Author Topic: AI War II: Design Document Updates 7: Background Factions  (Read 13028 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
AI War II: Design Document Updates 7: Background Factions
« on: September 09, 2016, 03:51:23 pm »
There is other stuff going on in the design document at the moment, which you may well have noticed if you've been in the ideas subforum.  But this part is complete and also separate from the rest, so I thought I'd highlight this now.

One note, before I continue, though: there are a lot of threads popping up with discussions I have not yet had time to read.  I WILL read them all!  I'm trying to strike a balance between communicating and reading, and actually working on the core design, at the moment, though.  So just know your voice isn't going into a vacuum, and similarly I'm not ignoring your thread on purpose (well, not in the personally-to-do-with-you sense).

New stuff in here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IdzU90psGas_3UFe23BLvsGQ8fclec49NmnbHfwkZ8w/edit#

1.e.v. CSV-based Alternative View Of Data: May be of interest to some of you.
1.e.vi. Modding Helper Windows: ditto

Getting into some real meat here: 2.g.i. Background Human Factions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IdzU90psGas_3UFe23BLvsGQ8fclec49NmnbHfwkZ8w/edit#heading=h.6ki8afiwajrq

And then more of a clarifying note than anything: 2.g.ii. Minor Factions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IdzU90psGas_3UFe23BLvsGQ8fclec49NmnbHfwkZ8w/edit#heading=h.3ghk2ol3mnec

Related to the background factions: 8.d. Background Human Faction Ships: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IdzU90psGas_3UFe23BLvsGQ8fclec49NmnbHfwkZ8w/edit#heading=h.cuvsr3j8dumn

Then a new Section 11: Interface Planning: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IdzU90psGas_3UFe23BLvsGQ8fclec49NmnbHfwkZ8w/edit#heading=h.w946pmy44wk6

There's a bunch of new stuff in sections 7 and 8, which you may noticed, but that's heavily inwork and mostly being discussed in another thread.

Oh, also worth noting:
1. The graphical load testing tool is hilariously behind schedule, as I've not even had time to approach it yet.
2. The logo for the game is done, and you can see it at the top of the design document! :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
Re: AI War II: Design Document Updates 7: Background Factions
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 04:00:40 pm »
May I rise a concern about the ship families? (Yeah, OCD.) If they [background's ships] are human-reserved, I would like to give them a specific family name. For example, guardians are not starships, because starships are shared and guardians are AI-only. However, I don't have a name right now. Maybe "resistance something" or simply "human something"...

I created a brainstorm thread for which ships/mechanisms may go into that new Human-reserved family: here.

EDIT: I love the logo!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 04:02:13 pm by Pumpkin »
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 04:19:16 pm »
Thank you on both! :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Castruccio

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 04:53:33 pm »

2. The logo for the game is done, and you can see it at the top of the design document! :)

Any one else feel like "II" on the AI War II logo at the top of the design document should be more apparent?  It is clearly a logo for AI War II, but the II seems understated somehow. 

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 05:25:17 pm »
That sounds promising =).

:D

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 05:50:36 pm »
gah, I've had my head in the clouds for a couple of days.

I am still mental hung up if my favorite ships will survive the chopping block.

Will try to read it all tomorrow. I just my precious neinzul to live and for my one Zenith ship to live as well  :-\
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Dominus Arbitrationis

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 06:01:09 pm »

Any one else feel like "II" on the AI War II logo at the top of the design document should be more apparent?  It is clearly a logo for AI War II, but the II seems understated somehow.

Every time I look at it, I see the Skyrim logo. The II is a bit hard to see in the top of the design document, but it is pretty obvious that its for AI War II.
Come help out at the Wiki!

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 10:25:29 pm »

I see the Skyrim logo.
Dammit, now that's never getting out of my head.

Anyway, going over this now and it's pretty obvious where you want to go with this, Chris. Pity, I liked my idea more and I'm still going to try and convince you!  :D  ...until we get started for real, no point in wasting time.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:33:22 pm by Captain Jack »

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 06:03:37 am »
I was thinking about how to integrate Minor Factions (and which ones to integrate) and I thought that maybe, backgrounds faction might be implemented as one MF, whose intensity would determine their quantity (or probability for each solar system to have one).

The Human Resistance Fighters, Marauders and Rebelling Colonies are now all one in the background factions (sometimes assist, sometimes attack, and "rescue me to gain a ship type").
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 06:05:49 am by Pumpkin »
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk