24 pm »

Not technically true.  You can add, remove, and edit reward tiers all you want.....as long as that tier has 0 backers. ;)
Touché.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2016, 06:32:19 pm »
You can also resize (increase, decrease, add/remove) the number of limited slots at any time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk