Author Topic: AI War 2 v0.607 Released! "Don't Die Harder, Die Smarter"  (Read 4956 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
AI War 2 v0.607 Released! "Don't Die Harder, Die Smarter"
« on: November 18, 2017, 06:05:10 pm »
Release notes here!

Don't Die Harder, Die Smarter

This one goes a long way towards making AIW2's units much more enthusiastic about their jobs.

AI Waves (and Threat in general) now behave in a much more intelligent fashion. Well, except for the enforce-stupid-refusal-to-retreat-for-30-seconds change, which just makes it less annoying. Less annoying to you. Very annoying to the AI.

All ships (not just AI) benefit from the targeting changes that greatly reduce lost efficiency from overkill, and from the pathfinding changes to prefer less dangerous routes where it's still efficient.

Not many interface improvements this time around, but I know many of you will be happy to see range rings when placing turrets. (You'll also be able to place more turrets, thanks to the power balance change)

Tachyon units now take their job seriously, and can actually reveal cloaked enemy ships in a reasonable period of time. At least if it's a reasonable quantity of them. Otherwise you're still going to be target practice for a bit, but at least you'll have something to shoot back at.

Even the simulation itself is working smarter, thanks to zealous application of the Ostrich Algorithm for planets with no opposing forces.

And there's a few other things in there, like a new AI type that loves cloaked units.

Enjoy!
Keith
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
Re: AI War 2 v0.607 Released! "Don't Die Harder, Die Smarter"
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 10:07:41 pm »
Using my desktop I cranked up the speed to +10 and I see a number with a  red % (though the % sign just looks like a slash to me). It ranged from a low of 19 high of 26. I set my laptop  to +10 and it gets a red 24-28.  Interestingly, when the speed was +3 I saw 85% on my desktop!  Strange.

For information, if from your first planet you do nothing but to tell the ark to build fleetships then set the AIP to 100, your ark will survive about an hour. Unsure if that's interesting to anyone.

Hey Keith, there's a crash currently in the game when the AI tries to send a wave after the game has ended with a human loss. The fix is in this patch (I checked pair.Value and pair.Key for null, but I missed that I'd set pair itself to be null in PlaneWave()). This crash only happens after the player has lost so it's not the end of the world (though it is the end of resistance to the glorious AI). 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 08:46:13 am by BadgerBadger »

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 11:12:17 pm »
This crash only happens after the player has lost so it's not the end of the world (though it is the end of resistance to the glorious AI).

It's the AI's final act of revenge.
It calls in a Nameless End which terminates the executable, destroying the entire universe.

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 12:01:11 pm »
There's some really interesting bug where you will stop being able to build new units or capture units (The build menu thinks I have a full cap of units, though I have only a handful of ships). Whenever I see this the Quit button also seems to have stopped working. Save/quit program/reload fixes it. It feels like something is really getting stuck somewhere. No errors in the ArcenDebug log. This happens regardless of whether any SpecialFactions are in the game.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 12:19:46 pm by BadgerBadger »

Offline lessster

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 02:45:25 pm »

The problem that the mouse cannot be used for scrolling upwards still exists in 0.607.

For some reason the camera still does not move upwards when I reach the end of the screen. It works perfectly fine in any other direction but does not register the top part of the screen.
Any possible reason this might have? Something like resolution settings, not recognizing the window size according to the resolution or something like this, believing the window is larger than it actually is?
My current resolution is set to 1360x768 and the game widnow is also set to this but it might think the actual window is larger and does not notice, that I'm at teh end of the screen?

I have exactly the same problem. I'm playing in fullscreen mode (resolution 1920x1080) and can only scroll left, right and downwards, but not upwards when I move my mouse. Using the keyboard I can scroll in all 4 directions.

Game version ist 0.606.

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 11:50:06 pm »
So my Wave changes included using +1.5 (in green) or -0.6 (in red) for the time modifier. These coloured modifiers were not applied if you also had coarse frames (the thing with the C*Number prefix). This patch allows for those modifiers to now be coloured with coarse frames too. no functional change, only cosmetic.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 08:07:27 am »

The problem that the mouse cannot be used for scrolling upwards still exists in 0.607.

For some reason the camera still does not move upwards when I reach the end of the screen. It works perfectly fine in any other direction but does not register the top part of the screen.
Any possible reason this might have? Something like resolution settings, not recognizing the window size according to the resolution or something like this, believing the window is larger than it actually is?
My current resolution is set to 1360x768 and the game widnow is also set to this but it might think the actual window is larger and does not notice, that I'm at teh end of the screen?

I have exactly the same problem. I'm playing in fullscreen mode (resolution 1920x1080) and can only scroll left, right and downwards, but not upwards when I move my mouse. Using the keyboard I can scroll in all 4 directions.

Game version ist 0.606.
Sorry, I thought Chris was watching this, but I think he's tied up elsewhere. Is this only on fullscreen or do you also get it in windowed mode? And what OS?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 11:18:52 am »
I can recreate this on OSX in fullscreen mode only. I also have a workaround of sorts. Set UI scaling to < 1, then you can use the "top of the screen" section that isn't part of the resource bar anymore to scroll up using the mouse. Looks like there's some confusion between the GUI code and the Camera code?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk